PDA

View Full Version : Pats' Pyett prepared to represent his country

nivek_wahs
06-21-2007, 08:21 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=88cbaea0-b504-47c6-ba6e-bc01b9a98f49

Pats' Pyett prepared to represent his country

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, June 21, 2007

Logan Pyett is just enough of a history buff to realize he wants to be a money player in the modern-day rematch of the 1972 Summit Series.

"I have a commemorative coin in my room, Paul Henderson scoring the winning goal," offered the Regina Pats' defenceman, who admitted his knowledge of the original series is limited. "I know it was a battle. But aside from that goal and just knowing the rivalry between Canada and Russia, I can't say I know too much."

He's about to learn a whole lot more.

Pyett was among 26 junior-aged Canadian players named Wednesday to represent their country in the Canada-Russia Super Series (Aug. 27-Sept. 9), which is being held on the 35th anniversary of the famed '72 series.

The initial plan for the Super Series was to involve the top pros from each nation. However, when the NHL resisted that idea, the juniors were deemed the next best option.

"None of the guys on this team were around back in '72, but just to say you were a part of the anniversary is something special," said Pyett, 19. "There's lots on the line. I'm going to have to be physically and mentally prepared and ready to play my best hockey. You always want to beat the Russians and it's a big moment in Canadian hockey history so we're going to have to play really well and make this one memorable too."

The team will be coached by Red Deer Rebels boss Brent Sutter, who guided Canada to back-to-back world junior titles in 2005 and 2006. The Super Series will also be used to evaluate players for this year's world junior championship in the Czech Republic.

"Once I get together with the team I'll be thinking about what's at hand; I won't be thinking too much about world juniors," noted Pyett, who finished fourth among WHL defenceman last season with 62 points in 72 games. "Being announced to this team is a huge accomplishment for me. I want to make world juniors too so it'll be in the back of my mind but I'll just take one thing at a time."

Pyett began his offseason workout regime about two weeks ago and expects to be in "top shape" by the time the Super Series arrives. Team Canada is slated to gather in Toronto on Aug. 20 before leaving for Russia.

Pyett's absence means he will miss virtually all of Pats training camp, but he feels it's worth the sacrifice. The Balgonie product already boasts an impressive international resume, having won gold medals at the 2005 World Junior Cup and the world under-17 challenge.

"This is very big," he added. "It's a Canada-wide team. I've been part of a couple under-18 teams before. That was awesome. All these things are huge. It's just another step towards where I want to go with my career."

The Super Series is slated to begin in Russia before switching back to Canadian soil for the final four contests. The venues for those games are Winnipeg (Sept. 4), Saskatoon (Sept. 5), Red Deer (Sept. 7) and Vancouver (Sept. 9).

witness
06-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Good for Logan!

In my mind, he should be the top offensive defenseman in the league next year. This is just another boost in his confidence.

Bran
06-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Seeing him grow over the past season has been amazing. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make the WJ team this year...or at least get an invite.