PDA

View Full Version : GM happy with prospects

Sput
06-11-2007, 09:53 PM

Cats’ GM happy with prospects

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

Because he spent so much time loitering behind a bench, Dallas Thompson had an opportunity to put first impressions to the test this past weekend.

Thompson, the general manager of the Prince George Cougars, liked what he saw from the most recent draft class when the WHL team combined with the Portland Winter Hawks for a prospects camp in Calgary.

While the hopeful Cougars managed a one-goal loss and a tie with the best unproven Winter Hawks list players, Thompson wasn't about to let those results soil the efforts he saw on and off the ice.

"I'm happy with what I saw, and in particular with how some of our older prospects are getting bigger," said Thompson, a day after watching the Baby Cats and Baby Hawks, if you will, skate to a 4-4 draw.

On Friday, Portland's prospects won 3-2.

"When you draft them, they're boys, and then you hold a camp like this one down the road and you can see them growing up and filling out. They're getting stronger, which they have to so they can handle the strength and pace of the game at this level. We had good practices, two good games, and the sessions with the players and parents went well -- we think it was an overall success."

Thompson witnessed the progression of 24 list players, including this year's first-round pick Brett Connolly of Prince George. Of greatest importance was getting a feel for which 16-year-olds will deserve top consideration going into the fall camp.

The early favourites? Don't lose the names Ryan Kowalski, Art Bidlevski and Lane Menage -- all are in a good position to be full-time WHL players next season. Kowalski, whose father is a former Prince George resident and Cougars scout, and Bidlevski, from Kelowna, have signed the standard WHL education contract.

"We got a good look at our (1991-born prospects), and that was important because they're the ones who will have an opportunity to make the team," said Thompson, who finds himself having to replace at least nine roster players from the club that won two playoff series this past spring.

"We had one 16-year-old last year (Dale Hunt) and with our turnover we're going to have, that number will be higher. We felt there were some guys in Kowalski, Bidlevski and Menage who will play in this league. There were other guys who looked good as well, but in particular those three did a lot to help their development."

Bidlevski, who has earned a reputation as a steady player with a mean streak, impressed Thompson with his strength, assertiveness and toughness. The defenceman was in the lone fight in the two games.

"He was solid all weekend and you could tell he'd put the work in," said Thompson.

"He has a good head about him and sees the game well. He sticks his nose in there, and it was a very physical weekend. There were a lot of hard hits, and that's good to see. When you bring another team into it because that automatically brings the intensity level up."

It's a murkier crystal ball, with the 1992-born players unable to suit up full-time until the 2008-09 season, but Thompson was pleased with the most recent draft class.

"I hadn't seen most of those players, and I was very happy with what I saw," said Thompson.

"Connolly was excellent, but so were Brock Hirsche, who was the captain of his team in Letbhridge last year, and Tyler Kizuik, a defenceman from Saskatchewan who was born here in Prince George. Those three should be able to step in when it's their time. For those guys, a year playing AAA midget will definitely help them get ready."

n The Cougars are closing in on announcements to fill two vacant positions -- assistant coach and trainer.

The Cats have been on the hunt for an assistant to work with Drew Schoneck since the firings of Mike Vandekamp and Stew Malgunas in November. Travis Friesen, who had been the athletic therapist for three seasons, stepped down two weeks ago so he could move back to his hometown of Calgary.

"I did three interviews each for trainer and assistant coach while I was (in Calgary)," said Thompson.

n Upcoming Cougars-related dates of note -- NHL entry draft, June 22-23 in Columbus, with winger Dana Tyrell a good bet to go in the first round; CHL import draft, June 27, done by conference call.

The team's 2007-08 regular season schedule won't be released until late July. Training camp will commence in the third week of August.