PDA

View Full Version : Klotz taken in the 3rd

Sabes
06-23-2007, 09:09 AM
66th by Philly. Wow

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-23-2007, 09:22 AM
I am shocked,I never saw that coming(I knew he had a chance to get drafted) but,I did not expect him to go this early. I do not even know what his rank was?(he was not ranked). Anyways congrats to Klotz. Yet another Saskatoon Blade picked in this draft,will we see more? I think so.

Trav
06-23-2007, 09:25 AM
im sure everyone is to see him picked that high but the Flyers obiviously like him. We'll see one more Blade for sure, that being MacCrae and is Holtby eligible this year? he should be drafted as well or even Zemlak, he's shown he can play at this level, some team might take a gamble on him.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
06-23-2007, 09:29 AM
:skeptical

The flyers must be smoking crack :laugh:

Drop em' eh
06-23-2007, 10:07 AM
WOW !! Boogaard'd

Is Philly bringing back the Broad Street Bullies?

Good for Klotz, but still, WOW !

howley
06-23-2007, 11:01 AM
that is insane...3rd round? huge shocker! Bigger than Hickey at 4th! Holtby and Zemlak are not elligible till next year. (Not 100% sure but pretty positive)

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
06-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Wow, I really can't even imagine how surprise he is lol. Good to see my favourite player get drafted. In the 3rd round too? ahead of McRae. Congrats Garret, keep doing what you do and apparently you will be jsut fine.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-23-2007, 03:49 PM
For his sake,he is most likely glad that he was drafted and albiet VERY surprised.(as we all are about this.)

I guess the Flyers thought that he was good enough to be their 3rd round selection,I guess we will see how this will effect him this fall and throughout the entire season(and hopefully playoffs too.)

Maybe now he will try and focus more on the offensive side to his game(unless the Flyers want him to be their enforcer of the future?)

I am sure this will be huge confidence boost for him and maybe all those Klotz naysayers will keep quiet now?

Haha what am I thinking? I think they(the naysayers) will step it up a notch and be ever so criticle and say that Klotz will not make it to the NHL,I hope he proves otherwise.

Way to prove all those naysayers wrong Garret. :thumb:

Dwight Schrute
06-23-2007, 04:43 PM
how long till philly enrolls him in boxing and power skating, cause if he could skate...

wow i can see taking him in the 7th but geez...
cue the klutz is better then everyone picked after him...

Dwight Schrute
06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
http://69.61.38.254/showthread.php?t=392598

here is a thread from philly fans about him

Five Hole
06-23-2007, 04:51 PM
Maybe now he will try and focus more on the offensive side to his game(unless the Flyers want him to be their enforcer of the future?)

I'd have to guess that's the major reason they drafted him..... and if he manages to develop other areas of his game, the Flyer's will probably be pleasantly surprised.... it really is surprising they grabbed him that high...have to figure he wasn't on too many radar screens..... but, seriously, congratulations to him...
be interesting if the Blades try to slot him into a different role and higher up the depth chart this year (wonder if Holmgren will be gently suggesting to Molleken what they'd like to see happen in his development this year in the Dub)

.....nah, pretty sure it's the dukes the Flyers are interested in, and we'll be seeing him try to be the #1 heavy in the dub this year.... and he'll no doubt be looking to show his stuff at Flyers camp in a couple of months!! Maybe him and Flatters will have a go there to get the season's Blades and Raiders rivalry revved up! :thumb:

howley
06-24-2007, 12:40 AM
So is Klotz still a ? if Phillip shows up and turns some heads at camp?

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
06-24-2007, 09:00 AM
http://69.61.38.254/showthread.php?t=392598

here is a thread from philly fans about him

Wow.

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Wow.
Well it is pretty safe to say that not one of those Flyer fans has not seen him play and IMO a very stupid move on the Flyers part to pick him in the 3rd round. (I mean he would have probably been available in the 6th or 7th round forsure.) He was not even ranked,and a HUGE gamble that the Flyers took.

I think this case is somewhat simmular to Dayln Flatt's(He was drafted by the Rangers last year in the 3rd round) but he was bounced around between leagues,and is planning to attend the University of Manitoba.

Whatever though,I am pleased to seem him get drafted. Let's just hope he makes the most out of this oppertunity.

Howley:

I do not know where Klotz stands right now,but with him now being drafted to an NHL team,one would think that he is safe,but I disagree. If Philp comes into training camp and makes some noise then I could see him replacing Klotz or I could see the Blades maybe keeping both Klotz and Philp.

nivek_wahs
06-25-2007, 08:24 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=fc31d89c-fd9b-4d7c-b161-fd41235f8bab

Flyers made Klotz's dream come true
Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, June 25, 2007

Garrett Klotz usually has both skates planted firmly on the ground.

However, the 6-foot-5, 235-pound enforcer from the Saskatoon Blades was definitely a high Flyer after learning he had been selected by his favourite team in the third round (66th overall) of the 2007 NHL entry draft.

"It's a dream come true," offered the 18-year-old Regina native. "Philadelphia has been my team since I was a young kid. I always liked Eric Lindros (back in the late '90s) when they had John LeClair and Rod Brind'Amour. They have a great organization and they have a young team too so it's a perfect opportunity. I couldn't ask for anything better."

Klotz, who wasn't on the list of 210 North American skaters rated by Central Scouting, is an example of why pre-draft rankings aren't the be-all end-all. It also shows why you should expect the unexpected on draft day.

"I was pretty surprised to go that early," admitted Klotz. "I was hoping to get drafted this year. I was hoping to go mid-to-late rounds, but it happened that I went earlier so I can't complain. I couldn't ask for a better situation than going in the third round."

A player of Klotz's stature is a tough secret to keep, regardless of the fact he recorded just two goals and two assists in 63 games last season. He also had 107 penalty minutes while earning a reputation as one of the WHL's up-and-coming tough guys.

However, Klotz is quick to point out that he's more than just a fighter.

"I didn't put up very many points last year but I also was a third- or fourth-line guy, not getting much ice time," he noted. "With more ice time I'm just going to progress and get better. I can skate, I can hit, I have a physical presence out there. The scoring will come with more experience. (Being drafted so high) gives me that much more motivation to give that little extra effort, whether it's on or off the ice."

That said, Klotz has no intention of abandoning the role that helped get him noticed.

"It's always going to be there," he said of being an enforcer. "I enjoy doing it. It's part of the game. If the time is right and it's a situation where it needs to be done, it's going to get done. I'm not just going to go out there and pick a fight to fight. There has to be reasoning behind it. If there's no reason for it, why do it? I have nothing to prove."

Klotz was one of 37 WHL players selected in the draft. The first to go was another surprise pick, Seattle Thunderbirds defenceman Thomas Hickey, chosen fourth overall by the L.A. Kings. He was one of nine WHL first-rounders.

Klotz led a five-player contingent from Saskatchewan, including Brandon Wheat Kings defenceman Keith Aulie, a Rouleau native who was selected in the fourth round (116th overall) by the Calgary Flames.

Moose Jaw Warrior Jordan Knackstedt was taken in the seventh round (189th) by the Boston Bruins. Swift Current Broncos defencemen Paul Postma and Ryan Molle were also selected in the seventh round by the Atlanta Thrashers (205th) and New Jersey Devils (207th) respectively.

© The Leader-Post (Regina) 2007

SectionNDeserter
06-25-2007, 08:32 AM
If the time is right and it's a situation where it needs to be done, it's going to get done. I'm not just going to go out there and pick a fight to fight. There has to be reasoning behind it. If there's no reason for it, why do it? I have nothing to prove."
Wow, "its" getting pretty deep! haha