PDA

View Full Version : Playoff formats

a7x
03-08-2005, 02:11 AM
I say the WHL switch to the OHL playoff format. Their format lets the top 8 teams from each conference advance to the playoffs. Not the top 4 from each division. This format makes more sense to me.

What say you?

Orv
03-08-2005, 02:41 AM
I like that format but I also like the current one, oh I'm so torn.

It would give the playoffs a different look.

If the playoffs were to start today in the OHL format it would look like this (I'm assuming that the don't give division winners 1st and 2nd automatically like in the NHL).

West
1. Kelowna vs. 8. Kamploops
2. Kootenay vs. 7. Tri-City
3. Seattle vs. 6. Everett
4. Vancouver vs. 5. Portland

Not too much change but a little tweekage.

East
1. Brandon vs. 8. Swift Current
2. Lethbridge vs. 7. Prince Albert
3. Medicine Hat vs. 6. Red Deer
4. Saskatoon vs. 5. Calgary

It gives it a little different look. It'd be interesting.

(I hope these are right :) )

Thunderbird107
03-08-2005, 05:28 AM
I like that format but I also like the current one, oh I'm so torn.

It would give the playoffs a different look.

If the playoffs were to start today in the OHL format it would look like this (I'm assuming that the don't give division winners 1st and 2nd automatically like in the NHL).

Actually, they are seeded 1-2 in the O.

Toronto - Heading into the final month of the 2004-05 Ontario Hockey League regular season, several playoff positions are still to be determined.

The top eight teams in each conference qualify for the OHL playoffs with the division leaders ranked one-two in each Conference. In the first round of the playoffs, first place plays eighth, second plays seventh, third plays sixth and fourth plays fifth in each conference. Teams are re-seeded within their division after each round with the champions from each conference playing in the OHL Championship Series.

West
1. Kelowna vs. 8. Kamploops
2. Kootenay vs. 7. Tri-City
3. Seattle vs. 6. Everett
4. Vancouver vs. 5. Portland

Not too much change but a little tweekage.

East
1. Brandon vs. 8. Swift Current
2. Lethbridge vs. 7. Prince Albert
3. Medicine Hat vs. 6. Red Deer
4. Saskatoon vs. 5. Calgary

It gives it a little different look. It'd be interesting.

(I hope these are right :) )

So it would be Seattle v Tri-City and Kootenay v Everett in the first round. The East would remain the same.

The_Vulk
03-08-2005, 05:08 PM
One can then go one step further.

The division leaders are seeded 1-2, and the next 6 teams in the conference are then seeded 3-8 respectively.

This both rewards the division leaders, and also allows the best teams to be in the playoffs.

Currently, a team with a better record is out, while a weaker team is in, because of the division they are in.