PDA

View Full Version : Cougars hire assistant coach

nivek_wahs
06-21-2007, 06:59 PM
http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=89325&Itemid=239

Cougars hire assistant coach
Wade Klippenstein joins Schoneck behind bench

(Breaking News) Thursday, 21 June 2007, 10:49 PST
by Jim Swanson, Citizen sports editor

The new assistant coach of the Prince George Cougars is a former pro hockey player who has served as a head coach in the Western Hockey League.

Wade Klippenstein, 37, has been hired by the team to work with newly appointed head coach Drew Schoneck. Klippenstein has been named both assistant coach and assistant general manager to GM Dallas Thompson.

For the past three seasons, Klippenstein was an assistant coach in the NCAA ranks, working for his alma mater at the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. As a left-winger at UAF, Klippenstein had 63 goals and 109 points to rank fifth on the school’s all-time scoring list. The Quebec Nordiques chose Klippenstein, a native of Dauphin, Man., in the 12th round of the 1990 draft, and he played parts of three pro seasons.

Klippenstein’s first WHL coaching post was an assistant’s job with the Saskatoon Blades in 1997-98. He moved to the Prince Albert Raiders in 2001, and took over as head coach in mid-season of the 2001-02 campaign, then was released halfway through the following season when the Raiders opened with an 11-14-2 record.

“I am excited at the opportunity to get back into the WHL. I have a lot of respect for the individuals in the Cougars organization. I am eager to get on the ice and start working,” Klippenstein said in a statement released by the team.

Klippenstein, his wife Ashley and son Bowman are expected to arrive in Prince George in mid-July.

Triton
06-21-2007, 07:30 PM
Hahaha.. his wife is 24, and he's 37. Thats gross. I graded high school with his wife.

Congrats to Klipp. Glad he's able to come back into the league.