PDA

View Full Version : Pats deal Tartaglione to Edmonton

nivek_wahs
06-06-2007, 09:29 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=983

PATS DEAL TARTAGLIONE TO EXPANSION OIL KINGS

The Regina Pats have completed a deal with the expansion Edmonton Oil Kings, sending 19-year old goaltender Tommy Tartaglione to the Oil Kings in exchange for 18-year old forward Cody Gross.

Tartaglione (5’9, 199 lbs), the native of Harbour City, California, was acquired by the Pats on October 10th, 2006 from the Vancouver Giants. He appeared in 22 games with the Pats during the 2006-07 season, compiling a record of 10-5-1-0. He posted a 2.88 goals-against average, along with a .899 save percentage, while picking up 3 shut-outs.

Gross (6’0, 177 lbs), the native of Winnipeg, MB, was selected by the Edmonton Oil Kings during Tuesday’s WHL Expansion Draft. He spent the 2006-07 WHL season with the Prince Albert Raiders. Gross collected 6 goals and 5 assists for 11 points, along with 20 PIM’s in 55 games played in his first full season in the WHL. He was originally drafted in the 7th round, 131st overall by the Raiders in the 2004 WHL Bantam Draft.

Pats General Manager Brent Parker had the following comments regarding the trade. “We have very good depth in goal, and we needed to improve our depth at forward in our 1989 age group. Cody will really add to our team speed, and has some offensive upside. We wish Tommy all the best, he was a tremendous team guy, and this will give him a chance to be a starter in the WHL.”

Bran
06-06-2007, 11:25 AM
Aww...

Kind of expected it, though, with Bosch coming up. I hope he gets a chance to start out there...he deserves that much. He'll certainly be missed around here! Good luck, Tommy!!

Swando
06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
I was hoping the Giants would deal to get him back in Vancouver. Tommy is a very sound goalie and would have been a good match to back up Sexsmith.

nivek_wahs
06-07-2007, 08:17 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=f9bb6af9-99a1-4fab-97a4-6406a1911ba5

Gross pulls off hat trick

Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, June 07, 2007
Cody Gross's loyalties were all over the map on Tuesday.

The 18-year-old centre started his day as a member of the Prince Albert Raiders, with whom he played in 2006-07. By late afternoon, Gross learned he had been selected by the Edmonton Oil Kings in the expansion draft. Then, about an hour later, Gross received a call from the Oil Kings informing him he had been traded to the Regina Pats for backup goaltender Tommy Tartaglione.

The Pats announced the trade on Wednesday.

"It's funny, being on three teams in about two hours," Gross said from his home in Winnipeg. "I was joking with my buddy, 'Who's going to call next? Rimouski? Am I going to Quebec?' "

Not if the Pats have anything to say about it.

The 6-foot-0, 177-pounder was coveted by GM Brent Parker, who's eager to improve his depth up front. Prior to acquiring Gross, the team's only established 18-year-old forward was Brett Leffler.

"We had depth in goal but we don't have a lot of depth in that '89 (age) group at forward," said Parker. "We have Leff and (prospect) Matt Strueby, and as much as we think of Matt, he's still an unproven commodity. Cody played in the league and had a real good second half last year from what we saw. He has tremendous speed and a real offensive upside."

Gross recorded six goals and five assists in 55 games as a rookie playing on P.A.'s fourth line last season. The previous year, he lit it up as a member of the midget AAA Winnipeg Thrashers, notching 29 goals and 61 points in 39 games.

"I consider myself a skilled offensive player who can skate and handle the puck and make plays," reported Gross. "Last year, that wasn't really my role, but as I get older I'd like to take on that role as more of a goal scorer and playmaker. (Last year's experience) made me a more adaptable player."

Parker is especially high on Gross's ability to adapt to today's style of game. He will immediately be one of the fastest players on the Pats, who already have a strong skating club.

"We saw the importance of speed in the playoffs," noted Parker, referring specifically to the WHL-champion Medicine Hat Tigers.

"I've always worked on my speed," added Gross. "I've always tried to make that my most important thing. It's becoming more of a speed game now so that's what you have to do. You have to be fast."

Gross is adjusting quickly to the idea of playing for the Pats, who are expected to challenge for the East Division title next season.

Upon learning he had been selected in the expansion draft, Gross was initially torn between the excitement of going to a new team and the disappointment of leaving his first WHL home in P.A.

Then, without warning, a second bombshell dropped.

"It happens; it's a part of the game," he said of the trade. "Regina is a good place to play. I've heard a lot of good things about it (from ex-Pats), guys like Jesse Deckert and Ryan McDonald (who played in P.A. last season), even Todd Davison (who died of cancer last fall). He was my coach in midget and he just loved Regina. I'm super excited to go there and have a fresh start."

NOTE: The Saskatoon Blades swung a pair of deals on Wednesday, sending C Blair Macaulay, 19, to the Tri-City Americans for power forward Michael Kaye, a 20-year-old Saskatoon native. The Blades also shipped F Chris Cloud, 19, to the Vancouver Giants for a conditional bantam draft pick in 2008. Kaye is the only 20-year-old on Saskatoon's roster.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-07-2007, 07:36 PM
I am a little disappointed that I won't seeing Tommy floppin' around in the crease next season in a pats jersey, but the trade is better for both teams. Tommy gets a starting position(potentially, and probably) and more ice time, and Regina keeps the youth moving up. I would prefer to see Tommy stay here, but seeing as how bosch is ready for the Dub, it came down to the 2 other goalies. I hope Tommy does well in edmonton.

As for Gross, I hope this kid is as good as Parker says he is. His points arent that high, but neither were reich's, and he showed us that he is a good player. I have heard good things about Cody, and I cant wait to see him play, but I wont be upset if Summer Holidays lasts too long.

Oh yeah, and I totally predicted the trade way far in advance.

:groovy: :groovy: :groovy: :groovy: :groovy:

zinger
06-07-2007, 09:32 PM
I said, I heard Cody Gross was traded to Regina by Edmonton.
your response :

Where exactly did you hear that from? Why would Regina trade for gross anyways? It wouldnt make sense.

.... I have heard good things about Cody, and I cant wait to see him play...

Oh yeah, and I totally predicted the trade way far in advance.

Can you say..CONTRADICTION ? haha
Altough I'm sure you said that, tongue in cheek.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-07-2007, 11:12 PM
I said, I heard Cody Gross was traded to Regina by Edmonton.
your response :

Can you say..CONTRADICTION ? haha
Altough I'm sure you said that, tongue in cheek.

What I meant was I predicted that Tommy was going to edmonton, not that we would get Cody Gross. You expect too much!

Actually, I was playing along and waiting for everyone else to find out. Im not the type to spoil surprises.