PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Pistone

rinkrat
06-13-2007, 07:07 PM
So the Giants got Pistone from the Tigers for Hamilton. I wonder if he is committed to the WHL. Sounds like he's looking at the US college route.

http://www.northislandpack.com/news-030606-01.php

dondo
06-14-2007, 01:06 AM
who? Hamilton or Pistone?

Carebear
06-14-2007, 11:59 AM
BCHL message board posters are quite sure that Pistone will not report to the Giants as he wants to go the college route...only time will tell I suppose.

dondo
06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
thanks CB

GF71
06-14-2007, 10:24 PM
I talked to one of his friends yesterday...seems he is not ruling the Giants out yet, but he IS leaning towards the NCAA route. Can't blame him for that.

rinkrat
06-14-2007, 10:34 PM
I talked to one of his friends yesterday...seems he is not ruling the Giants out yet, but he IS leaning towards the NCAA route. Can't blame him for that.

Apparently Hamilton is in the same boat.
But both players have been traded close to home so perhaps they could be persuaded to play in the dub. Kind of a weird trade.

dondo
06-15-2007, 11:08 AM
weird in some ways, pretty logical in others -- I'm sure both teams recognized that they might lose an asset, but also figured they would take a flyer on being able to convince comparable players if they were playing closer to home.

I don't know either of the players in question so I have no way of knowing if its a good, bad or balanced trade, but I suspect the latter. I see it as both teams maximizing their options and trying to get something where they really had nothing.

On related note those scholarships must be mighty tempting especially since once you go the dub route you absolutely cannot go the other way. It would be a pretty tough decision to make at their age.

Swando
06-15-2007, 01:34 PM
Vancouver Giants trade for Clippers' Pistone Michael Rhode, Daily News
Published: Thursday, June 14, 2007 Article tools
Printer friendly
Font: * * * * Nanaimo Clippers' forward Tyler Pistone is on the move -- at least his Western Hockey League rights are.

Pistone, who had eight goals and 10 assists for 18 points in his rookie season with the B.C. Hockey League squad, saw his WHL rights traded from the WHL champion Medicine Hat Tigers to the Memorial Cup champion Vancouver Giants on Wednesday.

The rights to forward Wacey Hamilton went from Vancouver to Medicine Hat.

Pistone, 17, a member of the Team B.C. under 17 provincial team acknowledged the trade really doesn't make much difference to him. He's not looking at going the WHL route.

"They are both really good organizations," said Pistone of the Giants and Tigers. "That's always sort of been a different road to take. If I want to take it, it's still a great option but I'm not too worried about it. It's not any different if I would have went to Vancouver or Medicine Hat."
Pistone is more interested in helping Nanaimo defend its BCHL Fred Page Cup championship. That will be a difficult task."I'm excited about it. We've got a lot of new guys coming in, just like we did last year," said Pistone. "I think we're in a different position, winning last year and not doing so well the year before. I think there will be the same amount of pressure, it's just different."

And he's not a rookie anymore, which also changes his responsibility on the team.

"It's nice not being a rookie anymore," he said. "As a veteran you have different responsibilities and pressure put on you. I'm looking forward to it."

MRhode@nanaimodailynews.com

© The Daily News (Nanaimo) 2007

TheBrass
06-18-2007, 09:24 AM
An interesting point was mentioned to me by a friend who is typically "in the know", wondering if anyone here can confirm or deny.

A player loses his NCAA eligibility the moment he dresses for a WHL game and is on the bench, regardless of whether he plays a shift or not.

A goalie does not lose his eligibility unless he is on the scoresheet as having played, regardless of any number of games sitting on the bench.

Just curious, as it seems a little unfair to me.

Kristi
06-18-2007, 11:28 AM
An interesting point was mentioned to me by a friend who is typically "in the know", wondering if anyone here can confirm or deny.

A player loses his NCAA eligibility the moment he dresses for a WHL game and is on the bench, regardless of whether he plays a shift or not.

A goalie does not lose his eligibility unless he is on the scoresheet as having played, regardless of any number of games sitting on the bench.

We had this happen in Seattle a long (LONG LONG!) time ago! We needed a goalie and there was a tournament going on so they asked one of the players to be the backup for the game (knowing full well he wouldn't see a bit of ice time). He signed a one game contract with the Tbirds and forfeited his NCAA eligibility. So unless the rules have changed since then no matter what you lose your eligibility ,whether you are on the bench or on the ice.

Or you could be like Portland and bring the guy to camp and give him a fake name to protect his eligibilty until he decides what he wants to do! LOL!

Carebear
06-18-2007, 11:41 AM

I actually don't think the player even has to dress to lose it...they lose elilibilty even if they enter an oral agreement to play for a team.. 12.2.5 of the NCAA Rules "An individual shall be ineligible for participation in an intercollegiate sport if he or she has entered into any kind of agreement to compete in professional athletics, either orally or in writing, regardless of the legal enforceability of that agreement".

Didn't know the goalie thing..though, and find it somewhat hard to believe.

Actually there is a way for ice hockey players to get into NCAA hockey but they have to appeal it and then they have to attend the school for one year first without playing hockey...and apparently its very very rare.

Priceisright
06-18-2007, 08:30 PM
We had this happen in Seattle a long (LONG LONG!) time ago! We needed a goalie and there was a tournament going on so they asked one of the players to be the backup for the game (knowing full well he wouldn't see a bit of ice time). He signed a one game contract with the Tbirds and forfeited his NCAA eligibility. So unless the rules have changed since then no matter what you lose your eligibility ,whether you are on the bench or on the ice.

Or you could be like Portland and bring the guy to camp and give him a fake name to protect his eligibilty until he decides what he wants to do! LOL!

Gee I seem to remember many, many years ago did some sorta thing like that. :D We had someone playing under a different name. I didn't quite understand at the time ( i was a young teenager). Maybe it was in a tournament or maybe it was soccer team and not hockey. Boogaard'd