PDA

View Full Version : Carson McMillan...a request for information

MVNWriter23
07-14-2007, 03:04 PM
Greetings. Let me introduce myself. My name is Derek Felska and I write for a website called Most Valuable Network (MVN). I cover the Minnesota Wild and I was wondering what you could tell me about Carson McMillan. I could read the little paragraphs places like McKeen's and The Hockey News kick out, but I want a 100% honest assessment from the fans. I think fans are keen observers who have little reason to glorify a player the way a paid scout does. I have written articles about other Wild prospects using fan information. Here is an example...

James Sheppard article (http://mvn.com/nhl-wild/2007/03/30/wild-prospect-preview-james-sheppard/)

The article is about another Wild 1st rounder, James Sheppard - and virtually all of the information I got from Cape Breton fans. I am not after learning dirt on Carson McMillan or writing a scathing editorial; I just want the most in-depth analysis of this guy from those who watch him a lot (you guys / gals).

For anyone who gives me information I am more than willing to cite you as a contributing source, afterall its YOUR information. So...what would I like to know?

Strengths: What are the best parts of McMillan's game? What does he do well on a consistent basis?

Weaknesses: What are his weakest parts of McMillan's game? What does he struggle with?

Work Ethic: I know you may not be privy to this; but what is he like at practices? Does he work his tail off at practices? Is his work ethic consistent during games? Does he work as hard in the offensive end as he does back in the defensive end?

Character & Leadership: What would you say McMillan's attitude is like? Is he a team player? Is a he a player exudes leadership on & off the ice?

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton!

(By the way) the Tri-City Logo is because the Wild have drafted more from the Americans than any other in the WHL.

07-25-2007, 08:18 PM
inconsistent. not really aggressive at all.

MVNWriter23
08-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Apart from inconsistancy. What does he bring to the table when his game is on?

iceice
08-09-2007, 08:10 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgary/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=4ddd90dc-c2e5-42ca-af88-f0450e7a2073&k=39833

MVNWriter23
08-11-2007, 01:23 PM
We have two very different claims thus far. Anyone wish to give their own (and hopefully more detailed) assessment of Carson McMillan?

MVNWriter23
08-11-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks alot for it!

Brandonite
08-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Hes a whiner!! I have never liked him much to be honest, if something doesnt go his way he cries about it! I was VERY shocked when I heard he got drafted! I have never seen anything big outta him other than hes a suck and whines all the time!!

iceice
08-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Wow! Where is this guy coming from? Too bad people like that don't understand what you are looking for.

Brandonite
08-26-2007, 08:43 AM
No I just dont like babies on the ice! He tried to step up to Theran Yeo in the playoffs last year and Theran had his wrist in a cast! And Yeo was still gonna scrap him and then McMillan ran off! Say what you want, but the kid is a suck!!

iceice
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
So Brandonite...you know mcmillan personally? Here in Calgary he is well respected both off and on the ice.

Brandonite
09-03-2007, 09:26 PM
So Brandonite...you know mcmillan personally? Here in Calgary he is well respected both off and on the ice.

Yes I do know him personally, and have for many years! Dont ever talk to him anymore but thats the way I always remembered him! Hopefully hes not like that anymore, but that was my intake on him! Im not ripping the guy, I dont speak with him anymore, from what I hear hes a repected guy, I was just giving my open opinion about him. Im happy for the guy so dont get me wrong...

MVNWriter23
09-13-2007, 08:38 AM
Your not ripping the guy...but you say he's a "whiner" and a "suck"? I know I'm an American, but what about his game. You're talking lots and lots about his character and personality and while those are important things what can you tell me about his game per se?

I dunno Brandonite; you seem a bit irrational...but hey...I'm not ripping you either!

Brandonite
09-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Your not ripping the guy...but you say he's a "whiner" and a "suck"? I know I'm an American, but what about his game. You're talking lots and lots about his character and personality and while those are important things what can you tell me about his game per se?

I dunno Brandonite; you seem a bit irrational...but hey...I'm not ripping you either!

From what I see on the ice from McMillan is a guy who works hard every shift...hes not going to score 20 or 30 goals a season but he will help shut down other teams top guns. He is not an all-star type player but shows his hard work most of the time! As far as the "whining" goes, he seems to whine alot to the refs when things dont go his way and doesnt display the true leadership abilities that other guys on the team have. Ryan White is a true leader on the ice, I dont see McMillan as a true leader but I do only see them twice a year besides playoffs...

MVNWriter23
09-19-2007, 08:52 PM
So apart from this ONE fight, what other reason do you have for calling Carson McMillan a "suck". Although its obvious that objectivity would be lost on you Brandonite.

Brandonite
09-19-2007, 09:30 PM
So apart from this ONE fight, what other reason do you have for calling Carson McMillan a "suck". Although its obvious that objectivity would be lost on you Brandonite.

I've given you my in-put on the guy a few times now and you havent liked what I said and this isn't going anywhere!! I've given you my opinion about 3x now and you weren't thrilled about it neither time and I respect it but there is nothing more for me to say about Carson McMillan!! You need to get someone elses in-put on him because no matter what I say, you wont agree with!!

armypower
09-25-2007, 11:03 AM
Carson Mcmillan is a good defensive player with some potential to be a scorer, I think next year will tell if he has any offensive upside..Not afraid to get his nose dirty either,I wasn't surprised Minnesota drafted him, he is a typical Jacques Lemaire player

MVNWriter23
09-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I've given you my in-put on the guy a few times now and you havent liked what I said and this isn't going anywhere!! I've given you my opinion about 3x now and you weren't thrilled about it neither time and I respect it but there is nothing more for me to say about Carson McMillan!! You need to get someone elses in-put on him because no matter what I say, you wont agree with!!

But you just admitted you see him 2 times a year, which is hardly enough to really evaluate someone, and basically you've kept ranting about his personality when it seems rather clear you've seen very little of him. I am not saying you don't have a right to your opinion, but you're making some pretty big judgements based on a very limited amount of viewing of what this kid can / can't do.

Carson Mcmillan is a good defensive player with some potential to be a scorer, I think next year will tell if he has any offensive upside..Not afraid to get his nose dirty either,I wasn't surprised Minnesota drafted him, he is a typical Jacques Lemaire player

This gives me something to work with. Thanks for the information. How would you rate his stickhandling? His hands? Or his hockey sense?

armypower
09-25-2007, 05:50 PM
I would say a C,he needs work in all areas,he's a great penalty killer,if I could compare him to any player it would be Jared Smithson

Hitmen1
09-27-2007, 11:48 PM
Here is an article on McMillan from hitmenhockey.com

Carson McMillan (http://www.hitmenhockey.com/cgi-bin/news/comments.cgi?type=newsroom&file_num=0000001112)

Brandonite
09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
McMillan got the tar kicked out of him by a 16 year old rookie who was fighting for the first time in Junior!! Atta boy Brayden Schenn!! haha

iceice
10-01-2007, 04:59 PM
Obviously Brandonite has some sort of beef with McMillan and it is too bad that he likes to bash players including his own Brandon Wheat King players.
The writer has obviously stated he is looking for "sensible" hockey opinions and Brandonite must have either got cut from a team or just likes running people down. Funny he continues to rip apart a kid from his own hometown that has done well for himself through plain old hard work. Sad really isn't it?
Anyhow regarding the fight with Schenn...McMillan was sticking up for his brandon team mate & line mate, Ryan White and after watching the webcast it was quite obvious there wasn't really a fight per say as the players fell. McMillan then goes to Moosejaw the next night and gets the assist on Sonne's overtime goal and then the following (Sunday) night in Regina picks up the only star of the game in Regina for the Calgary Hitmen. The kid gets better every game.
We're glad to have him in Calgary. Comes to play every night. Most articles that are written about him here in Calgary refer to him as a workhorse.
Time for Brandonite to get over whatever is bugging him and lose the bitterness buddy!

MVNWriter23
10-02-2007, 07:33 AM
I would say a C,he needs work in all areas,he's a great penalty killer,if I could compare him to any player it would be Jared Smithson

Ah, very nice. I've seen Jerred Smithson play quite a bit for the Milwaukee Admirals and the Nashville Predators, and that really helps me understand what his game is like. How would you say he is, checking-wise...an average hitter, or a guy who loves to dish out the bone rattlin' hits? How would you rate his skating?

Obviously Brandonite has some sort of beef with McMillan and it is too bad that he likes to bash players including his own Brandon Wheat King players.

Precisely what I was thinking. I too think he needs to get over it. Needless to say I am going to completely disregard what Brandonite has to say. Thanks for the true explanation as to what happened during this latest "frakas" with McMillan. Its also good to hear he's improving. Also, the Hitmen article was very good as well. Thanks!

peatfan
10-02-2007, 07:57 AM
McMillan has improved quite a bit since he joined the team. He can play both wing and even sometimes in the middle but seems most comfortable on the right side. Was part of a good third line at the end of last year beside Kalinski & Rowinski a couple of rookies. Played a lot against the opposition #1 line and did a good job of shutting them down. His strength is checking and that is his ticket if he is to make the NHL. As far as goal scoring is concern I think 30 goals is max this year in the WHL and if he makes it to the big leagues he would top of at 10 goals but that would be a #3 or #4 line or even the #13 forward. Mac isn't one who gives the big body check but more in the line of bumping them out of the play. Fighting isn't a strong suit of his but he doesn't back down and isn't shy of the heavy hitting. Carson was part of our second unit of the PK last year and will be on the #1 PK with Sonne this year.
He played his minor hockey in Brandon with Ryan White and when they did end up on the same line they did have that chemistry. Possible new combo is those two with newcomer Bortis who has played with Whitey in the under-17 a couple years back very succesfully.
Another tidbit about Carson is he is a fantastice baseball player who was considered one of the best under17 players in Manitoba. In fact he was playing in the Men's league along with his age group at that time. He was more inclined to b'ball until he saw how Whitey enjoyed the Hitmen so much that he decieded to give hockey his fulltime energy.
I wouldn't be surprised to see him back next year as an overager where he would be on the top line, gain more confidence on the offense and get close to the 50 goal level along with solid defensive play. But that is next year speculations and it's tough enough to concnetrate on this year's specs.
And I also agree that this Brandonite has some personel vendetta against McMillan. Probably lost a g/f to him. I notice he does the same on other team's sites. Oh well whatever makes a guy happy & content with themselves. I guess.
nhl Boogaard'd :clap: nhl Boogaard'd yeehoo nhl Boogaard'd :burningma

Brandonite
10-02-2007, 04:18 PM
you guys can say what you want about my opinion but it still hasnt changed...i still think hes a whiner and a suck! I've known him for years and have always thought that and it has not changed! Keep er comin....haha

Hitmen1
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
I think we've all given our opinions of Carson.