PDA

View Full Version : Draft Articles

Tipped Off
06-11-2007, 01:34 PM
Auditioning for the NHL
Silvertips' Hamill and Ellington go to the league combine and individual workouts in preparation for June 22-23 draft

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

Zach Hamill's had a busy schedule.

His travels the past 10 days have taken him from Toronto to St. Louis to Boston, with stops at his home in Port Coquitlam, B.C., in between. It's an itinerary that resembles that of a jet-setting business tycoon more than that of a junior hockey player.

But such is life when one is in demand.

The Everett Silvertips star is considered one of the top prospects for this year's NHL draft, and ever since last weekend's NHL draft combine he's been highly sought by NHL teams.

"It's been pretty wild," said Hamill, who was flown to NHL cities by a pair of teams for personal workouts following the combine.

Hamill was one of two Silvertips to attend the NHL draft combine, which took place May 30-June 2 in Toronto. Defenseman Taylor Ellington was also one of the 106 players who attended the combine, although he wasn't able to participate in the physical drills because of injury.

Hamill is considered a probable mid-first-round pick in the draft, which takes place June 22-23 in Columbus, Ohio. Ellington is slated for somewhere around the third round.

And the draft combine provided them the opportunity to state their cases before the entire NHL.

"It was good," Hamill said about his experience at the combine. "After last year (when Everett had five players invited) the guys told me what it was like, so I knew what to expect. I had a lot of interviews and the testing was tough, but it was a positive experience."

Ellington, who isn't 100-percent recovered from a neck injury sustained toward the end of the regular season in a game at Seattle, was only able to participate in the interview portion of the combine.

"I was actually cleared to do testing in Toronto, but I had a note from the doctors back here," said Ellington, who noted he's been feeling a lot better physically. "I really wish I could have participated in the fitness testing. I could have shown that I'm a hard worker, and I like to train."

Despite sitting out the fitness training, the trip to Toronto was still valuable for Ellington, who was interviewed by 16 different teams.

"It was a neat experience because the scouts interview you and you see what they think of you and what you need to improve on," Ellington said. "Each team was different. Some teams told me to be a two-way defenseman, others said to work on the strengths I already have.

"It was all about meeting people and learning what they think I need to do better. I'll take it to heart for sure."

Ellington said he felt a good connection during his interview with the New Jersey Devils. He said the Calgary Flames and Toronto Maple Leafs also showed significant interest.

Meanwhile, Hamill ran the full gauntlet at the combine. It began with a physical, then was followed by 18 different fitness tests. Most of those tests were standard, such as measuring the players' ability to do push-ups, sit-ups and the bench press.

However, the most notorious of the fitness tests are the two stationary bike tests. The first is the windgate test, during which the player goes full-out for 30 seconds with the resistance being steadily increased. Then there's the VO2 test, during which the players have to maintain a steady pace as long as possible with the resistance being varied. During both tests the players received shouted encouragement from several aides standing around the bike, and both leave the players exhausted.

"The windgate was pretty tough, then they give you a half-hour to catch your breath before the VO2," Hamill explained. "That was not fun.

"I thought I did pretty good on the VO2 test," added Hamill, who had a chance to practice the tests two weeks before the combine. "All the other tests were pretty good, I was about average, hopefully above."

But Hamill's work wasn't done with the combine. He went directly from Toronto to St. Louis to meet with the St. Louis Blues for further evaluation. Then after returning home, two days later he was back on a plane headed to Boston to go through a similar process for the Bruins.

In St. Louis he was joined by several other players, including fellow WHLers Karl Alzner (Calgary), Colton Gillies (Saskatoon) and Brandon Sutter (Red Deer). The Blues pick ninth, 24th and 26th overall in the first round.

In Boston he was joined by two other players, Seattle's Thomas Hickey and Quebec Major Junior Hockey League playmaker Angelo Esposito. Boston holds the eighth overall selection.

"I went to St. Louis and they showed me around the city and rink," Hamill said. "They treated me professionally and it was a nice city. It was the same in Boston, they showed a lot of professionalism while giving tours of everything.

"In St. Louis they did fitness testing," Hamill added. "It wasn't like the combine, it wasn't nearly as hard, but they had me do sprints and some shoulder and back testing. Boston was a little tougher. They had me do the bench, shuttle run and a bunch of other stuff."

Now the evaluation process is over, and all that's left is the waiting game.

Said Hamill: "It's going to be a nervous couple of weeks."

Tipped Off
06-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Hamill ready for NHL draft spotlight

http://www.thenownews.com/issues07/062207/sports/062207sp1.html

By Dan Olson - Sports Editor

With deliberate, strong strides, Zach Hamill has been skating hard towards a dream for most of his life.

As a teenager, he had the talent and intensity on the ice that caught the attention of others,

drawing the interest from people whose job it is to sit through hundreds of games just to find 'that special player.'

The distance he's traveled since taking that first step up to junior hockey as a 15 year old has been emblazened with challenges and rewards. None will be bigger than the National Hockey League's Entry Draft on June 22-23 in Columbus, where Hamill is projected to be a first round selection.

It's every Canadian boy's dream, but the easy-going, soft-spoken Port Coquitlam native is putting it all in stride.

"He's very quiet, he keeps everything to himself so it's hard to say what he's thinking," Zach's mom Loni said Wednesday. "Last year he had so many friends drafted and everyone has been telling him to enjoy it because it only happens once."

From his days chasing pucks in PoCo minor hockey, to his first shift with the local junior 'B' Buckeroos, Hamill demonstrated an un-teenager-like ability to keep things in perspective. As a nimble, skinny 15 year old playing against heavy-hitting 20 year olds, he didn't skip a beat.

He made the journey south as the first overall draft pick of the Everett Silvertips and again made the adjustments. An important piece to the

expansion franchise, Hamill never took his responsibilities lightly. In three years, he gained confidence and muscle, leading the whole Western Hockey League in scoring this past season at the age of 18 with 32 goals, 61 assists in 69 games.

"Zach has physically matured over the years from a scrawny kid to a much bigger one at 195 pounds," former Everett coach Kevin Constantine told Lawrence Goldstein of the New England Hockey Journal.

"At first, he was a smallish perimeter guy. Now he's a guy who battles his way through traffic."

Next week, Hamill is heading to Columbus for the big event, wondering who will call his name.

Looking back over the past years, he credits his teammates and coaches for getting him to this spot - where he is listed ninth on Central Scouting Service's North American skaters' list.

"I remember the first year (in Everett), it was a great experience. We had a strong core group coming up together. We've grown up with each other and it's always team first," Hamill told the NOW.

The past season was one of terrific highs and sudden lows, as the Silvertips, ranked first among Canadian major junior hockey much of the year, saw its ride to the Memorial Cup derailed in the Western Division semifinals by Prince George. That upset tossed the whole team, stacked with a number of talented players, into a depressing funk.

"Being ranked the first team in the nation and losing in the semifinals was really tough. It's something we have to learn from. It was a tough year and you don't want to think about it too much."

The draft has prevented him from having too much time to dwell on the loss. The top prospects were in Toronto last week for the Central Souting Bureau Combine, where the players were paced through a multitude of tests and quizzes, all geared to sketch out their strengths, stamina, quickness, flexibility and even courage. This week he visited St. Louis and Boston to meet with the clubs.

Hamill says he has no preference as to where he goes, and he'll be happy to pull on the jersey of any team that wants him. But he does concede that, being a lifetime Vancouver Canuck fan, that it would make the whole event even more amazing should the Canucks deal up to pick the 5'11 pivot.

"It'd be really cool, but it's going to be great no matter who calls my name."

Dan Richardson is pretty sure it will be.

Hamill's former minor hockey coach is counting on seeing it firsthand, as he and youngest son Kyle will be joining Zach, his parents Scott and Loni, and Zach's siblings Carson and Paisley in Ohio.

Having coached Hamill from the age of six to 15, Richardson said it is the culmination of a lot of hard work and years of sacrifices.

"It's pretty exciting. I coached him from the age of six to junior 'B' and at every level you could tell he was something special, a character kid on and off the ice."

Tipped Off
06-14-2007, 05:32 PM
Sizing Up Who The Leafs May Choose In First Round

http://www.mapleleafs.com/news/news.asp?story_id=2613

Mike Ulmer has worked for seven news organizations including the National Post and, most recently, the Toronto Sun. Mike has written about the Leafs for 10 years and wrote Captains, a book about the club’s greatest leaders.

June 7, 2007

(TORONTO) -- There is a depth chart, somewhere in John Ferguson’s office.

It catalogues the Toronto Maple Leafs, circa 2009-2010.

“Absolutely, we have a depth chart for three years from now,” said the Leafs’ GM. “It’s for players who are under contract that long and players that we’ve taken over the last couple of years who we don’t project to be free by then.”

Key to that chart, of course, is the NHL entry draft.

The June 22nd and 23rd draft in Columbus is about 2009-2010 and far beyond, but the acquisition of first-rate prospects shapes decisions made here and now. For proof look no further than the Leafs choice of Finnish goalie Tuukka Rask 21st in 2005. Last summer, Ferguson traded Rusk to Boston to acquire number one netminder Andrew Raycroft.

In 2006-2007, the Leafs accorded regular lineup spots to Ian White (191st in 2002), Carlo Colaiacovo (17th in 2001) and Kyle Wellwood (134th in 2001).

Within the next few years, the club hopes to graft Jiri Tlusty and Nikolai Kulemin (13th and 44th, 2006), Anton Stralman (216th in 2005) and Justin Pogge (90th in 2004) into the lineup.

Logan Couture one player the Leafs may consider.
(Getty Images)
Draft day is the most important appointment on the hockey calendar, bigger even than the July 1 onset of free agency. A limited number of teams pursue a limited number of top drawer free agents. Everyone gets to draft and a spectacular day can set a team up for a decade.

When Detroit unearthed late-round gems Pavel Datsyuk (171 in 1998) and Henrik Zetterberg (210 in 1999), the team came up with successors for franchise player Steve Yzerman, dramatically altered the course of the franchise and salvaged what had been a spotty draft record.

The thinking is that while this year’s draft is short on obvious upper end-choices, there is parity through the rounds.

“A lot of veteran people in the draft room are saying this is the hardest draft to predict all the way through,” said E.J. McGuire, director of the NHL’s Central Scouting Service.

“We argued and went back and forth between Kyle Turis and Patrick Kane for number one, (they chose Turis) but we were split in the same way for numbers 61 through 64 and 105 and 106. The parity is really everywhere in this year’s draft.”

So what will the Leafs do?

They draft 13th in the first round, a position that has netted Sabres’ hotshot Drew Stafford, Capitals 38-goal gunner Alexander Semin and Anaheim goalie J. S.Giguere. The Leafs acquisition of Tlusty out of the same position has looked shrewd over the last months as the Czech youngster shrugged off injury and delivered just less than a point a game in Sault Ste. Marie. The Leafs have a draft in each round, one through seven, except the fourth where the trade for Mikael Tellqvist netted the club a second choice.

The Hockey News well-regarded Draft Preview issue projects London Knight Patrick Kane, American high schooler James vanRiemsdyk, Jr. A player Kyle Turris, Czech right winger Jakub Voracek and gifted Russian winger Alexei Cherepanov as the top five choices. Give up on any of those guys being available when Ferguson steps to the microphone.

One clue to who the Leafs might go after can be traced to their recent good luck with Europeans. But unlike junior players, European players can take longer to extricate and stalled negotiations with the Russian Hockey Federation make the prospect of choosing a Russian player even more daunting.

Drafting by flag, Ferguson said, doesn’t make sense.

“I think anyone who drafts or selects based on country of origin really is limiting themselves,” he said. “It’s solely about player’s skill, upside and drafting the best asset for your club.”

If Ferguson does decide to try one more dip in the European pool, he will have fewer options than in past years. The best prospect might be Mikael Backlund, ranked 37th by The Hockey News, a knee injury negatively impacted the smooth skating Swede’s ranking. Leftwinger Maxim Mayorov, another offensively gifted one-way Russian, is rated 14th by The Hockey News.

Zach Hamill was the WHL scoring leader with 93 points.
(Getty Images)
Leftwinger Lars Eller, a Dane playing in Sweden has a good skill set but scouts question his drive.

Probably more likely is selection of one of the following 10 North Americans.

They are, in no order of ranking:

1. Jonathon Blum: D., USA., Vancouver (WHL) Good skating defenceman but at six feet, a bit small.

2 . Angelo Esposito: C., Canada. Quebec (QMJHL) THN rated him ninth. Won Memorial Cup as a 16-year-old. Was once considered a lock for number one but poor 27-goal season wrecked his standing. Hard to believe he will be available at 13.

3. Ryan McDonagh. D., USA. (High School) Going to Wisconsin. Probably best US high school player and excellent all round defenceman.

4. Colton Gillies: C., Canada: Saskatoon (WHL) Nephew of Clark Gillies. Good skater with size but scouts say he lacks touch.

5. Tommy Cross: D., USA. (Prep school) Six-foot-three-defenceman. Good two-way player going to play for Boston College.

6. Logan Couture: C, Canada. Ottawa (OHL) Stock has tumbled, but has great vision and playmaking skills.

7. Nick Petricki: D, USA. Omaha (USHL) Has NHL size and meanness. Strong worker with some offensive touch.

8. David Perron,: RW, Canada. Lewiston (QMJHL) Excellent stickhandler and skater. Offensive player. At five-foot-11, Perron is the kind of player who will get a longer look with liberalized scoring rules.

9. Zach Hamill: C, Canada. Everett (WHL) Won WHL scoring title with 93 points but scouts worry about his size, listed at five-foot-10.

10. Alex Plante: D, Canada. Calgary (WHL) Has NHL size and good skating skills for his size. His father Cam was drafted by Leafs.

Tipped Off
06-14-2007, 05:36 PM
ZACH ATTACK
February 6.07

http://www.forecaster.ca/hockeynews/hockey/_k7z6y6mp3ten/extras.cgi?2007-nhl-draft-profile-hamill

One of the biggest risers on prospect lists everywhere these days is WHL star center Zach Hamill of the Everett Silvertips.

"As a 15-year-old against the Spokane Chiefs in our first-round playoff series, Zach scored a game winner for us in overtime... So it's not a surprise to us that he's blossomed into our career leading scorer already in his 18-year-old season."

- Everett coach Kevin Constantine told Hockey's Future about Hamill's scoring exploits.

In February's rankings, International Scouting Service (ISS) placed Hamill 19th overall and listed him as one of its biggest movers up the rankings. For their part, Central Scouting rated the 5-11, 180 pounder 22nd among North American skaters in their mid-term rankings. Look for him to make a move up their rankings when the final results are revealed.

Hamill is a right-handed shooter with both deft playmaking skills and excellent hockey sense. Since Everett plays a strict defensive system, he has already learned a ton regarding positional play and what to do without the puck in the defensive zone.

Hamill's vision ranks him in the upper echelon of draft-eligible prospects for 2007, while his ability to find the open man makes him a major scoring threat with the man advantage. He's also mature beyond his 18 years.

After producing 25 assists and 33 points in 57 games as a 16-year-old in 2004-05, the B.C. native improved to over a point-per-game pace as a sophomore with the Silvertips last season (53 GP, 21-38-59).

This year, he has raised his level of play yet again and is currently challenging the likes of Calgary Hitmen center Ryan White, Red Deer Rebels forward Martin Hanzal and Tri-City Americans forward Colton Yellow Horn for the WHL scoring crown. After 52 games, Hamill trailed White by one point (74 to 73) overall, and also was tied with Hanzal (50) in league assists.

Like most skilled centers, the knock on Hamill will be his size--at least until he can prove capable of withstanding the pressures of the pro game.

He'll likely return to Everett for a fourth major junior campaign in 2007-08, though he has enough game to make a lasting impression in an NHL training camp next September.

Look for Hamill to be taken somewhere in the middle of the first round, with a decent chance of moving into the top 10. He has drawn comparisons to former WHL star centers Joe Sakic (Colorado Avalanche) and Gilbert Brule (Columbus Blue Jackets), but Hamill will likely carve out his own niche once he reaches the big league.

FACTOID...

Hamill was the first-ever draft pick of the Everett Silvertips franchise in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft. He was limited to just four games as a 15-year-old (two assists) during the regular season because of a league rule for Bantam-aged players, but managed to appear in 20 postseason contests for the ÎTips that first year. He produced three goals and five points.

Tipped Off
06-14-2007, 05:43 PM
NHL Mock Draft

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/6920980

Hamill goes 13th to the Maple Leafs in this Mock Draft.

Tipped Off
06-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Where Will Zach and Taylor Go in the NHL Draft Contest?

Everett, WA: Do you know which NHL team will select Silvertips forward Zach Hamill and Everett defenseman Taylor Ellington in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft in Columbus, Ohio on Friday, June 22 and Saturday, June 23. If you select correctly, you can win a Zach Hamill autographed gift pack or a pair of Everett Silvertips season tickets for the 2007-2008 regular season.

Fans can enter to win by e-mailing the Silvertips office at info@everettsilvertips.com When e-mailing, please list NHL Draft in the subject heading of your e-mail. Also list which NHL team Zach Hamill will be selected by in the first round of the draft. For Taylor Ellington, please list the round number and NHL team that will select him. Only one entry per person and please include your name, address and phone number. You must enter your selections before 3:30 pm on Friday, June 22. If there are multiple correct answers, those correct answers will go in a random drawing to select the winner.

The winner of the Zach Hamill contest will receive the following:

*Zach Hamill Autographed Jersey of the NHL Team that Selects Him

*Zach Hamill Autographed Stick

*Zach Hamill Autographed Puck

*Zach Hamill Autographed "The Goal" Poster

The winner of the Taylor Ellington contest will receive a pair of Everett Silvertips season tickets for the 2007- 2008 regular season.

The Everett Silvertips and Sporty's Beef and Brew will be hosting the 2007 NHL Draft Party at Sporty's Beef and Brew located at 6503 Evergreen Way in Everett. The party starts at 4:00 PM.

Sporty's will be offering Budweiser Beer specials as well as all-you-can-eat Fish and Chips for $9.95. Sporty's will also be introducing there brand new state- of-the-art HD Projection monitor. This will be the first opportunity to view a broadcast on this brand new projector. Immediately after the NHL draft, the TV's will be turned to the Seattle Mariners game to watch the return of former Mariner All-Star Ken Griffey Jr. to Seattle.

Tipped Off
06-20-2007, 11:15 AM
This one shows Florida for Hamill: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/allan_muir/06/19/mock.draft/index.html

TSN shows Hamill going to Montreal: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=11084&hubname=

Sportsnet shows St. Louis: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp?content=20070619_102634_4476

MSNBC shows Carolina: http://www.msnbc.com/modules/sports/nhldraft/mockdraft.asp

Hockey's Future shows Toronto: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9754

USA Today says St. Louis: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/columnist/woodlief/2007-06-20-mock-draft_N.htm

Tipped Off
06-20-2007, 11:21 AM
Hamill dispenses with his doubters
Adversity shapes scoring star
Ben Kuzma, The Province
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Like fingernails scraping a blackboard, the stereotypical summation of Zach Hamill's size and speed is irritating to the slick Everett Silvertips star and highly rated NHL draft prospect.

"I've always heard the same kind of thing and now I've kind of proved them wrong," said Hamill. "You develop and adapt to the game -- whether it's tight checking or 5-on-5."

Hamill has heard the knock since honing his game in the Port Coquitlam Minor Hockey Association, but it hasn't stopped the 5-foot-10, 180-pound centre from dominating. As a 15-year-old prospect with the Silvertips, Hamill scored a winning playoff goal against Spokane.

Not fast enough?

The playmaking Hamill led the WHL in scoring last season with 93 points -- including a seven-point game -- while playing for defensive-minded coach Kevin Constantine, who has moved on to coach Houston of the AHL. It's why Hamill will be selected in the first round of the NHL entry draft in Columbus.

Not determined enough?

Hamill was a high-risk baby and both of his legs were damaged from complications at birth. Despite numerous surgeries and casts in his first two years of life, Hamill wasn't expected to walk without difficulty because he suffered from joint fixation and some joints weren't able to move. Medical manipulation of the joints eventually eased the ailment.

"I wasn't supposed to be born and sometimes I think how nobody gave me a chance when I was little," said Hamill.

That determination could pay off because skilled smaller stars like Andy McDonald, Martin St. Louis, Daniel Briere and Chris Drury are changing the way NHL prospects are scouted.

Skill is now more important than size, especially with new obstruction rules.

"It's good to see," said Hamill. "Before the lockout it was getting a little tight-checking, a little hack and whack. Even our league brought in the new [NHL] rules and it's really helped out a lot of players who aren't overly big, but aren't overly small.

"It helps the game a lot and makes it a lot faster and more exciting to watch."

Hamill not only benefitted the past two seasons by playing with a strong linemate in Peter Mueller -- selected eighth overall last year at GM Place by Phoenix -- he learned from Constantine that there are two ends to the rink. And in that respect, Hamill has a leg up on a lot of his draftable peers.

"If you're a one-dimensional player, you're not going to be there that long in Everett," said Hamill. "But it was good for me to get every opportunity to learn the game."

Hamill said he's also motivated by trying to emulate some of the game's greats. He loves Sidney Crosby's drive and determination, Joe Sakic's head for the game and lethal wrist shot, and Drury's leadership.

"I'm a smart-thinking forward with great hockey sense and that's one of my best assets," added Hamill. "I can read plays and play both ends of the ice and I can be used in all situations."

That doesn't surprise highly rated draft prospect Karl Alzner. A defenceman for the Calgary Hitmen, the Burnaby native could be picked as high as fourth overall Friday and crossed minor-hockey paths with Hamill.

He finds ways to get points and he's in the right spot at the right time," said Alzner. "He's super skilled."

Aside from improving his foot speed, Hamill wants to be more assertive both in the dressing room and on the ice.

"I'm more of a quiet leader, more focussed than anything," he said.

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font: ****"I lead more by example, but I want to work on being more of a vocal guy."

Hamill didn't have to look far for hockey inspiration. His brother Carson, 21, played in the BCHL for Langley and Quesnel. His sister Paisley, 16, also plays the game while his father, Scott, was an assistant coach on Hamill's minor teams.

A hard-work ethic is also on display in the home where Hamill's mother, Lonnie, works three jobs.

"Every second year my dad coached me from minor to bantam, but he took care of the defence and he didn't really want to coach me -- he stayed to the side," said Hamill.

Hamill was interviewed by 26 teams at the NHL combine earlier this month in Toronto and also visited St. Louis and Boston. He has no indication where he's destined to go -- he's a big Vancouver Canucks fans -- but stressed that he has unfinished WHL business.

The Silvertips were the top-ranked Canadian Hockey League team last season and were upset by Prince George in the WHL semifinals.

"We have a lot of core guys coming back and it's going to be kind of a motivating year for all of us," he said.

Tipped Off
06-22-2007, 10:58 AM
Everett Silvertips 2007 NHL Draft Preview
06/21/07 - Western Hockey League (WHL) Everett Silvertips

June 21, 2007: The 2007 NHL Entry Draft will be held on Friday, June 22 and Saturday, June 23 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio. The first round of this year's draft will take place on Friday starting at 4:00 p.m. (PST) and can be seen live on Versus (US) and TSN (Canada). Rounds 2-7 will take place at 7:00 a.m. (PST) and can be seen live on the NHL Network (Canada). Fans can also follow the draft online at nhl.com. Everett Silvertips forward Zach Hamill is expected to be selected in the first round on Friday while Silvertips defenseman Taylor Ellington is expected to be drafted in rounds 2-7.

2007 NHL Entry Draft 1st Round Selection Order

1. Chicago
2. Philadelphia
3. Phoenix
4. Los Angeles
5. Washington
6. Edmonton
7. Columbus
8. Boston
9. St. Louis
10. Florida
11. Carolina
12. Montreal
13. Toronto
14. Colorado
15. Edmonton (from NY Islanders)
16. Anaheim (from Tampa Bay)
17. NY Rangers
18. Calgary
19. Minnesota
20. Pittsburgh
21. Phoenix (from Dallas)
22. Montreal (from San Jose)
23. Nashville
24. St. Louis (from Atlanta)
25. Vancouver
26. St. Louis (from New Jersey via San Jose)
27. Detroit
28. Washington (from Buffalo)
29. Ottawa
30. Edmonton (from Anaheim)

Silvertips Expected to be Selected in 2007 NHL Draft

Zach Hamill
Center - 5'11" / 190 lbs.
Shoots: Right
Born: September 23, 1988
Hometown: Port Coquitlam, BC (Canada)
Central Scouting Final Ranking: 9th

Honors
*2005 World Under-17 Hockey Challenge - Team Pacific
*2004-05 Silvertips Rookie of the Year Award
*2005 Team Canada U-18 World Cup Team (Gold Medal)
*2006-07 Silvertips Assistant Captain
*2006 ADT Canada Russia Challenge
*2007 Home Hardware CHL / NHL Top Prospects Game
*Boston Pizza / WHL Player OF The Week: January 22 - 28, 2007
*2006-07 HUSKY WHL Player of the Month - January
*2006-07 Silvertips Team MVP
*2006-07 Bob Clarke Trophy (WHL Top Scorer)
*2006-07 Western Conference All-Star - First Team
*2007 Canada/Russia Super Series

The Port Coquitlam, BC native led the WHL in scoring during the 2006-2007 regular season with 93 points. Hamill recorded 32 goals and a league high 61 assists for 93 points in 69 games for the Silvertips last season. Hamill earned first team Western Conference All-Star honors and became the first Silvertip to win the Bobby Clarke Trophy as the WHL's leading scorer. Zach is currently the all time leading scorer in Silvertips franchise history with 187 points. Hamill is also the all time leader in franchise history in goals scored (61) and assists (126). The Silvertips 1st Round selection (3rd Overall) in the 2003 WHL Bantam Draft is also the all time franchise leader in playoff points (35), playoff assists (25) and playoff games played (58).

Taylor Ellington
Defense - 6'02" / 208 lbs.
Shoots: Left
Born: October 31, 1988
Hometown: Victoria, BC(Canada)

Central Scouting Final Ranking: 39th

Honors
*2004-05 Silvertips Most Improved Award
*2006 ADT Canada Russia Challenge
*2007 Home Hardware CHL / NHL Top Prospects Game

Heading into the NHL Draft, Ellington cracked the Top 50 of the rankings by being listed at No. 39 by NHL Central Scouting. The Victoria, BC native played in 60 games this season for the Silvertips and added 5 goals and 8 assists for 13 points. Ellington also maintained a plus/minus rating of +5 during the regular season. During the 2007 WHL Playoffs, Ellington added a goal in 6 post season games. Taylor along with Zach Hamill participated in the 2006 ADT Canada/Russia Challenge and the 2007 Home Hardware CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game.

Other possible NHL Selections:
Lukas Vartovnik
Left Wing - 6'00" / 187 lbs.
Shoots: Left
Born: March 8, 1989
Hometown: Gelnica, Slovakia

Central Scouting Final Ranking: 180th
Honors
*2006 World Under-18 Hockey Challenge - Team Slovakia
Vartovnik tallied 11 goals and 8 assists for 19 points in 58 games for the Silvertips during the 2006-2007 regular season. In the 2007 WHL Playoffs, the Gelnica, Slovakia native posted a goal and 2 assists in 10 playoff games. Vartovnik was selected by the Silvertips in the 1st round (38th overall) in the 2006 CHL Import Draft.

Previous Silvertips Selected in the NHL Draft

Since the Silvertips began play in the WHL in 2003, the Silvertips have had four players drafted in the NHL Draft. All four players were selected in the 2006 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC.

SILVERTIPS SELECTED IN THE 2006 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
1. Peter Mueller: 1st round (8th overall) Phoenix Coyotes
2. Leland Irving: 1st round (26th overall) Calgary Flames
3. Ondrej Fiala: 2nd round (40th overall) Minnesota Wild
4. Brady Calla: 3rd round (73rd overall) Florida Panthers

NHL DRAFT FACTS
The first NHL Amateur Draft was held at the Queen Elizabeth Hotel in Montreal on June 5, 1963. All amateur players, 17 years of age and older who were not already sponsored by an NHL club, were eligible to be drafted. Garry Monahan, a center from the St. Michael's Juveniles of Toronto, was selected first overall by the Montreal Canadiens.

Beginning with the 1980 Entry Draft and continuing today, all 18, 19 and 20-year old North American and non-North American born players have been eligible to be drafted. In addition, non-North American players aged 21-years or older are eligible for claim. From 1987 to 1991, the selection of 18 and 19-year-old players was restricted to the first three rounds of the draft, unless the player met qualifying criteria that dealt with hockey experience in major junior, U.S. college and high school or European hockey. Starting with the 1992 Draft, those players were available in all rounds.

The first Draft held outside Montreal was in 1985, when the Metro Toronto Convention Centre hosted the event attended by 7,000 fans.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) and Radio-Canada provided the first live network television coverage in both English and French in 1984, coverage in the United States was first provided by SportsChannel America in 1989. This year's Entry Draft was seen in Canada on TSN and in the United States on Versus.

*The WHL has had a total of 1614 players selected in the NHL Draft.

*The Kamloops Blazers and Regina Pats have more players drafted than any WHL team with 105.

* Half (50.2%) of all players selected in the NHL Entry Draft have graduated from the CHL.

*Silvertips forward Peter Mueller was the first WHL player selected in the 2006 NHL Draft.

Tipped Off
06-22-2007, 11:00 AM
Who will pick Tips' Hamill?
Everett center likely first-round pick in tonight's NHL draft

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer
The past two days Zach Hamill has been exploring Columbus, Ohio, with his family, marveling at the likes of Ohio State University and it's mammoth stadium, colloquially known as The Horseshoe.

In many ways he's just like any other tourist - with one small exception. Come tonight Hamill's life changes in a big way.

The Everett Silvertips star center will be thrust into the next step in his hockey career when the 2007 NHL draft begins tonight.

The first round of the draft takes place tonight at Nationwide Arena, the home of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, and Hamill is all but assured of hearing his name called out at some point during the first round.

"It's tough to say whether I'm more nervous or more excited," Hamill said via cell phone from Columbus.

"I'm just trying to relax and have some fun with my family and friends."

Over the next two days the NHL sorts out the best players born between Sept. 16, 1988 and Sept. 15, 1989, as well as those born earlier whose rights are currently unowned. Hamill should be right toward the top of the list.

Hamill isn't the only Silvertip in Columbus. Also attending is defenseman Taylor Ellington, though its unlikely Ellington will be selected in tonight's first round. He's more likely to be picked sometime Saturday when rounds two through seven take place. In addition to checking out the town, Hamill and Ellington have also undergone last-minute interviews while in Columbus.

"I have no idea what's going to happen, so I'm just going to wait and see," said Ellington, who's also been in Columbus the past two days. "We'll see when I go and where I go. It's exciting."

Two other Tips, left wing Lukas Vartovnik and right wing Dan Gendur, could possibly snagged in the draft's later rounds.

"Obviously, it's another exciting time for some of the young players in our organization," Everett general manager Doug Soetaert said. "Zach Hamill should be going extremely high and we'll see where Taylor Ellington goes. It'll be interesting to see where they go."

Most of the Everett speculation centers around Hamill. As a late 1988 birthdate, the 18-year-old Hamill is already a well-established junior player, with three full seasons in the WHL under his belt. The Port Coquitlam, B.C., native is already the Everett career scoring leader with 187 points, and last season he was the league's scoring champion with 93 points.

Hamill has the type of stickhandling and playmaking skills that make NHL teams drool. That's why Hamill is considered a lock to become the third first-round NHL draft pick in franchise history - last year center Peter Mueller was taken eighth overall by Phoenix and goaltender Leland Irving was taken 26th overall by Calgary. Hamill was ranked as the ninth-best North American skater in the NHL Central Scouting Bureau's final rankings, and the 16th-best prospect overall in the International Scouting Service's final rankings.

However, scouts have raised questions about Hamill's size (5-foot-11, 190 pounds) and skating ability. As a result he's been all over the map in mock drafts, ranging from ninth overall by St. Louis to 22nd overall to Montreal.

"I have no clue who's going to take me," Hamill said. "It's kind of up in the air right now. We'll just have to wait and see."

But for a player who's long been considered one of the best in North America among his age group, the moment he hears his name called is one he's anticipated much of his life.

"It's finally here, I guess you'd say," Hamill said. "I've been three-and-a-half years in Everett and it's been a long run, though it's nowhere near the end. I'm pretty nervous because anything can happen."

Ellington is expected to have more of a wait than Hamill to find out his destiny. In the final Central Scouting Bureau rankings Ellington, another late 1988 birthdate and three-year Everett veteran, was rated the 39th-best North American skater by the CSB, projecting him somewhere in the second or third round.

The 6-foot-2, 208-pounder from Victoria, B.C., is considered a solid stay-at-home defenseman. He had five goals and eight assists in 60 games last season.

The 1989-born Vartovnik was ranked 180th among North American skaters by the CSB. The Slovakian had 11 goals and eight assists in 58 games for the Tips.

There's also a chance the 1987-born Gendur could be picked after being passed up the previous two drafts. Gendur, plagued by injuries before arriving in Everett midseason, broke out with 20 goals and 22 assists in 48 games with the Tips.

Any player drafted will likely still play in Everett next season. NHL teams own a draftee's rights for two years before having to sign him.

Slap shots: There's no consensus top pick this year, with right wing Pat Kane from the Ontario Hockey League's London Knights and center Kyle Turris from the British Columbia Hockey League's Burnaby Express considered the top candidates for Chicago's No. 1 selection. ... The Tips are hosting an NHL draft party today at Sporty's Beef and Brew in Everett. It begins at 4 p.m. ... The Tips are also holding a prediction contest for who will select Hamill and Ellington. Fans can enter by e-mail at info@everettsilvertips.com. The deadline for entries is 3:30 p.m. today. The winner of the Hamill contest receives various autographed Hamill memorabilia, the winner of the Ellington contest receives two season tickets for 2007-08.