PDA

View Full Version : Truitt Steps Down to Take Professional Post

eecliff
06-12-2007, 03:35 PM
6/12/2007
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Tuesday June 12 2007 Kelowna, BC: The Kelowna Rockets today announced that Head Coach JEFF TRUITT has resigned from the team in order to accept a coaching position with an, as yet, un-named professional organization. Truitt joined the Rockets as an Assistant Coach to former Head Coach, Marc Habscheid, for the 2000-01 season and took over the head job himself at the start of the 2004-05 season. During Jeff's 7-year tenure in Kelowna, the Rockets participated in 3 consecutive Memorial Cups, capturing the title in 2004. Truitt led the club to the 2005 WHL Championship in his first year as Head Coach and, as an Assistant, was instrumental in the Rockets' successful run to the 2003 WHL title. "Jeff has been a great employee and an excellent coach for our organization," said President and General Manager, Bruce Hamilton. "He came in here 7 years ago and, along with Marc (Habscheid), helped turn our culture into a winning one." "He's a guy who comes to work every morning and gives everything he has. We'll always have a lot of fond memories of Jeff's time here. Our family thanks him from the bottom of our hearts for what he's given this organization." "We'll miss him and we wish him nothing but the best as he moves on to pro hockey," continued Hamilton. "But, the team hiring him has had interest in him for a couple of years now. He's been to 3 Memorial Cups, so there was not a lot more for him to accomplish at the WHL level." "He's ready for a new challenge at the professional level." "Today is certainly a day of mixed emotions for me," said Jeff. "On the one hand, I'm very excited to be moving up to the next level. It's a great opportunity for me with a great team." "But, having been here for seven years and helping build something, it's very emotional saying good-bye. Being a part of this organization has been a very special time in my life." "I've had a chance to coach some great players and quality young men in my time here. I can only thank them all for their co-operation and dedication over my seven years here." Hamilton doesn't anticipate a long wait before naming Truitt's successor behind the Rockets' bench. "We're going to give it some time and go through the process to see who might be interested," said Hamilton. "We know we already have quality coaches and good people here (Assistants Ryan Huska and Kim Dillabaugh) in whom I have the utmost confidence. It will be interesting to see if any other serious candidates emerge in the next while.

rinkrat
06-12-2007, 07:26 PM
Has there been any speculation as to where he is going?

eecliff
06-12-2007, 10:01 PM
There is to be announcement in the next day or two on where he is going.

I’m suspecting an AHL team.
Here is some of the speculation that may back up my thought about an AHL team.

Posted on Regan's Rant
Friday, June 8, 2007

If your a well established coach in the Western Hockey League, two opportunities in the American Hockey League may interest you.
Jeff Ward was recently named the new head coach of the Springfield Falcons - the Oilers American Hockey League affiliate - and is looking for an assistant.
Kelly Guard's team, the Binghamton Senators are without a head coach, after David Cameron moved back to the Ontario Hockey League.

Posted on Regan's Rant
Tuesday, June 12, 2007
Truitt Talks About Moving to Pro's

It pains me to say today that Jeff Truitt is no longer the coach of the Kelowna Rockets. I knew this day was coming, and I let it out of the bag as quietly as I could on this blog a few days ago with a post about two openings in the American Hockey League that SOME WHL coaches may be interested in.

This is the transcript of the interview I had with Truitt this afternoon.

Your thoughts on leaving the Rockets after 7 seasons?

"I have mixed emotion because I am leaving a quality organization. The way we have been treated by Bruce Hamilton and everyone in the Rockets organization has been second to none. But in saying that, we are excited about the challenge ahead and moving up to a new level".

What is it going to be like coaching pro players after spending so many years in junior?

There is always going to be an adaptation to the players your coaching, but coaching is coaching. No matter if your coaching little guys, major junior or pro's, you need to know your players and find out what makes them tick, and make them better. But at the pro level, they are more mature as they want to make it to the next level, so your player management has to be good".

You've been a head coach for the last three years, what will it be like to get back to an assistant coaching role for you?

"I think at the next level it's wise to sit back a little, learn the ropes and find out what it's all about. It's a position I am familiar with, it's nothing new to me, and I am looking forward to developing players and being a part of that."

Jeff, what is the highlight of your time as a head coach with the Rockets?

"Winning the WHL title in Brandon and the Memorial Cup in London will always be a highlight for me. Even though we didn't preform well there, it was a thrill to see the work we did over the season pay off, and got the guys to the pinnacle of the season."

Truitt will leave for his new post in the first week of August.

eecliff
06-13-2007, 10:23 PM
The former coach of the Kelowna Rockets has been named an assitant coach for the Edmonton Oiler's American Hockey League affiliate. Jeff Truitt will join Geoff Ward behind the bench of the Springfield Falcons for next season. The Saskatchewan native leaves the Rockets after seven years as part of the coaching team, with the past three years as Head Coach. Truitt has helped guide the Rockets to two W-H-L Championships, two W-H-L regular season titles, three consecutive trips to the Memorial Cup tourament, and one Memorial Cup victory. The Rockets announced Truitt's resignation yesterday.

eecliff
06-13-2007, 10:27 PM
Posted Today on Regan's Rant
Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Truitt's Move Makes Sense in More Ways Than One!
The timing couldn't have been more right for Jeff Truitt.
Pro jobs come and go quickly, and when you are offered the chance to move up the coaching ranks, you have to seize the opportunity.
Truitt did that Tuesday.
With the 2007-2008 regular season now just over 3 months away, many believe Truitt would have been on the chopping block had the Rockets gotten off to slow start this season.
Oh sure the Rockets will be a considerably better team than a year ago, but substantially better?
If the Rockets struggled just 10 games into next season, hockey fans in these parts would be calling for his head. It happened last season when the Rockets iced a young team, short on talent.
General Manager Bruce Hamilton wouldn't come out and say it, but the leash for Truitt coming into this season was likely a short one, and had the team struggled 20 or 30 games in, my gut feeling is Hamilton would have made a change and pulled the trigger, sending Truitt towards the unemployment line.
I'm not saying Truitt avoids a disaster waiting to happen by leaving the organization, but the room for error behind the Rockets bench was extremely small. Truitt's successor, whoever he may be, will be able to struggle and get away with it, something Truitt no longer had the luxury of.
Truitt new job allows him the ability to again get out of the spotlight. As an assistant coach, Truitt can wait patiently, like he did in Kelowna, for his chance to prove he can get the job done at the pro level.
He did it in junior, and will again prove to us he can do it at the next level.
Now that Truitt is with a new organization, he has bought himself some wiggle room, something he unjustly was running out of within the Rockets organization.
Truitt officially joins the Edmonton Oilers family today, and as an assistant coach of the American Hockey League team, I wish him all the success in the world. To say I'll miss him is an understatement.