PDA

View Full Version : Bruno Campese it is.

nivek_wahs
06-21-2007, 03:45 PM
http://www.raiderhockey.com/newsrelease_bruno.htm

Prince Albert Raiders
June 21, 2007
News Release

Bruno Campese Becomes 11th Head Coach of the Prince Albert Raiders

Prince Albert, Saskatchewan –Prince Albert Raiders General Manager Donn Clark is pleased to announce the hiring of Bruno Campese (pronounced Cam – pess - ee) as the 11th Head Coach of the Western Hockey League franchise. Campese has signed a multi year contract.

For the past three seasons Campese has been the Head Coach and Director of Hockey Operations of the Penticton Vees of the BCHL, where he was named Coach of the Year for the Interior Conference this past season.

Campese, a goaltender during his playing days, is a graduate of the WHL, having won a Memorial Cup with the Portland Winter Hawks in 1983. He was selected by the Boston Bruins in the 1982 NHL Entry Draft and played professional hockey in Europe (Division One). During Campese’s playing days in Europe, he played 8 years with the Italian National Team, making six appearances in the World “A” Championships and competed in the 1994 Winter Olympic Games in Lillehammer, Norway. Campese won a number of championships including the ‘98 Austria League, ’97-‘98 European League and Italian League Championships in ’91, ’93 and ’94. Campese retired from playing in 2000.

Upon returning to North America, Campese was named the Head Coach, with the Trail Smoke Eaters (BCHL) from 2000-02. He has WHL experience, as an Assistant Coach with the Calgary Hitmen from 2002-04, before being hired as Coach and Director of Hockey Operations in Penticton starting in the 03-04 campaign. In his three seasons with the Vees, Campese had a record of 107-53-6-14 (.650 winning percentage). In the past 2 campaigns, Penticton has had a record of 82-27-4-7 (.738) winning the Interior Division Championship in ’06 and Interior Division Regular Season Title in ’06 and ’07 under Campese.

Besides his Coach of the Year Award this past season, Campese helped coach the Gold Medal winning team at the “World Junior A Challenge 2006” in Yorkton, was a Coach at the CJAHL Prospects game in 2006 and Coach at the BCHL All Star Game in ’06 and ’07.

“This has been a long search and we are very excited about Bruno joining our organization,” said Clark. “Bruno has had success as an Assistant and Head Coach in Junior Hockey after a successful playing career.”

“We were looking for a coach who brought an order of structure, discipline and teaching,” continued Clark. “Bruno’s teams in the past have shown improvement throughout the season which is very important for the development of teams and young players.”

“I am very excited and honoured to be the Prince Albert Raiders Head Coach,” said Campese. “This is an opportunity I have been striving for and pleased that Donn Clark and the Prince Albert Raiders have given me the opportunity to coach in the Western League.”

Campese, his wife Maria and 9 year-old son Matthew will move to Prince Albert this summer.

Bruno Campese
DOB: August 13, 1963 – Nelson, BC
Position Played: Goaltender
Drafted: Boston Bruins (1982. 12th round, 249th overall)

Playing Career

Season Team
1979-81 Penticton Knights (BCJHL)
1981-82 Northern Michigan University (NCAA)
1982-83* Portland Winter Hawks (WHL)
1983-84 Kelowna Wings (WHL)
1984-85 Spokane (KIHL)
1985-86 Nelson (KIHL)
1986-94 Milan (Italy)
1994-96 Asiago (Italy)
1996-97 Augsburg (Germany)
1997-98 Feldkirch (Austria)
1998-00 Bracknell (Britain)
*- won Memorial Cup

Coaching Career

Season Team
2000-02 Trail (BCHL) Coach/General Manager
2002-04 Calgary (WHL) Assistant Coach
2004-07 Penticton (BCHL) Coach/Director of Hockey Operations

Triton
06-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Anyone know what style the Raiders will be playing? Under Anholt, I sometimes fell asleep.

westbeach55
06-21-2007, 06:49 PM
sounds like he wants a well conditioned team, that is offensive and applies alot of pressure in the offensive zone. At first i was skeptical about him but he seems just like what the raiders need

Dwight Schrute
06-22-2007, 03:07 AM
does penticton have any good players who might consider coming to pa and play for their coach instead of pursuing ncaa ??

Dwight Schrute
06-25-2007, 05:57 AM
Everyone wants a piece of Bruno Campese.

The Prince Albert Raiders on Thursday introduced Campese as their new head coach at a news conference at the Art Hauser Centre. Knowing hockey is the heart of Prince Albert sports, Campese was quick to answer a few questions to let fans know just what they will get out of him as a coach.

Campese comes to Prince Albert after coaching and heading up hockey operations of the British Columbia Hockey League's Penticton Vees in three successful seasons, posting and overall record of 107-53-6-17.

He was named coach of the year for the BCHL's Interior Division this past season.

A goaltender in his playing days, he kick-started his hockey career by winning the Memorial Cup with the Portland Winter Hawks in 1983. He was selected by the Boston Bruins in the 1982 NHL entry draft and went on to pro hockey in Europe, spending eight years with the Italian national team.

Campese made six appearance in the world hockey championship and competed for Italy in the 1994 Winter Olympics.

He retired from playing in 2000 and has been a coach for the last seven seasons.

Here is what Campese had to say:

Q: What will you bring to the Raiders organization?

A: A winning track record, hard work and commitment.

Q: What are your goals for the Raiders?

A: (a) Hard-working players; (b) Defensive players; (c) Aggressive puck position to make the club a perennial winner.

Q: The Raiders are a young team. How do you plan on whipping them into shape?

A: When you want to be a winner, it takes a huge sacrifice, time and effort on and off the ice. I want the Raiders to see that and be in the best condition possible.

Q: You spent time tending goal in Italy. Tell me about that experience.

A: I played 13 1/2 years in Europe. It was a fabulous time and I would recommend it. It was a not only a hockey experience, but a life experience. To live in four different countries was a life experience.

Q: What do you think it takes to win in the WHL?

A: You need to be extremely disciplined. You need a great defence and it's been proven over and over again. You have to be prepared to play the same game whether you are home or away.

Q: When you played, what was the design on your mask?

A: I always followed the design of the team I was playing with. Team colours.

Q: If you weren't a hockey coach, what would you be doing?

A: I have a master's degree in education, so I'd like to think I'd be coaching at the college level.

Q: What is the one thing that had to move with you?

A: My wife Maria and nine-year-old son Matthew.

Q: Favourite NHL team?

A: Vancouver Canucks.

Q: Who is the best NHL player of all-time?

A: Wayne Gretzky.

Q: Best NHL player in the game today?

A: Sidney Crosby.

Q: Favourite hockey memory?

A: I won numerous hockey championships as a player and coach. We won the Interior Division in Penticton and it hadn't happened in a long time.

Q: Football?

A: My son and I went to the Riders game in B.C. a few days ago and he was excited to see the Riders won.

Q: What's the most important quality to have as a head coach?

A: The ability to communicate with players, staff and media.

a canucks fan eh... i like him already !!! applause