PDA

View Full Version : Watt traded to Red Deer

old_time_hockey
06-13-2007, 12:20 PM
JD Watt traded to Red Deer Rebels

The Vancouver Giants have traded 20 year-old forward J.D. WATT to the Red Deer Rebels. In exchange the Giants receive 19 year-old defenceman MIKE BERUBE (http://whl.ca/en/stats/player.php?id=24100) and a 2008 conditional WHL bantam draft pick.

Berube will be entering his 4th season in the WHL. The 6'1", 215lbs. blue-liner from Edmonton, Alberta is coming off his most productive campaign, collecting 20 points in 66 games for the Rebels. Originally drafted into the WHL by the Prince George Cougars in 2003, Berube has played 189 regular season games.

"Mike will be a welcome addition to our defence corps as we expect to lose a handful of d-men from our championship run this spring," says Giants General Manager Scott Bonner. "He's a solid, puck-moving defenceman that we expect to provide leadership to our team, both on and off the ice."

Originally a 6th round pick by the Giants in the 2002 WHL Bantam Draft, Watt went on to play 197 regular season games in Vancouver. Last season, the Cremona, Alberta native set career highs in goals, points, and plus minus and was named the club's Most Improved Player. Watt was a 4th round pick of the Calgary Flames in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and signed a contract with the club earlier this year.

"J.D. has established himself as one of the top power forwards in the WHL the past few seasons," adds Bonner. "He has a bright future ahead of him in pro hockey and the Giants organization wishes him the best in his future career."

In a separate transaction, the Giants have acquired the rights to forward TYLER PISTONE from the Medicine Hat Tigers in exchange for the rights to forward WACEY HAMILTON. Pistone, a 5'11", 160lbs right winger from Nanaimo, BC has just completed his first year in the BCHL with the Nanaimo Clippers. In 49 games as a 16 year-old, Pistone had 8 goals, 10 assists, and 19 penalty minutes.

GF71
06-13-2007, 01:27 PM
The Watt deal was in the works since the playoffs. This is why he was protected. (Same reason why Kraus was protected too) They had to wait until the draft was over, as Edmonton had the right to veto any trades prior. The teams were haggling over what was coming back to the Giants. This was orchastrated by the Calgary Flames, ala Cam Cunning. I am pretty shocked that they got that much for him, but with the Flames involved they must know he is going to play there. Somebody else can now worry about good Watt vs. bad Watt. He will be happy though...he will be close to home and family.

Priceisright
06-13-2007, 02:39 PM
:wave: JD. good luck. :clap:

Jimmy
06-13-2007, 06:22 PM
Watt was a favourite of mine on the g-men :(
Wish him all the best.

rinkrat
06-13-2007, 06:31 PM
So Bonner traded Watt for Berube and a 2008 draft pick,then we use that pick to give to Saskatoon for Cloud. So in effect Watt got us two 19 year olds,Cloud and Berube. :)
Who was it saying we should leave Watt exposed in the expansion draft? (*cough,cough* Dondo :wave: )
Just teasing ya Dondo! Great job Bonner,lets see what else is up your sleeve. Get some more 19 year olds. :clap:

Knuckles Muldoon
06-13-2007, 06:33 PM
Like most fans, I had a love-hate thing with Watt. When he played hard, but not over the edge, he was a terrific player. Unfortunately, he just didn't know where the line was and dumb penalties followed him around like the plague. How many hits from behind does a guy have to throw before he starts to understand? Especially in big games? I don't necessarily think he's a selfish player, just undisciplined, and that hurt the team on many an occasion. But I wish him well. He's done an awful lot for the Giants and played a lot of good hockey here. Those 34 goals last season are nothing to sneeze at. I don't really think he's ready for pro hockey yet. But he has a chance to be a good pro when the time comes.

Next up, Tim Kraus! :)

Knuckles Muldoon
06-13-2007, 06:35 PM
So Bonner traded Watt for Berube and a 2008 draft pick,then we use that pick to give to Saskatoon for Cloud. So in effect Watt got us two 19 year olds,Cloud and Berube. :)
Who was it saying we should leave Watt exposed in the expansion draft? (*cough,cough* Dondo :wave: )
Just teasing ya Dondo! Great job Bonner,lets see what else is up your sleeve. Get some more 19 year olds. :clap:

Yep. There's one crucial veteran spot on the defense filled. I wonder if Bonner is planning on Mikkelson being back or not. If the Giants acquire one more vet for the back end, I'd say not. The Watt/Berube trade makes a lot of sense at this point.

dondo
06-13-2007, 06:53 PM
thanks RR I love you too :p

two 19year olds.. both of which seem to be plumbers, but w/e --

Berube's numbers are tragic in my mind -- how can a "puck-moving" defenseman get 7 points in 52 games last season and been considered a puck-moving defenseman. I think we just acquired a depth player so deep that it'll take a crane to pull him out.

Also the -6 doesn't make me feel any better about this deal. I think there was a better player to acquire for Watt who was going to either the Hitmen or the RD Rebels. I think Bonner got screwed on this one.

I question Watt's heart, effort and smarts .. when he was on he was a great player, but when he was off he was a true liability. I suppose I wish him luck, but part of me is just happy to see him gone. The Rebels have a bit of a headache on their hands.

rinkrat
06-13-2007, 07:05 PM
I think Bonner got screwed on this one.
But you were suggesting we leave Watt exposed for the expansion draft,we could've very easily got nothing for JD. Besides,sounds like Cloud is a similar player with less offensive skills. I like those two deals. The Giants are building depth especially at the 19 year old age.

old_time_hockey
06-13-2007, 08:35 PM
thanks RR I love you too :p

two 19year olds.. both of which seem to be plumbers, but w/e --

Berube's numbers are tragic in my mind -- how can a "puck-moving" defenseman get 7 points in 52 games last season and been considered a puck-moving defenseman. I think we just acquired a depth player so deep that it'll take a crane to pull him out.

I was thinking the same thing. But then thought that even if you can move the puck, you have to have someone to give it to that can finish to get points. From what I could see Red Deer isn't all that deep in that department.

It's one of those time will tell situations I think.

Swando
06-13-2007, 10:31 PM
I a sort ah think we may have got John Flatters back. That may be not so bad but it won't help a great deal either. It's the draft pick that is the big thing in mo...if Watt palys in the whl we get a higher draft pick. I'don't see him playing Pro next yr so it will be a better pick...Good job Bonner

Knuckles Muldoon
06-13-2007, 11:02 PM
The Giants are building depth especially at the 19 year old age.

That's what it looks like to me, too. They'll take their core guys (Repik, Lucic, Machacek, Blum, Regs, Sexy) and surround them with solid, but unspectacular vets, and give it a go. Throw in the young guys like Bouma, Wright and Kane, and we've got a pretty curious-looking line-up for next year. The unknown commodity is who the 20 yo spots will be. Right now, it looks like Bonner isn't expecting any of the drafted 19 yo's back. I'm expecting a similar kind of feel to the start of the 2005-2006 season where we had a lot of new guys and had to establish a new identity right from the start of training camp. That's where we are now, and I'm excited about that.

N.W. Bruin
06-14-2007, 12:31 AM
Hanzal, Starkov and the Sutters. But a pretty young team after those guys. The fact remains though Berube has had problems with where ever he played first in P.G. than in R.D. Not highly regarded as a offensive D-man and not the PP guy on either of those teams. He does give the Giants depth though. Blum, Regner, Toigo and Berube and who knows if they will take a Euro D-man now. If they do hopefully the team will make it three quality D-men from Europe that they have taken.

dondo
06-14-2007, 12:56 AM
yeah I know RR.. but to get two 19 year old plumbers in return is almost like getting nothing.

I suggested leaving him exposed so that we didn't lose any of our young guys, but neglected to take into account his marketability (which is actually less than I thought considering what we got back) -- at his best JD is a very dangerous power-forward capable of taking a game in hand with the right line-mate -- Reese and he found magic for a few weeks and then petered off at his worst a defensive and penalty liability -- but he's got to be better than a pick and a D-man who's bounced around the league and has suspect numbers. It didn't take a genius to figure out he would be dealt closer to Calgary and the Flames.

I have hopes for Cloud being an energy guy, but Berube doesn't even look good enough to replace Flatters, let alone Festerling, Thelen, Mikks and Franson. Sorry but depth for depth sake has never excited me and squandering an asset getting a very marginal player in return is pretty poor.

Lord knows we need defensive depth, but I am sure that Watt could have commanded a better player than Mike Berube appears to be. Maybe I'm hung up on "puck-moving defenseman" and should be thinking stay-at-home clear the net kind of defenseman, but it strikes me that this guy is just like Flatters without the in the room sense of humour, great team ethic, and selfless play.

He could be a few of those things, but right now I still believe Bonner got robbed on this one.

Hopefully he does better dealing Kraus who is OA and could be a hard sell.

EDIT: a couple of things

The official Giants website is reporting that Berube had 20pts last season in 66 games -- I could find this information nowhere else.

The Red Deer board is loaded with fans lauding Sutter's praises for this trade. Sounds like most of them were expecting and hoping for Berube to be dealt, not what I would call a good get -- slow by all accounts, but steady

read it for yourself (http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=12498&page=1&pp=10)

WHL Rules
06-14-2007, 08:05 AM
The Red Deer board is loaded with fans lauding Sutter's praises for this trade. Sounds like most of them were expecting and hoping for Berube to be dealt, not what I would call a good get -- slow by all accounts, but steady.

That's because Berube was quite clear that he wanted out of Red Deer and as far away from Brent Sutter as he could (actually he wanted to go to Edmonton). :D

GF71
06-14-2007, 11:51 AM
Longtimefan...please send me a quick pm.

Section_Z
06-14-2007, 03:50 PM

The official Giants website is reporting that Berube had 20pts last season in 66 games -- I could find this information nowhere else.

read it for yourself (http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=12498&page=1&pp=10)
The information is available on the official WHL website. It is correct.
Berube had 4 goals and 16 assists in 06/07 and no pts in 7 games in the playoffs.
If you want to judge a guy on numbers alone then his puts him on par with Thelen and Festerling...
Keep in mind that Berube had the poor defensive stat of -17 on a team with a -8 GF/GA ratio as apposed to the Giants +102.
I'm not saying he's as good as Festerling, just that you can't judge a player on numbers alone.
Jordan Henry was the only Rebel defenseman with a better scoring record than Berube last year....
Berube not good enough to replace John "Hay benched me for rookie again" Flatters? Cmon...At least wait 'til you've seen the guy play before you call Plumber and throw a comment like that out there....that's just plain mean.

Carebear
06-14-2007, 05:15 PM
I, for one, welcome the new guy!!

WELCOME TO THE GIANTS! :clap:
Make us love you!

scrunt
06-14-2007, 07:27 PM
yeah I know RR.. but to get two 19 year old plumbers in return is almost like getting nothing. ...

I suggested leaving him exposed so that we didn't lose any of our young guys, but neglected to take into account his marketability (which is actually less than I thought considering what we got back) -- at his best JD is a very dangerous power-forward capable of taking a game in hand with the right line-mate -- Reese and he found magic for a few weeks and then petered off at his worst a defensive and penalty liability -- but he's got to be better than a pick and a D-man who's bounced around the league and has suspect numbers. It didn't take a genius to figure out he would be dealt closer to Calgary and the Flames.

I have hopes for Cloud being an energy guy, but Berube doesn't even look good enough to replace Flatters, let alone Festerling, Thelen, Mikks and Franson. Sorry but depth for depth sake has never excited me and squandering an asset getting a very marginal player in return is pretty poor.

Lord knows we need defensive depth, but I am sure that Watt could have commanded a better player than Mike Berube appears to be. Maybe I'm hung up on "puck-moving defenseman" and should be thinking stay-at-home clear the net kind of defenseman, but it strikes me that this guy is just like Flatters without the in the room sense of humour, great team ethic, and selfless play.

He could be a few of those things, but right now I still believe Bonner got robbed on this one.

Hopefully he does better dealing Kraus who is OA and could be a hard sell.

The Red Deer board is loaded with fans lauding Sutter's praises for this trade. Sounds like most of them were expecting and hoping for Berube to be dealt, not what I would call a good get -- slow by all accounts, but steady

I think you need to be consistent here. Either JD is a difficult player, as you say, and we should be glad we got anything at all. Or he is a valuable player, as you say, in which case why don't we keep him.

Don't forget that 20 year olds are usually close to worthless in terms of
trade value: even for the few teams that have room to add a 20 YO, if the player is any good he could turn pro and if not, well, then he's not any good.

And I seem to recall you saying more than once this season that you would rather have Flatters than Thelen!

Personally, I think this is a win-win. JD is a decent player with a discipline problem that would be a good teammate somewhere else. I'm not sad he's gone, and I think he may do better somewhere else. Berube may be a depth guy, now, but I would say Don Hay has the ability to take a depth guy and turn him into a solid D-man. At the end of last season you didn't think Festerling deserved a 20 YO spot, and look how he progressed. Albers too the year before.

Sorry to pick on you dondo, (you seem to have been getting a lot of that lately :laugh: ) but in this case I think it's a bit early to be crapping on management.

dondo
06-14-2007, 07:54 PM
well at least it got discussion going -- :p -- most of you wouldn't have thought about this had I not gone out on the limb.. but nevermind.

I am being consistent on this scrunt -- JD is a Jekyll and Hyde player, one night you get Good JD and other nights you get Bad JD -- the majority of us have been saying this throughout the season.

That said I think the asset was worth more and I stand by my argument that we could have done better. This isn't a lovefest or a hatefest -- it is an opinion, which apparently has been wrong these past few days :skeptical , but I can live with that -- I have broad shoulders with which to bear the burden. :D

This also isn't a condemnation of the Giants brain trust, its a comment and an opinion that I think Bonner didn't get full-value for a player who was going to go to either The Hitmen or the Rebels.

and forgive me longtimefan7 but it almost feels like you are either family or Berube himself, to which I say I will gladly retract my statements should they prove in error.

and thanks section Z that page wasn't loading for me, so I suppose that I missed it and might have jumped to conclusions (but the most recent info on the Rebels site looked to be as I had originally posted.) -- 20pts in 66 games is not amazing by any stretch, but its better than 7 pts in 52 games.

Knuckles Muldoon
06-14-2007, 08:13 PM
Bonner has said that he was convinced Watt wouldn't have been coming back next year. That said, we are glaringly short on Dmen with experience, so he picked one up. I don't know if it's going to end up being a smart trade or not, but at this point, you can't fault his logic. As for Berube's run of shakey +/- numbers, that may change as long as the Giants keep playing a forecheck-type game. The strength of the team will be up front; all we need from the d-corps is to be steady, not flashy. This trade may work out just fine.

dondo
06-14-2007, 09:14 PM
I don't fault the logic in the least knuckles, he addressed a need that we definitely had I'm just not sure if we could have not got more for JD.. maybe not.

Its not a horrible trade by any stretch, but I just have reservations.

Swando
06-14-2007, 09:59 PM
Well I have sat back and read all the comments so here goes with my 2 cents.

:-we trade for Berube -doesn't mean he makes the team..still get a draft pick
: - 20 yr olds (other than goalies) seem to attract more value part way thru the season coming back from the AHL etc. --ala Rabbit-
: Watt was nowhere effective in the last 1/2 as the 1st 1/2 of 06/07
: Watt does not want to return to the WHL - plays his ass of in the ECHL
: Hay's system can work miracles on D men --I say Berube is a keeper next yr
: looks like Giants Brass want fan attendance ..Hunt and Cloud..maybe Wutcherl....I'd hate to play against these guys . My neck would be sore from looking behind me.