PDA

View Full Version : Boogaards enforcing some youngsters with tips

nivek_wahs
06-08-2007, 08:34 AM
I wasn't sure where I should post this so I posted it here...

http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=effca3e4-4782-4de1-828d-974e4c819811

Boogaards enforcing some youngsters with tips
Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, June 08, 2007

When Aaron and Derek Boogaard take a wannabe tough guy to school, they usually do it on the ice.

The venue switched to the classroom this week when the Boogaard brothers, who make the Hansons of Slap Shot fame look like lightweights, staged their inaugural hockey fighting camp at the Puckmasters training centre.

The first of its kind -- in Regina, at least -- the clinic included over 30 registered players from age 12 to 18 who signed on to receive a crash course from two of the toughest customers in the game.

"We're out here to show kids how to look after themselves when they're on the ice," explained Derek, a 25-year-old enforcer with the Minnesota Wild. "We're showing them the little things that would help them out, rather than them learning the hard way and getting hurt."

You'd be hard-pressed to find two more qualified instructors.

Derek, also known as the Boogeyman, is coming off his second full season with Minnesota. At 6-foot-7 and 260 pounds, he's regarded by many as the most intimidating pugilist in the NHL. Aaron, a 6-foot-3, 245-pounder, just completed his junior career with the Tri-City Americans and recently signed a contract with the Pittsburgh Penguins. During his time in Tri-City, Aaron established himself as one of the most feared fighters in the WHL.

"It's a greasy job," he said, "but somebody has to do it."

The debate on whether fighting belongs in hockey has gained momentum in recent years, but the Boogaards believe it will always have a place. In fact, Derek and Aaron view fighting as a skill like any other, one that requires constant work and refinement.

"If everybody could be a 100-goal scorer, that's what the whole league would be," noted Derek. "You have your goal scorers, you have your checkers and you have your physical players."

By definition, physical players are required to be accountable for their actions -- sometimes with the gloves off.

When it happens, you better be ready.

"There are a lot of aspects to (fighting), lots of strategies," explained Aaron, 20. "(Derek) is big enough and has a long enough reach to grab anybody in the middle of their jersey and toss them around and stand back and throw. But smaller guys like me, fighting guys the same size, I have to be smart. I have to know where to grab. You have to do your research too and know who's left (handed) and who's right. It's pretty strategic nowadays. Guys are getting bigger and stronger. You can get hurt."

Therein lies the impetus behind the fighting camp, which is more about preventing injuries than causing them.

"I had to learn the hard way," noted Derek. "My first year (in the WHL) with Regina and Prince George I got beat up a lot. That was tough but you always learn from your bumps and bruises."

The same goes for Aaron, whose first lesson came at age 16 in his debut fight against towering Regina Pats defenceman Mat Trojovsky.

"I ended up with four stitches in my eyebrow," he recalled with a laugh. "I realized I had to be a little bit stronger if I wanted to fight with the big guys. That's the biggest thing you can do in a hockey fight is learn from experience, pick up any little tips anyone can give you."

Regardless of their intentions, the Boogaards know they'll be open criticism for teaching kids how to fight. Inevitably, some observers will suggest they're setting a bad example.

"The people who say this is a bad thing -- because it's going to happen -- just tell them to cool it, relax, sit back and watch (what he's teaching)," said Derek. "It's not a bad example. A bad example is letting a kid go out there and fight and get himself hurt. This is to protect the kids, bottom line."

The Boogaards have refined their techniques over the years, but the foundation was actually learned as youngsters. Growing up in Regina, the family's living room was often a training ground for the brothers to stage their infamous wrestling matches.

"Not even mom would get in the middle of it," chuckled Derek.

"It all starts with wrestling," added Aaron. "You learn how to get out of tight spots and get in tight spots if you don't really want to fight the guy."

As the older brother, Derek was usually on the winning end of those matches. However, now that Aaron is in the Penguins' organization, a rematch could be on the horizon at the NHL level.

"Hopefully I make it sooner or later," he added. "But I'm not too disappointed that (the Penguins and Wild) only play each other once a year. Hopefully we still have (Georges) Laraque around to take care of him before I do."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
06-29-2007, 02:25 PM
The Boogaards giving tips to kids? uh oh, that can't end well. :laugh:

Brazz
07-13-2007, 07:57 AM
That is one hockey camp I would love to attend. I'm sounds like one of a kind