PDA

View Full Version : Colton Gillies...a request for information...

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Greetings. Let me introduce myself. My name is Derek Felska and I write for a website called Most Valuable Network (MVN). I cover the Minnesota Wild and I was wondering what you could tell me about Colton Gillies. I could read the little paragraphs places like McKeen's and The Hockey News kick out, but I want a 100% honest assessment from the fans. I think fans are keen observers who have little reason to glorify a player the way a paid scout does. I have written articles about other Wild prospects using fan information. Here is an example...

James Sheppard article (http://mvn.com/nhl-wild/2007/03/30/wild-prospect-preview-james-sheppard/)

The article is about another Wild 1st rounder, James Sheppard - and virtually all of the information I got from Cape Breton fans. I am not after learning dirt on Colton Gillies or writing a scathing editorial; I just want the most in-depth analysis of this guy from those who watch him a lot (you guys / gals).

For anyone who gives me information I am more than willing to cite you as a contributing source, afterall its YOUR information. So...what would I like to know?

Strengths: What are the best parts of Gillies' game? What does he do well on a consistant basis?

Weaknesses: What are his weakest parts of Gillies' game? What does he struggle with?

Work Ethic: I know you may not be privy to this; but what is he like at practices? Does he work his tail off at practices? Is his work ethic consistant during games? Does he work as hard in the offensive end as he does back in the defensive end?

Character & Leadership: What would you say Gillies' attitude is like? Is he a team player? Is a he a player exudes leadership on & off the ice?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

(By the way) the Tri-City Logo is because the Wild have drafted more from the Americans than any other in the WHL.

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-14-2007, 12:15 PM
First of all welcome to the site. Colton Gillies is a very exciting player to watch(I am Season Ticket Holder of the Saskatoon Blades,so I watch him on a very regualar basis.)

I would have to think his strengths would be his speed(for being a tall player he is vey fast.) He is not a selfish player. Another strength of his is his ability to perform when called apon.(specifically in shoot-outs)

I think that one of his weaknesses is that he lacks a scoring touch. He is a physical player and with that being said he finishes his checks,but sometimes he hits when the opposing player is in a dangerous position(from behind,in the "NO CHECK ZONE" by the boards) but sometimes the opposing player sees him comming and turns their back. I am sure this is something he can and will change because if he does he will be even more respected then he already is. That is what most opposing fans harp on him the most is his supposedly dirty hits(I AM NOT DENYING THAT SOME OF THEM ARE DIRTY)

His work ethic is second to none,there are sometimes when he may make mistakes,but otherwise he gives 110% each shift. He is definatly a two way player.

His additude is great,he is one of the assistant captains on the team and has great leadership quailities. Yes he is a team player and I have not seen him at practices but with a coach like Lorne Molleken I would think that he would make the entire team work their tail off at practice(including Gillies.)

There is another debate going on with him,he played defence in minor hockey(he did play defence for a couple of games for the Blades because of injuries) and switched to forward about 4 years ago,so some people think that he would be a better defencemen then forward. I think that Molleken will keep him as a forward.

If there are any more questions you have, I will gladly do my best to answer them,just like with these ones.

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 01:40 PM
The Wild are not going to look to convert him like they did with Brent Burns. I think the conversion of Brent Burns came more out of necessity than the team thinking he could be converted into a defenseman from the start. The yo-yo experiment between him playing forward and defense was very annoying for most Wild fans because he seemed loss; not through a lack of effort but he was never at one position long enough to really feel comfortable. Finally the team ended the experiment, had him mentored by Keith Carney and we got a fairly decent defenseman.

Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it.

How is Colton in terms of winning faceoffs? Is he a penalty killer / power play guy for your team? When you say dirty hits...what sort are we talking about. Are we talking about sucker punches, knee to knee, or just a guy who will hit a guy from behind? Would you say the penalties he recieves are for those sorts of hits, or are they the more mundane hooking, holding, types of penalties? What are his "signature" shootout moves? Does he fight? If so, how good is he as a fighter?

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-14-2007, 04:34 PM
The Wild are not going to look to convert him like they did with Brent Burns. I think the conversion of Brent Burns came more out of necessity than the team thinking he could be converted into a defenseman from the start. The yo-yo experiment between him playing forward and defense was very annoying for most Wild fans because he seemed loss; not through a lack of effort but he was never at one position long enough to really feel comfortable. Finally the team ended the experiment, had him mentored by Keith Carney and we got a fairly decent defenseman.

Thanks for the welcome I appreciate it.

How is Colton in terms of winning faceoffs? Is he a penalty killer / power play guy for your team? When you say dirty hits...what sort are we talking about. Are we talking about sucker punches, knee to knee, or just a guy who will hit a guy from behind? Would you say the penalties he recieves are for those sorts of hits, or are they the more mundane hooking, holding, types of penalties? What are his "signature" shootout moves? Does he fight? If so, how good is he as a fighter?

He is pretty good with faceoffs, he is a Power Play guy,he might see some time on the Penalty Kill,depending who is in the box. When i say "dirty hits" I ment more like charging,and checking from behind. No sucker punches, knee on knee,he will stick up for a team mate but will not drop the gloves,that is not his style.

Ok his signature shootout move. It is nice and scores 9 times out of 10,but the goalies will(if they have not already) catch on. The move itself is a deke fake,and shoot opposite side. (I have tried a couple of times myself in a shoot-out too haha ) It worked too. :thumb: I am pretty sure that Gillies is almost done growing,but if he can add some more muscle to his frame he will be even more dangerous. I am very excited that I will be able to watch him all season next season. Like I said great player to watch.

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 06:14 PM
What is his role on the power play? Screening the goaltender? Working the half-wall? You're giving me a pretty vivid picture of what to expect out of him already. Thanks a ton!

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-14-2007, 08:08 PM
What is his role on the power play? Screening the goaltender? Working the half-wall? You're giving me a pretty vivid picture of what to expect out of him already. Thanks a ton!
I think that Molleken put him on the side boards,and then as the puck gets cycled around and goes to the point he,will then move to the front of the net. He is basically used on the side on the Power play,although when he was playing defence he was on the point. As a forward he was used on the side boards though.

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 08:24 PM
he likes to hit more along the boards or does he like the big open ice hit as well? By the way, once I finish the article I'll make sure I'll post it here. Also if you would like your name mentioned as a source of information I can do that; all you'd have to do is private message me with that information. You've been most helpful! Thanks!

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-14-2007, 10:45 PM
he likes to hit more along the boards or does he like the big open ice hit as well? By the way, once I finish the article I'll make sure I'll post it here. Also if you would like your name mentioned as a source of information I can do that; all you'd have to do is private message me with that information. You've been most helpful! Thanks!

Actually I think he is not picky any hit he can make,is fine by him,it does not really matter where,but yes he does like to hit along the boards and make the big open ice hits as well. He is a well rounded player(execpt for the no fighting thing) He needs to work on some more things though to make him the "total package" I would say right now he is only "half the package" that he can be. Which means he still has more potential and should reach it, help the Blades be sucessful and win a memorial cup.(Along with the help of his teamates of course.)

Yes you can mention my name as source of information. When you are done writing the article.

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 10:54 PM
And I'll make sure it gets mentioned as a source. Thanks a ton for your analysis. Anyone else wish to chime in? Even if you disagree; that's good because then I can distill the truth from the commonalities...(I am not saying what you've said is wrong) but its good to have multiple opinions. Even if its saying "I agree" you know?

BladeRunner
07-15-2007, 09:28 PM
hey man whats up!

its cool to see that your looking towards the fans for some information, i like that. i try and go all the blades games when i am not working and gillies is my faverite player on the team. GBG BLEED BLUE knows his stuff, he pretty much summed up gillies, he does have great leadership skills, i very much like his physicalness to his game and most deffinatly gives it his all every shift, 110%, really great to see. im kinda giving you the same thing GBG BLEED BLUE told you but i just had to say something because gillies is just amazing player to watch.

be great if you did post the article on this site, would love to read!

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-15-2007, 09:34 PM
hey man whats up!

its cool to see that your looking towards the fans for some information, i like that. i try and go all the blades games when i am not working and gillies is my faverite player on the team. GBG BLEED BLUE knows his stuff, he pretty much summed up gillies, he does have great leadership skills, i very much like his physicalness to his game and most deffinatly gives it his all every shift, 110%, really great to see. im kinda giving you the same thing GBG BLEED BLUE told you but i just had to say something because gillies is just amazing player to watch.

be great if you did post the article on this site, would love to read!
Hey there, He already said that he would and he would use my name as a source of information since I gave it all to him.

I am definatly getting tickets to the Canada/Russia Superseries when it comes to Saskatoon on Sept 5th,because he will be in it.

Hey man you need a player avatar just like mine,if you want just look in the Blades Avatars Thread,If you want someone that is not there just let me know and I will make it happen.

MVNWriter23
07-15-2007, 09:37 PM
I'll likely write it this week, and I will definately post it here. I hope it lives up to your standards.

MVNWriter23
07-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Colton Gillies Report (http://mvn.com/nhl-wild/2007/07/16/wild-prospect-preview-colton-gillies/)

Wild Prospect Preview: Colton Gillies

By Derek Felska | July 16th, 2007

Name (Team / League): Colton Gillies (Saskatoon Blades / WHL)
Height: 6′3″

Weight: 188lbs
Position: Centre / Defenseman
Statistics: 65GP 13G 17A = 30pts 148 PIM’s -20

Strengths: The most apparent strength in Gillies’ game is his skating. Gillies has tremendous acceleration, but also a silky smooth stride that you normally do not find in players his size. His next greatest strengths are his work ethic and physicality which are another demonstration of his tremendous athleticism. He also possesses great quickness and combined with his great speed makes him a highly effective forecheker. The Burnaby, British Columbia-native is noted for always giving his maximum effort each shift, and is noted for his penchant for delivering bone-rattling body checks along the boards. The nephew of New York Islanders and NHL Hall of Famer Clarke Gillies plays a two way game who works equally hard in the offensive end as he does his own. He also plays on both the power play and penalty kill Gillies also has already established a level of leadership as he currently serves the Blades as an assistant captain. One skill that few are aware of his Gillies excellent prowess in the shootout, where he was a go-to performer for the Blades. His deke fake and shooting to the opposite side was highly effective. The centreman demonstrates good strength on the puck and he uses his large frame well in battles for the puck along the boards.

Weaknesses: Despite Gillies excellent finishing ability in the shootout it does not carry over in normal play as he struggles to take advantage of his scoring chances. His 13 goals and 30 points in 65 games demonstrate that it is unlikely that he will ever be a scorer in the National Hockey League. Gillies is often praised for his strength but he does not possess a great shot and some observers have questioned his shooting technique. It is an area of his game that definately needs work. As a centre his faceoff skills have received mixed reviews amongst those that have watched him closely; some say they’re good while others say they’re just “ok.” Another weakness is Gillies tendency to almost be too aggressive, and while his “edge” is a strength it is also a weakness as he takes penalties particularly from hitting from behind. While Gillies likes to deliver the big hit, he is not a fighter.

Bottom Line: When the Wild decided to select Colton Gillies with the 16th Overall pick in 2007 it was drafting a fast, smooth skating, high-energy, physical player who possess great athleticism. He is a player who can help provide a team who has been criticized for being “soft” a level of physicality it sorely needs. There is little doubt his selection was due in large part to the Wild’s playoff experience against the Anaheim Ducks. In fact, it can be stated most of the league took notice and attempted to make modifications to add more toughness and grit to their rosters. Gillies is the sort of player that could be the fast, hard-hitting forechecker the Wild have not really had since Cam Stewart. Yet Gillies is considerably more physically gifted than the aforementioned Stewart (who was just 5′11″ compared to 6′3″ of Gillies). He will never be a big offensive producer for the Wild, but his physical tools might be almost as valuable. His big hits will give the Wild a dimension it never has really had. Wild enforcer Derek Boogaard has tried to be that sort of player, but his lack of speed limits his effectiveness. Colton Gillies has the speed to be a tremendous forechecker but like most prospects out of this year’s draft there are concerns in his game.

One other point of concern is that Gillies really has only played forward for four seasons; where previously he was a defenseman. Sound familliar? Brent Burns was in a similar situation when the Wild selected him 20th Overall in 2003. Ultimately Burns ended up permanently converting to a defenseman, could that be what we’re seeing here? Most Wild fans were annoyed by the forward / defenseman experiment with Burns, would we tolerate seeing something like that again? Minnesota has a fairly thin prospect pool for defenseman and is this a way it wishes to bolster that group? The team has tried to addess its lack of grit at forward through the draft, and now it probably has drafted its most physically dynamic player in franchise history. It would be a shame to see him not become a forward for the Wild, but only time will tell where he’ll play for the State of Hockey. Perhaps if his faceoff ability is indeed just “ok” it might be best to simply push him out to a wing.

Some Blades fans even believe he could get his shot with the Wild this season, and considering his skillset is rather unique to this team that might be true. However I think the chance of Gillies getting his NHL shot this soon is unlikely and most likely he’ll get another season in Saskatoon to hone his skills. This fall, Gillies will get the chance to demonstrate what he can do in the Canada-Russia series, which will prevent him from participating in the normal prospect tournament this summer. No matter what Gillies is an intiguing prospect who seems to possess lots of raw abilities and it will be interesting to see how he develops in the next few years.

*The State of Hockey News would like to acknowledge that Michael Kieluk and other members of the whlfans.ca message board helped contribute to this report.

BladeRunner
07-22-2007, 05:06 PM
hey i like the article.

what do you mean by this avatar thing mike?

it's been awhile since i have been on here, didn't come to this site since the blades didn't make playoffs, except for this article thing. and don't worry i didn't want my name on the article anyway, just thought i would say something.

GBG BLEED BLUE
07-22-2007, 05:39 PM
hey i like the article.

what do you mean by this avatar thing mike?

it's been awhile since i have been on here, didn't come to this site since the blades didn't make playoffs, except for this article thing. and don't worry i didn't want my name on the article anyway, just thought i would say something.
There are 5 Blades avatars in this thread:http://www.whlfans.ca/showthread.php?t=12700
You do know what an avatar is right?
If you want to use one,you can,and if you do not see a player,just PM me and I will see what I can do to make it possible. I think your current avatar is ok,but I just thought that you might like a player avatar.

BladeRunner
07-22-2007, 09:31 PM
o the little picture thing, ha ha lol, i thought that s what it was. k thanks for the avatar place.

MVNWriter23
08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
I aim to please. I am really hopeful about his chances to be a big contributor (physically) to the Wild someday. Most likely not this season, but hopefully in a few years.

MVNWriter23
02-06-2008, 11:49 AM
And the season has progressed a fair amount. What would be your assessment of Colton Gillies now? Has he improved, or is he the same? What parts of his game have shown improvement (if any)?

What is your assessment of Ondrej Fiala; over at Wild.com we've heard mixed reports about him. So what skills does he bring to the table?

Any information you would provide would be most helpful, thank you very much!

hobster
02-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Colton Gillies
For Colton i would say he has improved in a couple of area's deffinitly leadership role, as he has been named captain half way through the season with the trade of Justin McCrae to Spokane..... Gillies is a leader on the ice as you can clearly see on any given night. He has also improved on taking ifey penalty's, goal scoring he has been snake bitten all year his skating is very strong. The one thing is he might be starting too tucker out now with playing alot of hockey this year. Played for team Canada in the summer and the Blades of course, and Team Canad in the world Juniors wich he looked very solid at. All in all i would say he will be NHL ready by 20 years old.

Ondrei Fiala
When Ondrei First got here he was dinamite, playing on a line with Gillies and Durand. But something happened with him on the west coaste trip not sure what but he hasn't been the same since. Injuries ave plagged him a bit he makes very smart plays when on the PP and s very responsible when back checking, a year or 2 in the AHL might suite him well .

I hope this has helped you out i might write more later.

tito34
02-06-2008, 05:38 PM
If your wondering what type of player Gilles will be when he makes the NHL. I see him as an Ethan Moreau type player. Good Energy player, physical, leader, with a little offensive upside. He probably will score about 15 goals a year. I don't see him even scoring more than 20.

hobster
02-06-2008, 06:21 PM
Thats a great discription Ethan Moreau i would agree with that forsure.

MVNWriter23
02-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks so much for the information. It is far more telling than the stats can be sometimes. Its good to hear Gillies has rid himself of some of the iffy plays; because that would land him in Lemaire's dog house pretty quick. As far as Fiala goes; interesting. We had a Canadian-based Wild fan say Fiala is lazy, would you agree with that?

hobster
02-08-2008, 12:40 PM
Thing with Fiala is he has been playing through a ankle injury for some time now and hasn't been too bad. I would say he has been looking his best on the pp forsure right now. They have him on a line with Gillies and 16 year old Dziurzynski. Thing with Fiala is he is very responsiable in back checking, and if he were healthy he would be flying out there.

MVNWriter23
02-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Will like to hear that he's backchecking well. That will earn him some kudos with those coaches. Is it a high ankle sprain?

GBG BLEED BLUE
02-10-2008, 09:10 PM
I do not remember if Fiala's injury was a high ankle sprain or not,but I would say that he does tend(from what I have seen of him) float a bit and coast sometimes and maybe not move his legs as much as he should,but with the proper training and coaching that can be corrected.

In the games this past weekend I thought Colton Gillies showed that he does have offensive potential,but I still think he is more of a set up type of player,but that too can be changed if need be.

MVNWriter23
02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
That is a HUGE red flag for me, and Wild coaches as well. Roman Voloshenko had that same issue, and he never grew out of it and went back to Russia; he was a 2nd round pick (just like Fiala). I really think floating is a difficult habit to break simply by coaching; I really think its a mentality a player has. They either get their nose dirty and battle for the puck along the boards or they float. The fact you say he floats does not bode well; especially since he's an overager.