PDA

View Full Version : Canada/Russia Superseries

Triton
06-20-2007, 04:16 PM
CALGARY – Hockey Canada, in partnership with the Canadian Hockey League (CHL), announced Wednesday its roster of 26 junior aged players (born in 1988 or later) that will represent Canada at the Canada/Russia Super Series. The Canada/Russia Super Series, a one-time eight-game series featuring the best Under-20 players from Canada and Russia, will take place from August 27th to September 9th, with the first four games to be held in Russia, and the final four to be held in Canadian cities (Winnipeg, Saskatoon, Red Deer and Vancouver).

Canada’s 26-player roster will gather in Toronto on August 20th before traveling to Russia for the first four games which begin on August 27th, and then returning to their club teams and/or NHL training camps upon conclusion of the final game of the series on September 9th. The Canada/Russia Super Series will also serve to evaluate and develop Canada’s National Junior Team for the 2008 IIHF World Junior Championship.

With the advent of the Canada/Russia Super Series, Hockey Canada will NOT host the annual National Junior Team summer development camp this year (the summer camp usually runs in Calgary in early August);

Canada’s 26 player roster consists of three (3) goaltenders, eight (8) defencemen and 15 forwards.

The 26 players named to the roster were selected by Hockey Canada’s head scout Jim Hammett, in consultation with Canada’s Super Series coaching staff led by Head Coach Brent Sutter and Canada’s 2008 National Junior Team coaching staff led by Head Coach Craig Hartsburg. Hammett followed and evaluated Canadian players over the 2006-07 season with their club teams, Canada’s National Junior and National Under-18 teams as well as at the CHL Canada/Russia Challenge.

Brent Sutter (Red Deer, WHL) will coach Canada at the Canada/Russia Super Series, with the first game of the eight-game series starting in Russia on August 27th and finishing with the eighth and final game in Canada on September 9th. Peter DeBoer (Kitchener, OHL) and Benoit Groulx (Gatineau, QMJHL) will join Sutter behind the Canadian bench as assistant coaches.

Craig Hartsburg (Sault Ste. Marie, OHL), the head coach of Canada’s 2008 National Junior Team this December, will be actively involved in the preparation and evaluation of Canada’s team for the Super Series, working closely with Sutter and his staff, along with head scout Jim Hammett.

“I am very excited about the group of players that we have assembled for the upcoming Super Series,” said Head Scout Jim Hammett. “This evaluation and selection process made it clear to me that Hockey Canada’s branches and Hockey Canada’s partner, the CHL, continue to do tremendous work in developing hockey talent across Canada.”

“As a coaching staff, we are looking forward to getting this group together in August and representing Canada proudly at this event,” said Team Canada Super Series Head Coach Brent Sutter. “These players will be taking part in hockey history this fall in this very unique international hockey event.”

Canada at the Super Series – Overview

• All players and staff will convene in Toronto, ON on August 20thand the Super Series will come to an end the evening of September 9th;
• Team Canada will be departing for Russia on August 21st;
• Canada will hold a pre-competition camp in Moscow from August 22th to 26th;
• Games #1 and #2 vs. Russia will take place in Ufa, Russia on August 27th and 29th;
• Games #3 and #4 vs. Russia will take place in Omsk, Russia on August 31st and September 1st;
• Team Canada will return to Canada on September 2nd for Games no. 5 through 8

- Game #5: Canada vs. Russia in Winnipeg, MB on September 4th
- Game #6: Canada vs. Russia in Saskatoon, SK on September 5th
- Game #7: Canada vs. Russia in Red Deer, AB on September 7th
o Game #8: Canada vs. Russia in Vancouver, BC on September 9th

CANADA SUPER SERIES ROSTER

GOALTENDERS

Jonathan Bernier /L 6'0 185 08/07/1988 Laval, QC, CAN Lewiston Maineiacs/QMJHL
Leland Irving /L 6'0 177 04/11/1988 Swan Hills, AB, CAN Everett Silvertips/WHL
Steve Mason /R 6'3 186 05/29/1988 Oakville, ON, CAN London Knights/OHL

DEFENCE

Karl Alzner L/ 6'2 209 09/24/1988 Burnaby, BC, CAN Calgary Hitmen/WHL
Drew Doughty R/ 6'0 214 12/08/1989 London, ON, CAN Guelph Storm/OHL
Keaton Ellerby L/ 6'3 185 11/05/1988 Calgary, AB, CAN Kamloops Blazers/WHL
Josh Godfrey R/ 6'0 187 01/15/1988 Kingston, ON, CAN Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds/OHL
Thomas Hickey L/ 5'11 182 02/08/1989 Calgary, AB, CAN Seattle Thunderbirds/WHL
Logan Pyett R/ 5'10 199 05/26/1988 Milestone, SK, CAN Regina Pats/WHL
Luke Schenn R/ 6'2 210 11/02/1989 Saskatoon, SK Kelowna Rockets/WHL
Ty Wishart L/ 6'5 205 05/19/1988 Comox, BC, CAN Prince George Cougars/WHL

FORWARDS

Zachary Boychuk L/ 5'9 176 10/04/1989 Airdrie, AB, CAN Lethbridge Hurricanes/WHL
Cory Emmerton L/ 6'0 190 06/01/1988 St. Thomas, ON, CAN Kingston Frontenacs/OHL
Angelo Esposito L/ 6'1 180 02/20/1989 Montreal, QC, CAN Quebec Remparts/QMJHL
Sam Gagner R/ 5'11 190 08/10/1989 Oakville, ON, CAN London Knights/OHL
Colton Gillies L/ 6'4 189 02/12/1989 Surrey, BC, CAN Saskatoon Blades/WHL
Claude Giroux R/ 5'11 172 01/12/1988 Ottawa, ON, CAN Gatineau Olympiques/QMJHL
Zach Hamill R/ 5'11 180 09/23/1988 Port Coquitlam, BC, CAN Everett Silvertips/WHL
Stefan Legein R/ 5'9 170 11/24/1988 Oakville, ON, CAN Mississauga Ice Dogs/OHL
Milan Lucic L/ 6'3 220 06/07/1988 Vancouver, BC, CAN Vancouver Giants/WHL
Brad Marchand L/ 5'9 183 05/11/1988 Hammonds Plains, NS, CAN Foreurs de Val d'Or/QMJHL
David Perron R/ 6'0 180 05/28/1988 Sherbrooke, QC, CAN Lewiston Maineiacs/QMJHL
Brandon Sutter R/ 6'3 170 02/14/1989 Red Deer, AB, CAN Red Deer Rebels/WHL
John Tavares L/ 6'0 196 09/20/1990 Oakville, ON, CAN Oshawa Generals/OHL
Kyle Turris R/ 6'2 170 08/14/1989 New Westminster, BC, CAN Burnaby Express/BCHL
Dana Tyrell L/ 5'10 185 11/20/1988 Airdrie, AB, CAN Prince George Cougars/WHL

Triton
06-20-2007, 04:20 PM
If anyone can find how much tickets will be and when they go on sale, I'd like to know, cause I'd love to attend the game in Saskatoon.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-21-2007, 09:07 AM
If anyone can find how much tickets will be and when they go on sale, I'd like to know, cause I'd love to attend the game in Saskatoon.
Here is an article on the series.

http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=c9e3e6ec-96f9-4806-a42c-a4be625fd52d

(it has two pages)

Here is a blurb that I found about tickets:

Season-ticket holders for Saskatchewan's Western Hockey League teams get first crack at tickets for the Saskatoon game. The remaining seats will go on sale prior to July 15 through the Blades' office (975-8844, ext. 24).

I did not see any mention of a price for tickets,but that should be available soon.

nivek_wahs
06-21-2007, 04:45 PM
http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/sports/story.html?id=bb722e37-d732-4d11-b1e0-892c1bdd6e71

Canada-Russia rivalry heats up
Sutter announces stacked junior roster

Allen Cameron, Calgary Herald; CanWest News Service
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2007

CALGARY - Brent Sutter has two distinct memories of watching Paul Henderson score the winning goal in the original Canada-Soviet super series 35 years ago.

First and foremost, of course, was the sheer and utter jubilation of seeing Team Canada ultimately prevail in a series that changed the face of hockey.

Second?

Well, it seems someone -- not Sutter, he hastens to point out -- in his Grade 5 class at Viking School was misbehaving, and the teacher forbade the class from joining the rest of the school in the gym, where a big screen had been set up to watch the game. The teacher wasn't a total grinch, as a smaller TV was on in the class to watch the game.

"His name was Mr. Taylor," recalled Sutter with a grin on Wednesday. "I'm still mad that he didn't let us go to the gym."

This time around, Sutter will be front and centre for the renewal of hostilities between the sport's greatest rivals. Sutter will coach the cream of Canada's junior crop against their Russian counterparts for the Canada-Russia Super

Series, beginning in late August with four games in Russia.

"I think it's going to be interesting for the players," said Sutter, the owner-GM-coach of the Western Hockey League's Red Deer Rebels and a two-time winner behind the bench at the world junior championship.

"I'm really looking forward to seeing them when they get to Russia. I think there will be a lot of excitement in Canada for this, but when we go to Russia, it's going to really start hitting them. And when the games begin, and as the series goes on, it's going to get more hyped up, just like it did in '72.

"I'm sure we'll get some video together to show them what it was like back in '72, because they weren't even thought of back then."

After four games in Russia -- beginning with the Aug. 27 opener in Ufa -- the teams head to Canada for four games: Sept. 4 in Winnipeg, Sept. 5 in Saskatoon, Sept. 7 in Red Deer, and Sept. 9 in Vancouver.

Sutter will have a staggering amount of talent at his disposal. Up front top prospects include John Tavares from the Oshawa Generals, Kyle Turris from the Burnaby Express and Sam Gagner from the London Knights. Among the forwards already drafted are Philadelphia Flyers prospect Claude Giroux and Detroit Red Wings pick Cory Emmerton.

On the blue-line, prospects like Calgary Hitmen Karl Alzner and Keaton Ellerby from the Kamloops Blazers will suit up for Canada.

In net, Calgary Flames prospect Leland Irving will be joined by Columbus Blue Jackets pick Steve Mason and Los Angeles Kings prospect Jonathan Bernier.

In all 26 players born in 1988 and later were named to the squad.

Unlike recent years, where touring Russian junior teams have been cannon fodder in exhibition games with Canadian junior all-star teams, Hockey Canada president Bob Nicholson expects the Russians to put their best junior talent on the ice for the Super Series, having received assurances from the original Super Series Russian superstar, Vladislav Tretiak, now the head of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation.

And unlike that heated '72 series, when Canadian hockey czar Alan Eagleson gave Soviet politicians the finger at centre ice after getting in a tussle with local police officers, Nicholson doesn't expect to be flipping anybody the bird later this year.

"No, I've lost all my fingers," he said with a laugh.

"We don't want this one to be exactly like the '72 series. But if we haven't sold all the seats, you never know."

© The Edmonton Journal 2007

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-21-2007, 06:25 PM
They will range from $26.50-$46.50,and Saskatoon Blades Season Ticket Holders get 1st crack,then tickets go on sale to the general public on June 28th.

Shortys
06-22-2007, 11:19 AM
Just thought I would let all the season seat holders know that the e-mail has gone out this morning and the deadline for us is June 26th @ 12 noon. I got my 2! I am really looking forward to september now, Canada/Russia on the 5th, Flames/Panthers on the 18th, and Blades/Wheaties on the 22nd to start the season! Could September get any better??

Triton
06-22-2007, 12:43 PM
According to Brodsky, for every Blade season ticket holder they get 1 ticket for the Canada/Russia game.

Shortys
06-22-2007, 01:30 PM
You get 1 canada/russia ticket for every season seat you have, so say some company or person has a block of 10 season seats, then you would get 10 canada/russia seats, etc....

old_time_hockey
06-22-2007, 03:03 PM
We haven't heard squat from the Giants other than Lucic is on the roster about the Vancouver game.

Probably because it is at GM Place. I bet you Canucks STHs get first shot at tixs. And if that is true, the Giants should cut all ties with the Canucks STHs like letting them in on Top Prospects, WJHC and Memorial Cup presales because the Canucks do squat for us in return.