PDA

View Full Version : Blades have strong Finnish in import draft

nivek_wahs
06-28-2007, 08:26 AM
http://www.canada.com/saskatoonstarphoenix/news/sports/story.html?id=6cdfefc9-0c28-4400-8147-0be593bd5fc4

Blades have strong Finnish in import draft

Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, June 28, 2007

Finnish defenceman Jyri Niemi didn't break a sweat until after Wednesday's Canadian Hockey League import draft.

The Saskatoon Blades picked him 13th overall and he celebrated in true Finnish style.

"We are having a sauna night," Niemi declared from Lahti, Finland, where he is teaching hockey school.

Niemi, 17, played junior in Finland last season with HPK Hameenlinna. The 6-foot-3, 200-pound skater is eligible for next year's NHL draft.

"He's a big, strong kid who has all kinds of potential and we look forward to having him," said Blades coach-GM Lorne Molleken.

With their second-round pick, 66th overall, the Blades chose Slovakian forward Robert Brandis. The 6-foot-1 winger turns 19 in September.

Molleken and his staff focused much of their pre-draft efforts on Finland, though. Blades scout Don Toporowski did some networking through his son, Shayne, who has played the past four seasons in Finland. Those connections led the Blades to Niemi.

Craig Oster, Niemi's Toronto-based agent, said his client has committed to joining the Blades later this summer. First, Niemi will represent Finland at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial (formerly the Junior World Cup) from Aug. 14-18 in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

"I know Jyri well because we've represented him for almost two years," said Oster. "He's an outstanding young man and a really good character guy. His English is excellent already.

"He's had it in his mind for over a year now that he wanted to come over and play junior."

Niemi instantly becomes one of the biggest defencemen on the Blades' roster. Mitch Berg, 16, also stands 6-foot-3.

"He's a mobile guy for somebody his size and he makes really smart decisions with the puck," said Oster. "He doesn't do anything fancy and I don't expect him to be an overly prolific offensive guy, but he shoots the puck well and makes strong decisions."

In 35 regular-season games with Hameenlinna, Niemi registered six goals, three assists and 72 penalty minutes. He added four points and 14 penalty minutes in eight playoff games.

"I'm a defenceman who likes to keep the puck, but still play a physical game," said Niemi.

In that sense, he's not unlike some of his countrymen. His favourite players include Pittsburgh Penguins agitator Jarkko Ruutu and former NHLer Raimo Helminen, who remains a popular player in Finland's top pro league.

Oster cautioned that Niemi will need time to adjust to his new hockey hangout.

"I don't think he'll come in next year and be a huge impact player, just because he's 17 and there aren't many 17-year-olds that are impact players, whether they're from Canada or Europe," said Oster. "Yet as he matures and understands the North American style of play, I think he can be a very, very good player."

Niemi is the first Finn to be drafted by the Blades since 1997, when Petja Pietilainen joined the club. Pietilainen played two seasons with Saskatoon.

Brandis, meanwhile, collected 32 points in 47 games with a Slovakian junior team.

"We don't know a lot about him," said Blades assistant GM Jarrod Brodsky. "A European scout for one of the NHL teams really liked this kid, so we're sort going off of that."

Brandis's age and size should allow him to compete for a job on one of the Blades' top two lines, added Brodsky.

ICE CHIPS: The Prince Albert Raiders used the 19th overall pick to select 17-year-old Czech D Tomas Voracek. The 6-foot-2, 198-pounder registered 11 points in 38 games with his Vitkovice junior team. Prince Albert traded up to get Kelowna's second-round pick, 64th overall, and selected 19-year-old German C Maxamilian Brandl.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

Tidball
06-30-2007, 02:48 AM
I really like the words that the scouts have said regarding both euros. My favorite part was that @17 hes ready to commit to the Blades already. I cant wait to catch a glimpse of him. With these Euros, Kaye, and Durand are 4 VERY solid editions to the club and should make us a stronger team.

GOBLADESGO#3 (among other aliases)
06-30-2007, 10:47 AM
Once again I will compare the Blades to the Jays. In the 2006 off-season the Jays aquired Bengie Molina, Troy Glaus, A.J. Burnett, and Lyle Overbay. In this off-season the Blades aquired a ero, another ero, Durand, and Kaye...hmmm.

SectionNDeserter
06-30-2007, 03:25 PM
Once again I will compare the Blades to the Jays.I think the Blades might still have terrible pitching though... :D

GBG BLEED BLUE
06-30-2007, 03:37 PM
I think the Blades might still have terrible pitching though... :D
Yes it is very obvious, I wish he would just stop comparing two different sports,and none of those other guys are from Europe so his comparison is bad,can not spell properly but whatever he is a youngster still. I really hope that with the Blades adding these players that they will have a competitive team this season. The Blades still can add one more 20 year old(I hope it is a defencemen) I think we will see some more trades to make room for some more youth that is waiting in the wings,but reguardless the Blades will probably be in the race for 1st in the east for the entire season.(or at least I hope so.)

Trav
06-30-2007, 04:27 PM
no question bout that. I think Molleken has finally put his stamp on the team. Not to many players left on the team from when McEwen was the GM. I think just Gillies, McCrae, Ward, Funk and Holtby were drafted by McEwen. The rest of the players on the team and probably on the protected list to are Molleken's doings.

Really curious to see Brandis and Niemi at camp. Brandis isnt that highly talked about so he'll be interesting to watch. I'm sure both will come motivated to get noticed by the NHL.

07-02-2007, 05:50 PM
Yes it is very obvious, I wish he would just stop comparing two different sports,and none of those other guys are from Europe so his comparison is bad,can not spell properly but whatever he is a youngster still. I really hope that with the Blades adding these players that they will have a competitive team this season. The Blades still can add one more 20 year old(I hope it is a defencemen) I think we will see some more trades to make room for some more youth that is waiting in the wings,but reguardless the Blades will probably be in the race for 1st in the east for the entire season.(or at least I hope so.)

Wow, shut down.

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-02-2007, 10:34 PM
Wow, shut down.
I was reffering to this post actually.

Once again I will compare the Blades to the Jays. In the 2006 off-season the Jays aquired Bengie Molina, Troy Glaus, A.J. Burnett, and Lyle Overbay. In this off-season the Blades aquired a ero, another ero, Durand, and Kaye...hmmm.

Baseball and Hockey are two different sports.... I know what you are trying to say,but I think it would be different if you would have compared the two teams/sports after one season with these players. Also it would certainly help if there was a spell check option here. haha dancing pi pbj

I think someone needs to use it(just for some minor corrections though.) :D

I am really excited to see what these new europeans can add to the Blades in all aspects of the game. I think with all of the players that have been added so far,that they will contribute and make the team stronger and have more sucess.

07-02-2007, 11:28 PM
I was just saying it looks the same and in the end it was all but good for the Jays, maybe it can be the same for the Blades.