PDA

View Full Version : Rowat bracing himself for a Hurricane

nivek_wahs
06-22-2007, 08:57 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=c05677b0-c013-4eda-8854-ebbfb60bb29d

Rowat bracing himself for a Hurricane

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Friday, June 22, 2007
Regina Pats goaltender Linden Rowat isn't sure which way the wind will blow during the NHL entry draft, but he does sense a looming Hurricane.

"The one team I got really positive feedback from was Carolina," said Rowat, who attended the recent NHL draft combine in Toronto. "They said a lot of good things and were really happy about everything. We had a good talk so I kinda got a good vibe from them."

Rowat was interviewed by a dozen teams at the combine, including the Nashville Predators, New Jersey Devils, Florida Panthers, Pittsburgh Penguins, Vancouver Canucks and Washington Capitals.

The Colorado Avalanche and New York Islanders took him for lunch.

Although Rowat doesn't covet a relationship with any specific team, his loyalties as a fan are generally reserved for home-grown clubs.

"I don't really have a favourite team in the NHL anymore," said the native of Cochrane, Alta. "I just kinda cheer for the Canadian teams. Whoever has the better goalie, I'll cheer for."

A big, butterfly-style goalie, Rowat patterns his game after the likes of Vancouver's Roberto Luongo, Carolina's Cam Ward and Miikka Kiprusoff of the Calgary Flames. He likes the idea of playing alongside one of his idols, but admits their presence might make his job tougher.

"It's harder when you get in the organization because they're established and they might be there for a long time," noted Rowat. "But if they're an older guy like (New Jersey's) Martin Brodeur then you can really learn things over the next few years and it could be your chance when he retires."

Rowat is a highly touted prospect for this year's draft, which takes place today and Saturday in Columbus. Central Scouting ranks him as the top draft-eligible goalie from the WHL and fourth overall among North American netminders.

Tyson Sexsmith was ranked behind Rowat, but his stock has gone up since backstopping the Vancouver Giants to a Memorial Cup title.

"I'd be pretty happy with the second round," said Rowat, who's projected to go somewhere in the early to middle rounds. "You never know what will happen on draft day. I'm a little nervous to see how it goes, who will take me and when. It's a big stepping stone in your career."

Rowat finished this season with a record of 25-18-1-6, a 2.87 goals-against average, an .897 save percentage and four shutouts. He can take comfort in the fact that he saved the best for last.

Despite some ups and downs in his first year as a WHL starter, Rowat was consistently solid in the second half of the campaign before backstopping Regina to a first-round playoff triumph over the Swift Current Broncos.

"That always helps because that's mostly when (the scouts) are there," he added. "They wait 'til things settle down and they're there for the playoff hockey when everyone is at their best. The fact I played better at the end of the season will help me because a lot more guys saw me play well."

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007