PDA

View Full Version : Cody Almond...A request for information

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Greetings. Let me introduce myself. My name is Derek Felska and I write for a website called Most Valuable Network (MVN). I cover the Minnesota Wild and I was wondering what you could tell me about Cody Almond. Our head scout, Tommy Thompson has said Almond is his "pet project" and that intrigues me about what this kid could possibly bring to the table. I could read the little paragraphs places like McKeen's and The Hockey News kick out, but I want a 100% honest assessment from the fans. I think fans are keen observers who have little reason to glorify a player the way a paid scout does. I have written articles about other Wild prospects using fan information. Here is an example...

James Sheppard Article (http://mvn.com/nhl-wild/2007/03/30/wild-prospect-preview-james-sheppard/)

The article is about another Wild 1st rounder, James Sheppard - and virtually all of the information I got from Cape Breton fans. I am not after learning dirt on Cody Almond or writing a scathing editorial; I just want the most in-depth analysis of this guy from those who watch him a lot (you guys / gals).

For anyone who gives me information I am more than willing to cite you as a contributing source, afterall its YOUR information. So...what would I like to know?

Strengths: What are the best parts of Almond's game? What does he do well on a consistent basis?

Weaknesses: What are his weakest parts of Almond's game? What does he struggle with?

Work Ethic: I know you may not be privy to this; but what is he like at practices? Does he work his tail off at practices? Is his work ethic consistent during games? Does he work as hard in the offensive end as he does back in the defensive end?

Character & Leadership: What would you say Almond's attitude is like? Is he a team player? Is a he a player exudes leadership on & off the ice?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

(By the way) the Tri-City Logo is because the Wild have drafted more from the Americans than any other in the WHL.

Rockets1231
07-26-2007, 01:03 AM
From what I've seen from Almond is that he's a good 3rd or 4th line player. He plays with heart. He's not going to score 50 goals a season, but he's not a defensive liability either. He's a grinder, he works hard night in and night out. He gives it his all whether you're up 5-2 or down 7-1, and trust me the Rockets were at both ends of the spectrum this year. His greatest asset is his heart, he doesn't know what the word quit means. His biggest weakness I'd have to say is his lack of scoring touch. There's been times when you think its a good chance for a goal and he comes up short. All in all though Almond is a good young player, that definately has the potiental to be an NHL 4th liner. He's a guy that 9 times out of 10 will win a battle along the boards.

If you need to know anything else, I can easily find it out for you. My friend's dad is the Club Physician for the Rockets, so he'd know how Cody is off the ice, in the dressing room, etc. Just gimme a shout.

MVNWriter23
08-07-2007, 04:25 PM
And to be honest that is definately a commodity the Wild need. I'd love to hear anything that your Doctor friend can provide about Cody's personality. As Tommy Thompson said; he really sees this kid as a personal project so he obviously feels he could be a player who has a chance to maybe develop into a serviceable player. Thanks a ton for this information!

Rockets1231
08-08-2007, 05:04 PM
I'll see what I can do. I wouldn't mind seeing the article either after it's complete.

MVNWriter23
08-13-2007, 01:12 PM
I will definately post it once it is finished. If you want your name mentioned as a source in the article I'd gladly include it. Thanks so much for your help!

Rockets1231
08-14-2007, 12:47 AM
Sure you can included me as a source if you want. Anything you need to know about me?

MVNWriter23
08-14-2007, 12:22 PM
your name...and any more information you can provide on Almond's game.

Rockets1231
08-14-2007, 11:40 PM
name's Nathan Lingel, and I'll see what I can do about some more info. gimme a couple days.

MVNWriter23
08-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Thanks for all your help Nathan...I'll definately site your name in the article.

MVNWriter23
09-25-2007, 12:39 PM
Got any more information for me on Cody Almond?

Rockets1231
09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
Well, I talked to that friend of mine and he said pretty much the same thing. His off-ice personality is much the same as on-ice. He's an approachable guy who's always looking to improve his game. He's pretty quiet in the dressing room, but he leads by example, so he doesn't have to say much. That's about all I can tell you about him, I guess in one word to sum it up hardworker. Hope this helps you write your article and gives the fans in Minny a better view of what he brings. Personally I'd have rather seen Cody in an Avs jersey with Cumiskey heh.

Sorry for the late reply, my friend is sometimes a hard guy to get ahold of and when I did talk to him I forgot to ask.

MVNWriter23
09-26-2007, 12:22 PM
Thanks for all the information that you've collected. As I said...when I finally compose it; I'll post it here. Thanks again!

Rockets1231
09-26-2007, 10:44 PM
It was no trouble at all

MVNWriter23
10-02-2007, 07:39 AM
please post it here, and I'll try to include it.

MVNWriter23
01-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Any Kelowna fans wish to talk about how Cody has been playing so far this season? Sounds like he's been fairly effective chipping in a point per game, not to mention a bit fiesty too. I'd love to hear your thoughts, and I can tell you down in Minnesota some Wild fans are starting to really get excited by the #'s they're seeing from this kid.