PDA

View Full Version : Warriors Get Their Man

Scout
06-14-2007, 04:01 PM
Warrior News
Moose Jaw Warriors Welcome Dave Hunchak as Head Coach

General Manager Chad Lang is proud to announce the appointment of Dave Hunchak as the new Head Coach of the Moose Jaw Warriors.

“We are excited about having the opportunity to have Dave Hunchak as our team’s new Head Coach. He brings tremendous depth of experience with him that will be a huge asset to all the players on our team.” He has had success as a Head Coach in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League winning two league Championships in three years, prior to him joining the Swift Current Broncos. He also has had the fortune to work with some very highly respected individuals Dean Chynoweth (General Manager/Head Coach Swift Current Broncos), Brent Sutter (General Manager/Head Coach Red Deer Rebels.) Craig Hartsburg (Canadian National Junior Head Coach). “We are very fortunate to have a quality individual in our organization to continue to lead our players on and off the ice.”

Hunchak has been the Assistant Coach with the Swift Current Broncos since the 2004-05 season. Over the past 3 seasons, Hunchak has been extensively involved with Hockey Canada and the Program of Excellence winning a gold medal as the Video Coach with the 2006 Canadian World Junior Team, a gold medal last summer with the Canadian National Under 18 Team at the Ivan Hlinka Cup (formally known as the 8 Nations Cup), as well as a silver medal at the 2005 World U18 Championships. Prior to joining the Swift Current Broncos, Hunchak was the General Manager and Head Coach of the Kindersley Klippers of the SJHL winning 2 league championships in 3 years and an appearance in the Royal Bank Cup Championship game in 2004. As well, he was named 2002 SJHL Coach of the Year and was a finalist for the same award 2004.

“Myself and my family are excited and honored to become a part of the Moose Jaw Warriors and the community of Moose Jaw. I would like to thank Mr. Lang and the Warriors Board of Directors for providing me with this tremendous opportunity and challenge.”

The Warriors welcome Dave, his wife Kim, daughter Allyssa, and son Brendan. Dave will begin his duties with the Warriors at the upcoming WHL scheduling meeting taking place in Calgary AB. Monday, June 18, 2007.

In addition to the hiring of Dave Hunchak, the Moose Jaw Warriors are pleased to announce that Rene Lemire has been promoted from Assistant Coach to Associate Coach. Lemire has been the Warriors Assistant Coach since December of 2004.

“The Warrior organization is delighted to have Rene return as the teams Associate Coach. I look forward to working with them in accomplishing our organizational team goals,” mentions Warriors General Manager.

The Warrior organization would like to congratulate Rene, fiancée Colette and daughters Madison and Caitlin on Rene’s recent promotion.

For further information please contact:
Chad Lang
General Manager
Moose Jaw Warriors Hockey Club
694-5711 ext. 25

Believer
06-14-2007, 11:43 PM
Buy your season tickets....he's a good fit.

nivek_wahs
06-15-2007, 06:26 PM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=2f146a56-9d1e-4cef-9c24-9f023cc6682e&k=61682

Lang looks down road to find new head coach

Corey Atkinson, Saskatchewan News Network
Published: Friday, June 15, 2007

MOOSE JAW - Moose Jaw Warriors general manager Chad Lang didn't have to look very far to find his newest head coach.

On Thursday, Lang announced the hiring of Dave Hunchak, who was the assistant coach of the Swift Current Broncos for the past three seasons. Hunchak has also had experience with the national junior team as the video coach.

"I'm extremely grateful for the opportunity Chad and the Moose Jaw Warriors' board of directors has given me," Hunchak said. "I come from a small-town background, so I understand the dynamics of what Moose Jaw has to offer, and what it takes."

Hunchak previously won two SJHL championships in three seasons as head coach with the Kindersley Klippers and in one of those seasons the team won the Anavet Cup and was a finalist in the Royal Bank Cup. Hunchak was named SJHL coach-of-the-year in 2001-02.

"I feel he's going to be a tremendous asset, not only to the development of our players, but he's well-respected not only through the Western Hockey League, but he's actively been involved with Hockey Canada," said Lang.

Described by Lang as a "educator of the game" who is competitive and with a good work ethic, Hunchak is the first permanent head coach hired by the Warriors since Steve Young took over in the middle of the 2004-05 season from Parry Shockey. After winning the Eastern Conference title in 2005-06, Young was fired last season with 20 games remaining, when assistant coach Rene Lemire was given the interim coach's reins. Lemire went 8-12 in his stint as the head coach.

Lang also announced Lemire will stay on in an increased role as an associate coach.

"He's on board, and at the end of the day, once we get through this process, it's not about titles within this organization," Lang said. "I believe in a group effort, and I believe in us all working in one direction . . . I think Dave and Rene will complement each other really well."

Lang said he really liked how Lemire coached in the 20-game stretch.

"I thought the guys were buying into it," Lang said. "I'm really glad he's elected to stay on with us, and move forward with Dave and myself."

Hunchak has developed working relationships with the likes of previous national junior coaches Craig Hartsburg and Brent Sutter, but will focus on the Warriors this season.

Hunchak said his wife and two children plan to be actively involved in the community. Hunchak and Lang also have a connection from back when Lang played with Kindersley. Before the Warrior general manager suffered a career-ending back injury, Hunchak was an assistant coach with the Klippers. Lang emphasized that didn't play a part in the hiring.

"Dave's had success," Lang said. "Maybe not at this level yet, but I really believe in him, and I really believe he can lead this hockey club to the next step."

Hunchak will inherit a Warriors team which finished fifth in the six-team East Division last season, one point out of the playoffs. The Warriors won the conference championship in 2005-06.

"I like the direction Chad's going in. I like the fact there's some consistency, some continuity within the organization," Hunchak said. "The list is good, the current roster is deep."

While Hunchak has been waiting for a chance to be a head coach in the WHL, but he said it was still difficult to leave Swift Current.

"The situation I had in Swift Current was outstanding," said Hunchak, 33. "I was treated tremendously well there. (Broncos GM and head coach) Dean Chynoweth is an outstanding man to work for, he's got great values and the team is in the right direction. Probably the toughest decison was leaving that program knowing it's going to be a pretty good program for years to come."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

Warriorfanatic
06-17-2007, 08:04 AM
Wow imagine that, a new head coach and a new associate coach. It is the last one that has me curious, what is the difference between assistant coach and associate coach? Sounds like a Wal-Mart term.

I am a Rene supporter and as such will be guarded in my optimism until I see first hand how our new skipper does.

After reading the several on line stories and listening to our local radio, it sounds like he has ideas for trades and building, hope he starts between the pipes. I know he said he knew how to shut the team down in his radio interview, it will be a treat to see if he can get the team going again and actually shooting on net during a PP.

I am officially in Hockey withdrawals and find this summer period hard to get through, I like our Warrior hockey, you could call me crazed, and even the big show is over now too.

Scout
06-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Trust me you will like this guy. Although he was only an assistant coach here, the players liked him and played hard for him. He has championships under his belt, although not at this level, and he has respect. I saw Dave at the Bronco office the other day and he was smiles from ear to ear. I wished him luck and he just looked so excited to be going to Moose Jaw. He is very approachable and has a level head on his shoulders. Not sure about his eye for talent because Dean is the coach here, but i'm sure he has one as he proved it in Kindersley winning two championships in 3 years and also earning coach of the year. If Chad lets Dave run the team you will be fine. We hated to see him leave and i'm sure he will earn the fans respect in Moose Jaw also. He also reads our board faithfully to get a feel for what the fans are saying. I think Dave is the best coach you guys have had in years.

Scout

Warriorfanatic
06-24-2007, 08:39 PM
Thank you for filling me in. I am looking forward to seeing how he does behind the bench. I genuinely appreciate your taking the time to tell me and others about our new man on the bench. How does Swift Current look this year, I was a little confused as to which division you now fall under. Can you fill us in on that too. Thanks in advance. Oh, how many games will Swift have against Edmonton this year? I am excited about the expansion, nice to see the bid 'W' growing.