PDA

View Full Version : Centrium

Tinner
03-08-2005, 09:36 PM
A lot of talk has been generated lately around some of the rinks that teams play in. Teams that have small rinks need bigger rinks, older rinks that have a reasonable capacity need repairs etc, etc, etc.

In Red Deer we have a rink, built in 1991?, seating about 6100. The questions are now being asked;

1. The seating capacity can be increased to about 9000. Why isn't the Westerner considering doing this? Certainly the Rebels would be able to put more fans in, especially for rivalries, and playoffs. Plus, there are many other events that could be housed in a rink or concert setup with the additional seating.

2. I have heard many comments about how plain and bare the rink is. Why isn't the Westerner redoing or renewing some of the common areas?

3. Even now, considering the current capacity of 6100, which the Rebels almost nightly fill, the concourse area is jam packed. Part of the reason is all the extra concessions that surround the rink (beer stands - 4, and a couple of other ones) that take up a surprisingly amount of room.

4. The "robot" symdrome that rules our rink should be relaxed. I know this isn't a physical part of the rink, but it addresses character that rink should have. Allow air horns, noise makers etc and let the fans be what we once were, the seventh man.

I think its time for the arena mangement to start and complete looking into some major upgrades in seating capacity, concourse improvements, concession areas and even some more open areas including even dining areas. I'm sure more private boxes are being considered so more concourse room will be used up. Right now the rink is only fan friendly for those who are seated, so better and more standing room needs to be addressed. Sure there are probably more things and lets here them.

Whats your opinions? :clown:

Tinner
03-09-2005, 01:28 PM
anybody have ant thoughts

D.A.
03-09-2005, 03:33 PM
1. The seating capacity can be increased to about 9000. Why isn't the Westerner considering doing this?

It's a very big business decision. And while it seems to make sense for Rebels games right now, will it make sense for any other events? Will it make sense 2 or 3 years from now? ie. Will Rebels attendance remain at this level? I'm sure they're considering it, but it's a pretty big expense to undertake unless you're darn sure it makes sense.

3. Even now, considering the current capacity of 6100, which the Rebels almost nightly fill, the concourse area is jam packed.

I'm not sure how adding more capacity is going to help the situation. Perhaps this is one of the reasons they haven't expanded yet?

4. The "robot" symdrome that rules our rink should be relaxed. I know this isn't a physical part of the rink, but it addresses character that rink should have. Allow air horns, noise makers etc and let the fans be what we once were, the seventh man.

Air horns should never be allowed indoors (and aren't anywhere that I know of), simply because they're dangerous to people's hearing. Other noisemakers *are* allowed - those plastic horns, cowbells, etc. I'm not sure the fans in Red Deer ever were the 7th man, really. In any case, it's not the Westerner that's to blame for that - it's the fans. If they want to cheet louder, there's not much stopping them. It's just that a culture has developed here that is more concerned with seriously watching the game than yelling your head off.

I think its time for the arena mangement to start and complete looking into some major upgrades in seating capacity, concourse improvements, concession areas and even some more open areas including even dining areas. I'm sure more private boxes are being considered so more concourse room will be used up. Right now the rink is only fan friendly for those who are seated, so better and more standing room needs to be addressed. Sure there are probably more things and lets here them.

I think what you're asking for is not possible within the current confines of the Centrium. More seats, larger concourses, dining areas? Where would you put all that? What you're asking for is a whole new building.

As for opinions, I think the Centrium is (more or less) great the way it is. It's just about the perfect size for Red Deer, has very few bad seats anywhere, and is generally pretty comfortable. Being realistic about it, I don't know that I would recommend too many changes. Faster ice cream makers at the concessions, maybe?

Sgt. Zeek
03-09-2005, 06:17 PM
In my opinion the centrium is a good size, it is alittle crowded. The thing that bothers me about the centrium is the concessions. The service is terrible, they are slow, the food is the worst in the whl. Also it is the only whl rink I have been to that runs out of beer at the beer stands on a nightly basis on weekends. I think they need to look at small things like that before they look at doing major changes.

Tinner
03-09-2005, 07:09 PM
as the city gets bigger, the demand on the facility grows. I agree, the food is the worst, but why would they want to make it better when people buy it as it is.

Lets not make excuses for what needs to happen, the Westerner must improve alot of things about the building, the question is.....what is first!

Shinyshoes
03-10-2005, 09:03 AM
as the city gets bigger, the demand on the facility grows. I agree, the food is the worst, but why would they want to make it better when people buy it as it is.
I Disagree. There are many times that I have had to work late, or I am just squeezed for time, and I have gone out of my way to McDonalds or Wendy's on the way to the rink to eat before I get there. I havnt bought anything from a Westerner Concession in 4 years (Except Beer). There is a lot of room for improvement and an Increase in sales at the Concessions, but the Service is the first thing that needs to be looked at. When the period ends, and I go stand in line as soon as the buzzer sounds, I shouldnt have to miss the first 5 minutes of the next period just to get a pop or something.

The beer stands are what frustrates me. How can you offer a $5-20 oz beer and then run out in the 2nd period and ask people for $3.75 for a can? Rediculous.

And now that you got me started, Last Season when I organized the Tailgate party, The westerner wouldnt let me have it in the parking lot, even if we were alcohol-free. We had to have it accross the street at Western RV. It went off without a hitch and was entirely alcohol free.

It just seems to me that the westerner, or John Harmes specifically is only interested in making money, rather than improving the overall experience for the people attending events.

Back to the building though, Everyone you talk to at the Rebels office is not interested in getting the extended seating in the Centrium. And personally, I think the concourse is packed enough as it is. They need to move the concessions, or at least move the lineups so they line up WITH the flow of people on the concourse, not accross it. Back the beer stands up about 6 feet each so that the lineup doesnt cross the entrance to the Bathrooms. I could go on......

Especially after just getting back from the US Trip, and seeing 6 other buildings in the WHL, and I have been to a number of other buildings in the Dub, the Centrium, and Westerner in General leaves a lot to be desired.

Tinner
03-10-2005, 01:29 PM
i guess you've addressed the issue i most wanted to point out....that is, make the "going to a game or event" a fan friendly experience.