PDA

View Full Version : Keens Korner June 25/07

Scout
06-25-2007, 06:42 AM
Keen's Korner

Sunday, June 24, 2007
Whirlwind Four Days Comes to a Close in Columbus

Well that was fun...
Sorry for the delay in posting, it's been a busy 24 hours of planes, trains and automobiles. I'm now back in Swifty after travelling most of the day.

Well, as most of you know, Broncos defenseman Paul Postma was a 7th round selection of the Atlanta Thrashers while fellow d-man Ryan Molle was taken two picks later by New Jersey. Congratulations guys! I had a chance to talk to Paul later in the day and he along with his family in Red Deer were quite excited after a pretty long wait.

Yes, I was surprised that Eric Doyle was not taken. The Broncos defenseman was my pick to be the first of our guys to go... I thought somewhere in rounds 4 to 6. However, it never happened. By no means is it the end of the world. Eric can now use that as motivation next season to prove everybody wrong. With his talents, I know he will.

Getting back to Postma, I asked Thrashers G.M. Don Waddell what they saw in Postma, he replied "His name was high on our list, much higher than that (7th round selection), the draft this year was interesting because everyone is going all over the place. Paul is a guy we had ranked in our top three rounds so obviously he was an easy choice when he was still available with our 7th pick. A big guy, that guys feel can skate, his upside is unknown at this time but they think he has good hockey sense, a young player we will be anxious to help his development along....good kid too.

So the Western Hockey League led the way in drafted players with 37 of the total 211 taken. Here's the breakdown:

WHL 37 (only 26 taken last year)
OHL 35
QMJHL: 25
USHL: 21
BCHL: 7
AJHL: 3
Several other programs to numerous to mention

The Breakdown by Nationality:
Born in Canada:103
Born in U.S.: 62
Born in Sweden: 17
Born in Russia:9
Born in Czech: 5
Born in Finland: 4
Born in Germany: 4
Born in Slovakia: 3
Born in Switzerland: 2
Born in Denmark: 1
Born in Nigeria : 1 (Akim Aliu)

It's a big week for the Broncos organization. The Hall of Fame induction ceremony is Tuesday night when the team honours former greats Todd Holt and Danny Lambert. See you there.
Also, Wednesday night is the Annual General Meeting when the financial details of the season will be released. I'm hearing it's good news... we'll hear all about it Wednesday. The meeting is open to all Bronco shareholders.
More tomorrow,
Jon