PDA

View Full Version : Chris Stevens Signs pro-deal

Tiger Trauma
07-07-2007, 03:19 PM
Stevens signs pro-deal
By DARREN STEINKE

Chris Stevens is following in the footsteps of his former Medicine Hat Tigers teammate Tommy Maxwell.
Stevens has inked a one-year contract to play with the Phoenix Roadrunners of the East Coast Hockey League (ECHL) — the same club former Tigers right-winger Tommy Maxwell started his professional career with last season.
“It’s definitely nice,” said Stevens, 21, over the phone from his home in Dawson Creek, B.C. “I wasn’t really sure what was going to happen after the year.
“To get it out of the way so early is nice knowing where I am going. I know what to focus on for the upcoming year.”
Besides the East Coast contract, Stevens will also have the opportunity to go to camp with the San Antonio Rampage in the American Hockey League, and expects to have a crack with the big club.
“As of right now, my agent is still waiting to hear back from the (NHL’s) Phoenix Coyotes,” said Stevens. “I probably won’t know for another week or so on that decision.”
Stevens joined the Tigers during the 2005 WHL playoffs, he appeared in 159 straight regular season and playoff contests. In his swan song in Medicine Hat last season as an overager, Stevens tied captain Kris Russell for the team lead in goals at 32.
Stevens also recorded career highs in assists (25) and points (57).
In WHL playoffs, the durable forward had eight goals, 11 assists and was a plus-eight over 23 games the Tigers played to earn the WHL title.
Unfortunately, his effectiveness was hampered during the Memorial Cup tournament by a separated right shoulder injury. He managed to play three out of the four games including the 3-1 championship game loss to the Vancouver Giants, but didn’t record any points.
Stevens said the fact he returned for the final was a big selling point for the Roadrunners. As for his shoulder, it is still in the recovery process.
“It is not bad,” said Stevens, who stands 5-foot-10 and weighs 197 pounds. “It still from time to time pains me a bit.
“I have just been trying to strengthen it since June and getting it ready for next season.”
Stevens also said talks with Maxwell helped with the decision. With the Roadrunners last season, Maxwell appeared in 51 games collecting five goals, eight assists, and he led all ECHL rookies with 213 penalty minutes.
“Obviously, I talk to Tom last year when he was down there,” said Stevens. “He called me a few times, while I was talking to Phoenix.
“I think it helps knowing that someone has been there and knows what it is like. He had nothing but good things to say about the organization. It definitely made my decision a little bit easier.”
He also admitted the bonds are strong not only with Maxwell but the rest of his former Tigers teammates.
“It was such a great year that it is hard to just stop thinking about,” said Stevens.
“At the same time, you talk to all the guys.
“It is nice to know that everyone is doing good and having a good summer and preparing their best for the next hockey season.”

-Mediicne Hat News online edition

bandwagonboy
07-10-2007, 01:33 PM
I was wondering what his fate would be. Dunno if will ever make the show but I certainly hope that he defy the odds and get there. Gutsy kid, hardly ever saw him back down to anyone even though he only won about half the fights he was in. Lots of heart too, his injuries should have sidelined him in the memorial cup and through the entire red deer series.

Hopefully instead of the ECHL he'll make the AHL this season.