PDA

View Full Version : Hunchak MJ's new Head Coach?

Broncs in RD
06-14-2007, 04:06 AM
On the warrior hotstove board it states that Dave Hunchak is going to be the Warriors new head coach anyone else in Swift hear that?

bronco rep
06-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Hi have heard the same thing. All i can say is the Warriors got the man that will take them to the top. Man i hate to see Dave leave. He was not only a great coach but a great guy as well. Now for asst coachs.. Darren Kruger, Danny Lambert, Tim Tisdale, Maybe Big Ern will step up. Sad day in Swift is all i got to say.

Toswammi
06-14-2007, 10:53 AM
Yup some ppl in MJ/Regina reporting its Hunchak.
Thats rough, but i cant see i didnt see it coming.

whlfanatic
06-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Darren Kruger is with the Tigers, unless of course he gets a better offer from the Broncos!

bronco rep
06-14-2007, 10:58 AM
I am sure Darren Kruger would love to be in Swift. Man the guy is from here & played all his minor hockey here & such, Not to mention a ring he has on his finger from 89. Its going to be hard to replace Dave.

Scout
06-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Keen's Korner

Thursday, June 14, 2007
So Long Hunch!

Yes, it's true... Dave Hunchak, Swift Current Broncos Assistant Coach for the last three seasons is now the Head Coach of the Moose Jaw Warriors.

As I type this, the news conference is underway at the Heritage Inn. Hunch takes over from Interim coach Rene Lemaire who replaced Steve Young near the end of the regular season.

He'll do great with the Warriors and is excited to be getting the opportunity to be the man for a Western Hockey League team.

The hardest part of my job is holding onto a story at the request of the teams involved because it completely goes against your instincts as a reporter. I respected their wishes but it's awful tough to see other sources reporting the news earlier in the day. In fact, it drive me nuts!

We talked earlier about the move down the TransCanada Highway. Here's a rundown of that conversation:

JK: I know this was an opportunity you've been looking to do for awhile now.....

DH: I've said all along if the right opportunity came along and I felt it was right for myself and my family we would certainly look at it. It's a day of mixed emotions, I'm very proud of the direction we've been able to get the Broncos going in. I've been treated extremely well by Dean Chynoweth and by the Broncos organization and of course the people of Swift Current. So it's bittersweet in some senses but obviously very excited about the opportunity.

JK: When you look at Moose Jaw the team returns a good nucleus of players especially at the forward position, are you confident you can get that team to perform?

DH: I think number one, you have to evaluate what that team is. Until you get into camp, until you see exactly what every individual is capable of I think you kind of hold back on what type of systems you want to implement. I have certain way in my mind of what I want to do. Once we name our assistant/associate coach we'll have to sit down and figure out what exactly we have to do make the most success out of the group of players that are there.

JK: How tough is it to leave Swift Current?

DH: It's tough. Myself, and my wife and kids have created a lot of good friendships here, none greater than my relationship with Dean and the Broncos. Dean has treated me exceptionally well, he's a well respected man in and out of the hockey circles. He treats his people very well, he looks after them, a good example is the Hockey Canada aspect he's been able to get me involved in. The most important thing is that I consider him a very good friend.

JK: What about the players you leave behind here? You've worked very close with them over the years.

DH: Absolutely, it's a tremendous group of kids the Broncos have assembled here. They are a group that care and are passionate and love playing in Swift Current. They're eager to learn and that's taken a long time to get there looking back to August of 2004. I'm excited for the kids in Swift Current, for them to be able to progress forward in their careers. It'll be interesting to coach against them knowing their strengths and possibly what some of their weaknesses are, again it should be interesting.

JK: You'll be back here a lot as a division rival with Moose Jaw, that will be some interesting match-ups next season between the two clubs....

DH: It really hasn't crossed my mind but now that you mention it, yeah it's going to fun and interesting and something I'll look forward to and I'm sure Dean and the Broncos will look forward to. It'll be exciting, that's part of the entertainment part of the game that is very important. I'm sure the fans in both cities will look forward to those match-ups.

-----------

It's tough to see Hunch go but I was expecting this announcement ever since the season ended and it comes as no surprise to me. He was excellent to work with and always made sure everyone was taken care of on the road. We all had some good times together as a team and will always have some great stories to look back on over the three years. It'll be interesting interviewing him as the opposition coach.

He was always a fan favorite...some thought he may coach this team one day. While that doesn't look likely for the coming years, maybe down the road he will return. Bronco fans I want to hear from you... tell me what you think of today's news.

The first battle between the two sides won't take long to commence. We tee it up tomorrow morning at the Chinook in a game I've already billed as a Swifty versus Moose Jaw affair.

I fielded a ton of inquiries this morning regarding this and couldn't say a lot for obvious reasons. I talked to Dean Chynoweth earlier today. I'll have a post on that conversation later. I guess the search for a new assistant coach begins shortly.

So long Hunch, and thanks.

---------------------------------------

Scout
06-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Hunchak Named Warriors Head Coach

JUNE 14 - The Swift Current Broncos have announced that Assistant Coach Dave Hunchak is leaving the club to take over the Moose Jaw Warriors vacant Head Coaching position.

“We knew with the coaching vacancies around the league that Dave would be a front runner for a few of the jobs. This gives Dave the opportunity to fulfill his goal of being a head coach in the WHL,” commented Broncos GM/Head Coach Dean Chynoweth. “The WHL is not just a development league for our players but coaches as well.”

Hunchak left his head coaching job with the Kindersley Klippers in the fall of 2004 to join the Broncos and spent three seasons as the team’s assistant coach. The team’s record improved in each of the three seasons that Chynoweth and Hunchak coached together.

“Dave is a guy that worked very hard at his profession and comes to the rink everyday with the attitude to help make our players better and I thank him for that. He will be missed but this is a very good opportunity for him,” said Chynoweth. “We would like to thank Dave for his services over the past three seasons and wish him and his family well in Moose Jaw”.

“On behalf of myself and my family I would like to thank Dean and the entire Broncos organization for providing me with the opportunity to become a coach in the Western Hockey League,” commented Hunchak. “It’s a bitter sweet day for me as I believe the Broncos are in the right direction heading into the future.”

“The hardest thing for myself is having to leave behind all of the friendships that I have formed during my tenure with the team. The Broncos are a first class organization built around good people who have great pride in their team and I thank them for always being supportive.”

Scout
06-14-2007, 04:02 PM
Warrior News
Moose Jaw Warriors Welcome Dave Hunchak as Head Coach

General Manager Chad Lang is proud to announce the appointment of Dave Hunchak as the new Head Coach of the Moose Jaw Warriors.

“We are excited about having the opportunity to have Dave Hunchak as our team’s new Head Coach. He brings tremendous depth of experience with him that will be a huge asset to all the players on our team.” He has had success as a Head Coach in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League winning two league Championships in three years, prior to him joining the Swift Current Broncos. He also has had the fortune to work with some very highly respected individuals Dean Chynoweth (General Manager/Head Coach Swift Current Broncos), Brent Sutter (General Manager/Head Coach Red Deer Rebels.) Craig Hartsburg (Canadian National Junior Head Coach). “We are very fortunate to have a quality individual in our organization to continue to lead our players on and off the ice.”

Hunchak has been the Assistant Coach with the Swift Current Broncos since the 2004-05 season. Over the past 3 seasons, Hunchak has been extensively involved with Hockey Canada and the Program of Excellence winning a gold medal as the Video Coach with the 2006 Canadian World Junior Team, a gold medal last summer with the Canadian National Under 18 Team at the Ivan Hlinka Cup (formally known as the 8 Nations Cup), as well as a silver medal at the 2005 World U18 Championships. Prior to joining the Swift Current Broncos, Hunchak was the General Manager and Head Coach of the Kindersley Klippers of the SJHL winning 2 league championships in 3 years and an appearance in the Royal Bank Cup Championship game in 2004. As well, he was named 2002 SJHL Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the same award 2004.

“Myself and my family are excited and honored to become a part of the Moose Jaw Warriors and the community of Moose Jaw. I would like to thank Mr. Lang and the Warriors Board of Directors for providing me with this tremendous opportunity and challenge.”

The Warriors welcome Dave, his wife Kim, daughter Allyssa, and son Brendan. Dave will begin his duties with the Warriors at the upcoming WHL scheduling meeting taking place in Calgary AB. Monday, June 18, 2007.

In addition to the hiring of Dave Hunchak, the Moose Jaw Warriors are pleased to announce that Rene Lemire has been promoted from Assistant Coach to Associate Coach. Lemire has been the Warriors Assistant Coach since December of 2004.

“The Warrior organization is delighted to have Rene return as the teams Associate Coach. I look forward to working with them in accomplishing our organizational team goals,” mentions Warriors General Manager.

The Warrior organization would like to congratulate Rene, fiancée Colette and daughters Madison and Caitlin on Rene’s recent promotion.

For further information please contact:
Chad Lang
General Manager
Moose Jaw Warriors Hockey Club
694-5711 ext. 25

Big Ern
06-14-2007, 09:16 PM
This is saddening.

But I guess that's how the world turns.

Also, it'll be interesting to see who Deano finds for assistant. I'm watching..... HAHA.

Believer
06-14-2007, 11:40 PM
well, like we didn't see that coming. Of course Hunch was headed down the head coach road. Just weird that he is in the same division and 1 1/2 hours away. Gonna be neat to see who wins the first meeting they have of the year ! Congrats Hunch, you deserve the opportunity !

Mountain Eyes
06-16-2007, 01:32 PM
Thoughts?

Quarter Pounder W/ Cheese
06-16-2007, 04:58 PM
Not to the Broncos as an assistant. Of that, I'm pretty sure.

CrazyGeorge
06-16-2007, 05:45 PM
Some people may have their opinions of the resigning of Dean and the fact that we lost Hunchak to MJ, the fact of the matter is, what happened happened...we can look forward to the new up and coming season with the upcoming of numerous youngsters having a strong opportunity to make the roster in the 07/08 season. I like the progression of the team over the last few years regardless the fact we've struggled to make the playoffs.

Big Ern
06-16-2007, 09:28 PM
First and foremost, CrazyGeorge, I really like your take on the upcoming season. Optimism is KEY!! GO SWIFTY!!!

And back to coaching... Here's what just crossed my mind:

Prince Albert does not have a coach yet. Would Habby be a fit for P.A?

Scout
06-17-2007, 10:03 AM
Bumped into Dave a couple of days ago at the Bronco office. Wished him the best of luck and he looked excited and was smiling from ear to ear. He thanked me and asked that we don't butcher him to much on our forum. I laughed and said he is fair game now that he is no longer with us. Best of luck Dave and know you have what you always wanted and that was to coach at this level. You will do great.

Scout

ointhecreek
06-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Some people may have their opinions of the resigning of Dean and the fact that we lost Hunchak to MJ, the fact of the matter is, what happened happened...we can look forward to the new up and coming season with the upcoming of numerous youngsters having a strong opportunity to make the roster in the 07/08 season. I like the progression of the team over the last few years regardless the fact we've struggled to make the playoffs.
^^What he said!^^ applause

ointhecreek
06-17-2007, 04:00 PM
First and foremost, CrazyGeorge, I really like your take on the upcoming season. Optimism is KEY!! GO SWIFTY!!!

And back to coaching... Here's what just crossed my mind:

Prince Albert does not have a coach yet. Would Habby be a fit for P.A?
Why would he go to PA? If he returns to the dub, which I have doubts, and he can't be close to home, I would see him going back to the Rockets. It's a familiar organization. But he wants to stay in the pros and I don't see him being out for long.

CrazyGeorge
06-17-2007, 04:41 PM
I've heard the possibilty of perhaps Marc going to NJ...