PDA

View Full Version : Ross drafted at #30 (Coyotes)

Dwight Schrute
06-22-2007, 08:15 PM
by gretzky and company

Triton
06-22-2007, 08:17 PM
and wasn't even there to put the jersey on.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-22-2007, 10:35 PM
Good for Nick! I know he is a first round quality player, and that even though he was pegged to be a mid second because of a questionable work ethic, I thought someone would have taken a chance on him. I did not expect Phoenix to however. Good, strong prospects in that organization, so it is good for Nick to be apart of what should be a successful team by the time he makes it with that group of prospects.

Now Ross did underachieve this season, but I think his numbers will soar for next year, especially being with a favourite to be the leagues top offensive D-man in Logan Pyett.

As for other pats, I guess Roddy was wrong about Rowat's first round pick by the oilers, but I am still anxious as to where he will go. The same goes for leffs, and maybe macangus.

Triton
06-22-2007, 10:40 PM
great pick wayne..i would take him over plante

Ross is good but Plante was drafted ahead of him for a reason.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-22-2007, 10:42 PM
Ross is good but Plante was drafted ahead of him for a reason.

Plante is very inconsistant, but when he is playing his A game, he is the better player than ross.

witness
06-22-2007, 10:59 PM
I thought that Ross would go in the late first round or early second. The only stats that I would look for Ross to improve is his +/-. He is a stay at home d-man that can devestate you with a hit, much in the role of Scott Stevens. Hard to come by. His work ethic is fine, it was the slide until after Christmas that hurt him.
The most important thing that he can learn, is he is what he is. Don't try to be something else. He is not a scorer, he is the guy that will punish you for coming into his zone.
Good for him. but he now has a lot to live up to.

nivek_wahs
06-22-2007, 11:00 PM
http://coyotes.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=322930

COYOTES SELECT DEFENSEMAN NICK ROSS
30TH OVERALL IN THE 2007 NHL ENTRY DRAFT

The Phoenix Coyotes closed out the first round of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft by selecting Regina Pats Defenseman Nick Ross with the 30th overall pick.

Last season, Ross recorded 31 points (7 goals, 24 assists) and 87 penalty minutes in 70 games.

A native of Edmonton, Alberta, Ross was one of 40 draft-eligible players selected to play in the 2007 CHL Top Prospects Game.

Central Scouting Service describes Ross as a skilled, playmaking defenseman, very good at reading the ice and making smart plays. He has a strong physical presence and can make the big hit. He has good speed and is able to jump into the rush.

Ross was ranked as the #18 North American skater in the final CSS rankings.

Phoenix acquired the 30th overall selection when they traded their second pick of the first round (21st overall) to the Edmonton Oilers, in exchange for Edmonton’s third pick of the first round (30th overall) and their second round selection (36th overall).

http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=990

ROSS DRAFTED BY COYOTES

Columbus, Ohio – Regina Pats defenseman Nick Ross has been selected by the Phoenix Coyotes in the 1st round, 30th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Ross, a native of Lethbridge, AB, recently completed his 2nd full season with the Pats this past year. In 70 games, Ross picked up 7 goals and 24 assists for 31 points. He also picked up 87 penalty minutes and posted a +11 plus/minus rating. During the postseason, Ross chipped in with 1 goal and 5 assists for 6 points in 10 games.

Ross becomes the third Pats defenseman to be drafted in the NHL Entry Draft in the past three years. In 2005, Derek Reinhart was selected by the Columbus Blue Jackets in the 6th round, 177th overall; while last year, blueliner Logan Pyett was drafted by the Detroit Red Wings in the 7th round, 212th overall.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-23-2007, 12:09 AM
I thought that Ross would go in the late first round or early second. The only stats that I would look for Ross to improve is his +/-. He is a stay at home d-man that can devestate you with a hit, much in the role of Scott Stevens. Hard to come by.

He was 5th on the team in +/- with a +11 last season, and it should be even higher next season. If anything, he should concentrate more on getting in better shape.

nivek_wahs
06-23-2007, 09:55 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=1ec58af6-61aa-46bb-97e1-e33f85fb916f

Ross drafted by Coyotes

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Saturday, June 23, 2007

The 2007 NHL entry draft was a Great One for Regina Pats defenceman Nick Ross.

The 18-year-old Lethbridge product was selected by Wayne Gretzky's Phoenix Coyotes with the 30th and final pick of the first round on Friday night. Not long after hearing his name on TSN, Ross fielded a call from Coyotes scout Rich Sutter, who is a neighbour and long-time family friend.

The conversation was brief, but it's one he will never forget.

"I was talking to Richie and he said, 'Gretzky wants to talk to you,' " Ross said. "He said, 'We're happy to have you and we're going to try to make you the best player you can be.' "

Ross's response? "I didn't say much," he recalled with a laugh. "It was just 'Yes sir!' It's Gretzky. I was kind of in awe."

It was an evening of surprises for Ross, whom Central Scouting ranked 18th among North American skaters.

"I was expecting second round all along," said the hard-hitting 6-foot-0, 190-pounder. "My agent said there was maybe a slight chance (to move up)."

Ross's ascent was made possible by a trade between the Coyotes and Edmonton Oilers, who acquired the 21st pick for No. 30 and No. 36. The Oilers originally landed the 30th pick from the Anaheim Ducks in the Chris Pronger trade.

Ross had no idea those deals would both have an impact on his draft fate. After the 29th pick was made, Ross was ready to shut off his TV.

"I was thinking, I guess we'll just wait 'til tomorrow," he recalled. "When I heard my name, I was in disbelief. I never thought Phoenix would take me, but it's an honour. I'm the happiest guy in the world right now. You have no idea."

The nex Pat who's expected to be taken is Linden Rowat, whom Central Scouting ranked as the top goalie in the WHL, perhaps followed by right-winger Brett Leffler could also be selected on Day 2. He was ranked 117th out of 210 North Americans.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007