PDA

View Full Version : Who needs a goalie ?

grainbear
07-04-2007, 07:16 AM
Listened to our Gm on an interview on shaw the other day and he implied that with the Finnish goalie coming one of the three of Maniago, Leclerc and the import would be traded after training camp to address other possible needs on the team. Perhaps a power winger is my thoughts. I did a quick review of the rosters and see possible needs for an experienced goaltender for maybe Brandon, Kootenay, Portland and Edmonton. Somehow , I don,t see it happening with Kootenay or Edmonton simply because who wants a motivated goalie to play against in your own division. Other possiblities were Seattle and Medicine Hat but with them both selecting goalies in the import draft not likely. If I were to bet I would say Portland because of abundance of young players they have on their roster would seem that the movement of 1 forward for an experienced goaltender would make sense. any thoughts from you Winter Hawk fans ?

Caner
07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
The minute the canes drafted an euro goalie it became obvious that a goalie would be moved (probably before camp), I wouldn't take stasiuk for his word, he's already looking to deal. It is also obvious who the canes will be shopping.
:clown:

bandwagonboy
07-10-2007, 01:43 PM
The tigers could need a goalie depending on how holfeld performs but I can't ever see the cane's making a trade with the tigers. Goaltending could be the tiger's biggest question mark this season and as division rivals I don't see the hurricanes helping the tigers solve that problem.

Although I'd love to see either of Lethbridge's goaltender's in a tig uniform, that is if Holfeld doesn't prove to be up to the challenge. I just don't see it happening.

I gotta say I like the cane's chances this year. Deep and talented, perhaps central division champs? I heard some insider info that their main problems last season were with the assistant coaching staff. Haven't they already addressed those problems?

Triton
07-11-2007, 12:36 AM
Brandon might just go with the two young guys, Caliguiri and Hayes.

OpenFivehole
07-11-2007, 05:15 PM
Mucha has already proved himself capable of handling the majority of the work load. He started to shine as a 16 year old leading the Hawks in the playoffs, and played in 62 games last season. Not to mention the Hawks have also signed goaltending prospect Mark Guggenburger to compete with Kurtis for the starting role this coming season.

canes77
07-12-2007, 12:10 AM
I gotta say I like the cane's chances this year. Deep and talented, perhaps central division champs? I heard some insider info that their main problems last season were with the assistant coaching staff. Haven't they already addressed those problems?

As far as I know, the assistant coaches are still around, and I can agree with you that they should be fixing these problems. Hmm seems we go through different coaches every summer...

bandwagonboy
07-12-2007, 01:23 AM
As far as I know, the assistant coaches are still around, and I can agree with you that they should be fixing these problems. Hmm seems we go through different coaches every summer...

Take it for what it's worth as I can't reveal the source but I was told that Dyck does a great job but that his assistants are a waste. You can either believe that, or you can dismiss it because I don't know how solid that info is. As far as problems go needing to find a couple of decent assistants ranks as easier to solve than not knowing if you have a decent goalie or losing the WHL defencemen of the year. I'd say no matter what the coaching problem may or may not be in Lethbridge the canes still look tougher than the tigers this season anyway.

I have to say I hope lethbridge turns it around and becomes a real contender. No, actually as a tiger fan I hope Lethbridge continues to flounder. Let's just say the tiger fan in me hopes lethbridge tanks it and the hockey fan in me hopes they win the league. I think either scenario is possible.

hockeypsycho
07-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Defensement of the Year . . . are you referring to Ben Wright? I guess not . . . he was not the defensemen of the year . . . that honour went to Tomas Kudelka . . . I was surprised as well.

As for the assistants, we had one quit during the year . . . I hear because he couldn't work with Stasiuk. The other is Matt Kabayama who seems like a really nice guy . . . but I have no idea how he is as a coach . . . and Jeff Battah who is more of the goalie coach. Given the climat that these people have to work under, I think they are probably doing as good a job as anyone can expect. I'm not sure we can attract too many qualified candidates at this point.

I think that it doesn't matter which goalie we keep, what is important is to improve our defense. We certainly scored enough goals last year but we gave up far too many. If you look at the top teams they don't allow more than 4-5 good scoring chances in a game . . . we were letting that many every period. It was interesting to see David Reekie go from being near the bottom of the league (in stats) to the top when he was traded . . . I think defense deserve a lot of credit when a goalie does well.

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a list of the players' three star selections . . . it would be interesting to know who got the stars last year, especially away from home. I would also be interested in knowing who got the most "Hit of the Night" awards and "Hardest Working Hurricane." Maybe someone out there has that info?

grainbear
07-12-2007, 10:24 PM
3 star analysis for last year
1. Fadden 10 home 4 away
2. Boychuk 6 home 6 away
3.Hogg 6 home 3 away
4. Le Clerc 5 Home 3 away
5. Wright 5 Home 2 away and Bailey 4 home 3 away
6. Banchs 3 home 3 away and D King 6 home

loudi94
07-12-2007, 10:25 PM
King and Kerr got their fair share of "hits" if I recall. Neilson81 should remember, he was in on most of the decisions. Hardest working and 3 stars was a joke sometimes, so I wouldn't put any stock into it.

hockeypsycho
07-13-2007, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the info.
You can't read too much into this but it is interesting how Boychuk managed to get 6 stars, away from home! Also, diidn't "defensemen of the year" Tomas K. not get any stars??? We are going to miss Hogg and Bailey, they were truly awesome, but look at all the others that are coming back and should do even better this year!

bandwagonboy
07-13-2007, 03:54 PM
Defensement of the Year . . . are you referring to Ben Wright?

Actually I was refering to Kris Russell, trying to make the point that the tigers were losing alot more than the hurricanes.

grainbear
07-14-2007, 10:14 AM
yes , he got the grand total of 3 stars
2 at home and 1 on the road

Interestingly just before he left to go to the World Junior Tournaments, almost like I guess I should elevate my game before the tournament and then once he returned he played okay but was never prepared to put himself on the line where he might jepardize his pro career

hockeypsycho
07-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Unfortunately, when you reward a player (perhaps) because you want to please the agent, etc. you penalize the one who should have won the "Defensemen of the Year Award." If I were Ben Wright I would be a little ticked off at being overlooked in this case . . . he certainly wasn't overlooked when the coach needed a player in a clutch situation.

I know this is old news but the other award that I thought was a little suspect was "Hit of the Night" . . . I know Verteeg had a few hits . . . but overall, I think Kerr dominated in this area . . . all season long.