PDA

View Full Version : Moir joins Thunderwolves

Scout
06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
Last updated at 9:47 AM on 08/06/07

Moir makes committment to play University hockey

The Southwest Booster

Former Swift Current Broncos goaltender Kyle Moir will be heading east this fall to continue his hockey career.

Moir has committed to play for the Lakehead Thunderwolves of the Ontario University Athletic (O.U.A) League. The Thunderwolves had a 14-10-2 OUA record last season and an overall mark of 18-15-2.

It has been a busy off season for the Thunderwolves, as they have brought on a new coach, and have had an aggressive recruiting plan which has seen them sign former Lethbridge Hurricanes captain Kris Hogg and four-year WHL veteran Devin Welsh.

Moir capped an impressive WHL career by being named the Canadian Hockey League Home Hardware Humanitarian of the Year, after earlier winning the Western Hockey League's Doug Wickenheiser Humanitarian Award.

Moir graduated from the Broncos following a five-year WHL career, where he appeared in a Canadian Hockey League record 233 career games.

The Calgary native was a fifth round draft choice of the Nashville Predators in the 2004 Draft.

The overage netminder noted he is looking forward to attending Lakehead and playing for the Thunderwolves.

"I'm really excited to go back to school and get a chance to play university hockey for a great program," Moir stated in a press release. "I came to Thunder Bay last month and I really liked the school and the city. I'm also really looking forward to the opportunity to take part in the national championships that Lakehead will host."

Lakehead Athletic Director Tom Warden said the addition of Moir will give Lakehead a solid goaltending tandem.

"We're very pleased to have Kyle join our school and our hockey program. He is a very skilled goalie who has been recruited by many universities in Canada. He will be a great complement to Chris Whitley in the Lakehead goal and will give the Thunderwolves and excellent goaltending tandem."