To the Los Angeles Kings

nivek_wahs
06-23-2007, 10:22 AM
To the Washington Capitals

nivek_wahs
06-23-2007, 11:18 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=991

ROWAT SELECTED BY KINGS

Columbus, Ohio – Regina Pats goaltender Linden Rowat has been selected by the Los Angeles Kings in the 5th round, 124th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Rowat, a native of Cochrane, AB, recently completed his 1st season as the starting goalie for the Pats this past year. In 52 games played, Rowat compiled a record of 25-18-1-6. He posted a 2.87 goals-against average, along with a .897 save percentage for the season, while also picking up 4 shut-outs. Rowat also started all 10 games for the Pats in the 2007 playoffs, earning a 3.17 goals-against average and a .894 save percentage, with 1 shut-out.

Rowat becomes the first Pats goaltender to be selected in the NHL Entry Draft since 2002, when Regina-born net minder Josh Harding was selected by the Minnesota Wild in the 2nd round, 38th overall.

nivek_wahs
06-23-2007, 11:19 AM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=992

LEFFLER DRAFTED BY THE CAPITALS

Columbus, Ohio – Regina Pats forward Brett Leffler has been chosen by the Washington Capitals in the 5th round, 125th overall in the 2007 NHL Entry Draft.

Leffler, a native of Wynyard, SK, recently completed his 2nd full season with the Pats this past year. In 69 games, Leffler compiled 13 goals and 13 assists for 26 points. He also picked up 114 penalty minutes, and posted a +5 plus/minus rating. In addition, Leffler suited up for all 10 games for the Pats during the 2007 playoffs, picking up 2 goals.

Leffler becomes the first Pats forward to be chosen in the NHL Entry Draft since 2001, when both Garth Murray (NYR) and Grant Jacobsen (STL) were selected.

Dwight Schrute
06-23-2007, 04:22 PM
good pick

nivek_wahs
06-25-2007, 08:21 AM
http://www.canada.com/reginaleaderpost/news/sports/story.html?id=d1931634-045c-4fb9-bdef-3dce0a3d4505

Rowat a King, Capitals pick Leffler
Greg Harder, Leader-Post
Published: Monday, June 25, 2007

Linden Rowat and Brett Leffler -- already friends and teammates with the Regina Pats -- got even closer during the 2007 NHL entry draft.

Rowat and Leffler were selected back-to-back in the fifth round of the draft, which wrapped up Saturday in Columbus. The Los Angeles Kings picked Rowat 124th overall, followed by Leffler at No. 125 to the Washington Capitals.

"That's pretty cool," offered Leffler, a right winger from Wynyard.

"I saw my name and right after was Leffler," added Rowat, a goaltender from Cochrane, Alta. "I was really happy for him. He worked hard all season and he's going to be a great player."

As for his own situation, Rowat didn't voice a word of disappointment despite the fact his name wasn't called until the later stages of the draft. Central Scouting had rated him No. 1 among draft-eligible goalies in the WHL and fourth overall in North America. However, those rankings were released several weeks before Tyson Sexsmith backstopped the Vancouver Giants to a Memorial Cup title. Sexsmith ended up being the first WHLer selected (third round, 91st overall, San Jose Sharks), followed by Rowat, who was the seventh goalie taken from North America and the 11th overall.

"I'm pretty relieved," he said. "It was a long morning. Finally, when my name was called, I took a deep breath and it all sunk in. I'm happy with any opportunity with a team that gives me a chance, whether it's the first round or seventh.

"I'm just really excited to see what the future holds."

The fact that his future now lies with the Kings was "a total surprise."

"I didn't even talk to them at the combine or have a previous interview," he said. "You never know what's going to happen in a draft."

Leffler can attest to that.

"I had mixed feelings (about the draft)," said the 6-foot-1, 200-pound power forward, whom Central Scouting ranked 117th out of 210 North American skaters.

"I didn't want to get my hopes up in case it didn't happen, but at the same time I wanted to try to stay positive. I didn't know where I was going to go or if I was going to go at all. I had trouble sleeping (Friday) night but fortunately enough it happened and I'm pretty happy right now."

Leffler hadn't talked to the Capitals before the draft, so their interest also came as a surprise.

That said, he quickly became one of the club's biggest fans.

"I didn't really pay much attention to them in previous years," he noted. "But now I'll obviously start paying more attention to them."

As for Rowat, one of his first instincts after being selected was to take a closer look at the Kings' roster -- with particular emphasis on their depth chart in goal.

"It's a great organization and it's a great position for me to be in," he said. "There's a lot of opportunities for a goaltender to step into that (team) within the next five years. I'm pretty happy with it."

The Pats' Class of 2007 also includes defenceman Nick Ross, who was selected in the first round (30th overall) by the Phoenix Coyotes on Friday. Together, Ross, Rowat and Leffler are expected to help form the nucleus of the Pats for at least the next two seasons.

"It's going to be a pretty big year and we're going to be looked towards to produce," noted Leffler, who believes he has more to give after recording 13 goals and 13 assists in 69 games last season. "You always have something to prove. Anything less than (his best) would be a pretty big disappointment."

Those sentiments also apply to the Pats.

"We're going to be a good team," added Rowat, who's entering his second season as Regina's starting goalie. "We're going to work hard and be ready for the start of the season and do some damage."