PDA

View Full Version : Rebels size a factor?

RebelsFan
06-25-2007, 10:06 AM
Looking over the players posted on the Rebels website for next year we have an average height of 6'. Is anyone concerned about the fact that we have 11 players 6 foot and under with the average weight of those 11 players being 177LBS. I know some of the guys will grow over the summer but is that size enough to get through the season? Brent has to bring in some bigger veteran players to start the season. Please don't throw out the fact that Medicine Hat had a lot of small players and they did well. I think Willie's coaching style is different than Brents and i think Willie gets more out of the small players than Brent does.

SectionNDeserter
06-25-2007, 05:15 PM
With obstruction being called (sometimes) now, having a great deal of size isn't nearly as much of of an advantage as it was at one time. They can't use their size to hold up players, nor can they really do anything with their size to move forwards big or small from in front of the net without getting a penalty. I would have to say that having a long or at least a quick reach with your stick is probably more important now than having a lot of weight or height, and everyone has to be able to skate pretty well to be at all competitive in the WHL. I would also like to point out that a lot of the most punishing hitters in this league last season were under 6' (Hunt, Dorsett etc.). That being said, I have to wonder if the Rebels have lost a bit too much 'grit' in Berube, Lynch, Moore, Vandermeer, and potentially Lamoureux--while replacing the grit with just Watt (so far).

RebelsFan
06-25-2007, 05:25 PM
I would agree SectionN, I don't see anyone on the roster with a great deal of grit or toughness. Watt, if he returns, can't be the great protector out there for all the small, young guys. Watt will be needed to put points on the board and I hardly think that Calgary would want him to be taking on the Rebels tough guy role.