PDA

View Full Version : new niemi article from blades site

wango tango
07-11-2007, 01:05 PM
The hardshooting Finnish blueliner Jyri Niemi, 17, will wear the Blades uniform proudly in the 2007-2008 season. Niemi, a 13th overall draft-pick in the recent CHL import-draft event, is anxiously looking forward coming to Saskatoon.

-

I have been using google a lot and checking out what Saskatoon looks like. I can't wait to get there, the city looks beautiful and the rink also seems very nice.

Prior to the import-draft Niemi, 6'3/200, learned there was genuine interest towards him from many Major Junior teams across the canadian continent.

I heard from couple other WHL-teams and there was one OHL team interested in me, too. However, after talking to my friend Mikko Kuukka [a former Red Deer Rebels] I knew if I was going to Canada, I would play in WHL.

Niemi started playing hockey at the tender age of 4. His biggest hockey idols were Al MacInnis and the Finnish legend Raimo Helminen.

I started out as a forward and I played that position for 10 years. Four years ago my coach, Matti Holmala, made me a defenseman. It took some time for me to adjust playing defense, I have to be honest.

Originally Niemi had plans to play in Finland for one more year. After hearing the Blades were seriously interested in drafting him, Niemi got excited and changing the original plan was easy.

I knew the Blades were serious about me. After thinking things over, I decided to commit to a new challenge and play in Canada. I will be doing some schoolwork via internet.

During the 2006-2007 season Niemi made a huge jump from Finnish Junior C SM-liiga (15-16yrs olds) to Finnish Junior A SM-liiga. In his first Junior A games Niemi was not given too much icetime. However, the young defenceman was working hard in the practises and also committed into extra practises constantly. Hard work paid off and Niemi saw his icetime increasing with his Junior A team, HPK.

At first it was very hard for me to adjust playing in Junior A. I wasn't given a whole lot of icetime but around Christmas, I got to play more. I got more confidence and held onto the puck more and I was able to read the situations in-beforehand. All that led to some point-scoring, but the most important thing is I feel like I improved a lot and I have to keep on working hard. I'm still a young guy and there are many aspects in my game which I can develop.

Niemi's team, HPK, struggled all thru the season. In 42 regular-season games HPK produced only 97 goals and allowed a whopping 149 goals. Despite all this, Niemi was only -2 after the regular-season. In total Niemi played 35 games for HPK Junior A team racking up 6+3=9 points - 2nd best in HPK defensemen scoring - and adding 72 penalty minutes.

I could say the Blades fans can expect to see me shooting the puck often and hard. And hopefully into the goal, too, occassionally!

When asking Niemi about which aspects of his game he feels like he would need to improve, the young man responds almost lightning-fast.

I need to get better handling the puck, I need to work on my shot and my positioning. It will be almost a whole new game to me in WHL, they have a smaller ice surface and the game is much more physical than what it is in Finland. I have to play hard out there and try to play consistent. If someone tries to intimidate me and wants to test me, I won't be backing down thats for sure. I want to be able to take care of myself.

Niemi has already been noted by many NHL scouts. The Saskatoon Blades Finnish informant Jukka Suutari believes Niemi will be a solid contributor for the Blades. "Jyri is definitely a character guy. He took huge strides forward all thru the 2006-2007 season. He possess a good hard shot and kept his game simple when needed, he didn't try anything overly fancy nor did he sacrifice defense for the sake of offense. I believe the Blades organization will be happy having Jyri around!"

Niemi has been a regular participant in the Finnish national junior teams.
Small injuries have, however, limited his appearances in the national team. The young Finn hopes to stay healthy all thru next season and is also working extra hard to make one of his dreams come true - getting drafted to the NHL.

Even though his biggest games are still way ahead in the future, Niemi chuckles when he mentions about his most memorable hockey game thus far.

"A couple years ago we played in the finals against Ilves, a team from Tampere. We beat them 12-0 and I racked up 3+2=5 points. It was pretty unreal! We had such a great team back then."

Niemi will be arriving to Saskatoon around mid-August. His english is already good and the young blueliner feels confident he will find his spot in the lockerroom easily.

"I'm pretty vocal and relaxed guy, I always try to keep up the good spirit and fighting spirit. I'm a little nervous already about leaving home and going to Canada, but I look forward playing for the Saskatoon Blades!"