PDA

View Full Version : Sutter to NJ

Hitmen1
07-11-2007, 09:28 PM
Breaking News.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=213329&hubname=

Triton
07-11-2007, 10:54 PM
I'm surprised, but not surprised. Just when i thought the league got rid of a Sutter, they turn around and hire another Sutter.

Rebels30
07-11-2007, 10:58 PM
All i have to say is that it better not happen!

i'll be shocked if it does, since all the talk about him waiting until brandon
moves on and brooke is done school and all that.

can only hope he stays with the Rebels

Dwight Schrute
07-11-2007, 11:42 PM
i figured he'd wait till brandon was done in junior

bandwagonboy
07-12-2007, 01:30 AM
i figured he'd wait till brandon was done in junior

As did I. I also figured he'd go to calgary. He must have sat down and had a heart to heart with the family, as I figured he'd wait to step up to the pros until brandon graduated. But really, there's nothing left for him to accomplish at this level, it must be frustrating for him to continue coaching in the dub. I imagine it would be like dion Phaneuf or Sidney Crosby playing their OA year in junior.

rebelfan
07-12-2007, 01:47 AM
Wow, is about all I can say. Never thought it would happen with Brandon still in juniors. Does anyone know how Brian compares to Brent? Do they have similar styles? Could be an interesting year.

RDRebelsfan
07-12-2007, 05:36 AM
Brian and Brent have the same coaches policies I am sure. Brian just came off a year of coaching the Bentley Generals AAA Men's team all the way to an Allan Cup. We all knew this day was coming.

SectionNDeserter
07-12-2007, 07:18 AM
Quite a strange set of circumstances, if it is indeed true. He turned down all the good offers from other teams over the years, and then turns around and steps into the revolving door of coaches that is the New Jersey Devils. Oh well, good or bad it is still the show. Good luck Brent! yeehoo

Shinyshoes
07-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Its Official.

http://www.reddeerrebels.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=408&Itemid=36

SectionNDeserter
07-12-2007, 03:52 PM
Interesting. The article says that Brian Sutter was named the coach, but I wonder who the GM will be?

wango tango
07-12-2007, 04:09 PM
i also note jesse wallin has been made an associate coach. i think a team would do well to watch wallin's progression as a coach and consider him for a head coaching vacancy in a couple of years time. maybe he is being groomed for the top job with the rebs in future.

would brian sutter be connected enough to be gm? or will someone else assume the role?

RDRebelsfan
07-12-2007, 06:01 PM
Brian Sutter is also GM.

SectionNDeserter
07-12-2007, 06:06 PM
Ahh ok, It doesn't say that in the article or even in their updated staff page, and I haven't seen any other news article yet that states that, though it does make sense.

FreddieFender
07-12-2007, 06:24 PM
Is Dallas Guame still part of this coaching staff?

SectionNDeserter
07-12-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes, the press release says that Dallas, Radar and I think Terrence Robertson all signed contract extensions.

RebelsFan
07-12-2007, 06:40 PM
What is the difference between an associate coach and an assistant coach? Is Jesse higher up the ladder than Dallas? Maybe Dallas will follow Brent to the show.

Rebel Tiger
07-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Was playing for the St Louis Blues when he retired to coach that NHL franchise. He also coached at lest 2 other NHL teams and won coach of the year in the NHL once.

After retireing from the NHL sceen he recently took Bentley to the (Allan cup?) finals.

Red Deer is still in good hands.

07-14-2007, 09:18 AM
definitely surprised to see him go with Brandon and Brett still there. more so brandon (obviously) but i think brian will do a good job for sure

icegoth
07-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Is there anyone placing any friendly wagers as to when Brandon will move from the Cane to the Horns?

My prediction will be if Brent stays on as coach over two years, he'll be picked up.

WHL Rules
07-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Was playing for the St Louis Blues when he retired to coach that NHL franchise. He also coached at lest 2 other NHL teams and won coach of the year in the NHL once.

After retireing from the NHL sceen he recently took Bentley to the (Allan cup?) finals.

Red Deer is still in good hands.

Let's just hope he doesn't try to beat up his (lazy) players this time. ;)

rebelfan
07-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Is there anyone placing any friendly wagers as to when Brandon will move from the Cane to the Horns?

My prediction will be if Brent stays on as coach over two years, he'll be picked up.

Been thinking the same thing, but I wonder if Brent didn't leave the Rebels now as opposed to later because of the pressure on both Brent and Brandon being emotionally connected. Brent said in an interview with TSN that a player didn't have to love his coach but he had to respect, etc. A hard sell when you are father and son. You protect love when you are family and must have interfered with some aspects of the game for both of them.

Shinyshoes
07-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Brian Sutter is also GM. Not true. There is no "GM" position with the rebels right now. The position has been split into 2, with the business side of the job (Sponsors, Tickets, ect) being Jerry Van Someren's responsibility, and the Hockey side fo the job (trades, PPL Adjustments, ect) being Randy Peterson's Responsibility.

SectionNDeserter
07-15-2007, 04:00 PM
You protect love when you are family and must have interfered with some aspects of the game for both of them.
Hehe, I remember a few years back when Brett was still with the Kootenay Ice, he was standing in front of the Rebel bench jawing away at someone on the bench and Stuart Kerr came by and absolutely straight-armed him and put him on his back. Brent got this sheepish look on his face and looked the other way, like it didn't happen. :D

RDRebelsfan
07-15-2007, 07:55 PM
Not true. There is no "GM" position with the rebels right now. The position has been split into 2, with the business side of the job (Sponsors, Tickets, ect) being Jerry Van Someren's responsibility, and the Hockey side fo the job (trades, PPL Adjustments, ect) being Randy Peterson's Responsibility.

ah I see. Well thanks for clearing this up. So any future trade that happens now is the work of Randy Peterson. Gotcha!