PDA

View Full Version : Rebels select Tomas Polak

WHL Rules
06-27-2007, 12:44 PM
The Rebels select Tomas Polak from HC Karlovy Vary in the Import draft.

Stats (http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=84714)

Doesn't exactly look like a scorer.

RebelsFan
06-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I would agree. Although he was playing on a U20 team so basically he has a years experience playing against older guys. Doesn't seem to be very physical either but at 180 and 6'3" what are you working with? Hopefully he matures physically over the summer. That leaves us with 12 forwards on the website. Is that our team for fall or is Brent not finished yet ? I would have to assume he's not finished yet!

Shinyshoes
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
That leaves us with 12 forwards on the website. Is that our team for fall or is Brent not finished yet ? I would have to assume he's not finished yet! 12 forwards is not all that far away from a complete team. Typically a team doesnt carry more than 14-15 forwards.

As for not being finished, i agree, but probly not in the way you are thinking. I think the Rebels are done, save for maybe 1 or 2 minor deals, untill late October. I say this, because we have an abundance of 16-17 year old kids who havn't quite made the cut yet, and could provide some trade bait for what we need going forward. There is no way they could all make the team, but I think a good portion of them will be here next season.

The Website already lists Landon Ferraro, Matt Fraser, Mike Krgovich, Spencer Edwards, Joel Kot, Cass Mappin and Mike Scarborough, all of which were not full timers with the Rebs, which leads you to believe they will be a shoe in for spots on the team this year.

Also, we had numerous players who are in that age group who made it to the Black & White game last year, but never made the big club (full time, I know some played games). I dont have access to the 50 man PPL anymore (and if anyone could help me out, I would reallly appreciate it), but here are some names that potentially could be on that list, and on our team, or somebody else's team next season.

Travis Rolheiser, Paul Levarsky, Zak Stebner, Shawn Hunter, Travis Briard, Colin Archer, Jared Chernoff ,Rory Connop, Craig Eisenhut, Andrew Lefebvre, Curtis McKenzie, Justin Moir, Dominic Perrault, Erik Slemp, Braely Torris, Andrew Walsh, Justin Weller, and Tory Wilfong.

This list also does not include Bradley Eidsness (No Show Goalie from Last year's Camp) or Aaron Marvin (The guy we got from lethbridge for Gionfriddo), who (if they are on our 50 man PPL) could add to, or provide trade bait for our team this year.

Also, to start the rumor mill, the paper hinted the other day that there could be a significant chance that Starkov may return to the Rebels.

All in all, I think this will truly be our "Build from within" year, in preperation for 2009 and 2010.

RebelsFan
06-27-2007, 06:19 PM
As far as I know Connop and Levarsky have been deleted from the list.

SectionNDeserter
06-27-2007, 06:52 PM
I don't know about Connop, but I would think that with Levarsky not cracking the lineup full time as a 16 year old or a 17 year old, he would have been removed to make room on the list prior to the Bantam draft.

RebelsFan
06-27-2007, 08:05 PM
Levarsky was deleted just prior to this years bantam draft and Connop was deleted after.

SectionNDeserter
06-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Also, to start the rumor mill, the paper hinted the other day that there could be a significant chance that Starkov may return to the Rebels.I would think that the lack of a second Import selection by the Rebels would indicate that Sutter has some sort of an idea about the status of Starkov returning to Red Deer, though he could be planning on trading for an import, or he is just going with one import. Do you guys think that Starkov is worth occupying an overage spot and an import spot?

Shinyshoes
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Do you guys think that Starkov is worth occupying an overage spot and an import spot? Starkov was a 18 yr old last season. No overager spot would be required

Red celtic
06-28-2007, 09:46 AM
Starkov was a 18 yr old last season. No overager spot would be required
Shiny Starkov's birthday is 1987-03-31 so he would be a 20 yr. old next year.

WHL Rules
06-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Edited: Red Celtic beat me to it. :D

Shinyshoes
06-28-2007, 01:07 PM
My mistake. Not sure what kind of crack I was on when I wrote that......

Having said that, I think a point-a-game player from last season would be a welcome addition, regardless if he required the "Double" Exemption.'

WHL Rules
06-28-2007, 01:24 PM
Having said that, I think a point-a-game player from last season would be a welcome addition, regardless if he required the "Double" Exemption.'

Completely agree with you. He would probably be one of the best players in the league and for sure top three in both OA and Import players category.

It would be great to have him but I really doubt that Columbus will send him back.

Right now it looks like a rather long year with a very young and inexperienced team.

SectionNDeserter
06-28-2007, 06:11 PM
It would be great to have him but I really doubt that Columbus will send him backWe have really gotten the shaft when it comes to star (in the WHL at least) 19/20 year old players being returned (at least compared to other teams), I think we are due! :D

Though his return would almost certainly ensure that we would have no overage players on the back end, at least for the time being, and would have to make PPL a little nervous.