PDA

View Full Version : Happenings from Friday's game

Sput
03-07-2005, 06:37 PM
Given the fact that the Cats blew, hand blew hard, a 3-0 lead in the second period, some specator (I can't in good concience call him a fan) had a "Fire Lambert" sign posted on the seat in front of him. According to the paper Lane didn't notice it, but players did. This prompted an artical in todays PG Citizen, having a couple vetrans defending Lane. Here is the link. http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/ Sorry about using a link, but for some reason my computer won't let me paste it then submit the story.

Sput
03-09-2005, 11:20 PM
Monday, March 7, 2005

Veteran comes to Lambert's defence

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Given the way this season has gone, it's only par for the course that the topic has been discussed on the concourse, and Internet forums.
But the sign held aloft at weekend games imploring Prince George Cougars management to fire coach Lane Lambert had his charges fired up.

In fact, it led to some of the best defending this team has done all year. For anyone who thinks the team has bailed on Lambert, one veteran begs to differ.

"There are people out there holding up signs, but they're wrong — it's not like that at all," said overage forward Lee Zalasky.

"Lane's done a great job and prepared us for every game. It's the players who have let each other down. (Saturday) everyone stuck to the system for 60 minutes, and those systems worked (in a 3-1 victory over Spokane). On Friday, we didn't play well in the second period (of a 4-3 loss to Spokane) and it was a different story.

"Myself, when I saw that sign, I wanted to shoot a puck over the glass. Those signs are disappointing, and we'll use that to our advantage. Lane's a good guy and he wants everything to go well for this team and he wants to win bad. It eats at him, I know that for sure, and he's not out there as a player. He sends us out there and tells us what to do, and we're not carrying it out."

Lambert said he didn't see the sign, the likes of which hasn't been evident at the Multiplex since the days leading to the firing of former coach Ed Dempsey. Lambert replaced Dempsey at the helm in October of 2003 after Dempsey's six-plus years as head coach.

The fans' frustration stems from the fact that no Prince George coach, no matter how long or short the tenure, has led the Cougars to a banner of any kind.

"Fans pay their money, and they can say what they want, but for me it's water off a duck's back," said Lambert.

"For me, I've got a job to do. I feel as a coaching staff that we're staying the course and we're on the right track as far as trying to teach these players. It doesn't matter where you go, there will always be people who jump on the bandwagon. The sign didn't come out in the first period (Friday when the Cougars led Spokane 3-0), it came out later on in the game, one of the guys told me."