PDA

View Full Version : Bronco Golf Tourny

Scout
07-15-2007, 07:32 AM
Broncos and Wellington West held their third annual golf tourny on Friday with a sell out of 144 golfers and perfect weather. Had 25 alumni participate who had a great time. Some former players who participated were Ian White and Ben Ondrus, Jeremy Rondeau, James Hiebert, Nathan Smith, Andy Schneider and from way back Dave " Tiger " Williams. Guys all look the same , even Tiger. Had a good talk with Dave and he really enjoyed himself. I think this was his first Tourny here. He was out at his cabin at Beaver Flats which he told me he bought way back in 1974 when he signed his first pro contract. Tiger will never change. Still uses the language without caring who is around. One story that came out at the table was Tiger was out on his boat and saw a group of hutterites on shore. He pulled his boat up and asked if they wanted to go for a boat ride and they did. So in they got and off they went in his boat. I'm sure the hutterites didn't know who he was from a hole in the ground and figured he was just a nice guy offering a ride. His team came second in the golf flight and won a Bronco golf shirt. Tiger still bleeds for the Broncos and when they gave him his shirt he immediatly put it on. Great time and a great success.

Scout

double big gulp
07-15-2007, 11:03 PM
who won the whole thing and who were all the alumni?

Scout
07-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I can't remember who won the whole thing but some of the alumni that returned for the tourny were: Darren and Trevor Kruger, Gord Hahn, Andy Schneider, Trent McCleary, Ashley Buckberger, James Hiebert, Ian White, Ben Ondrus, Tyler Redenbach, Jeff Knight, Todd Hornung, John Dahl, Nathan Smith, Scott Henkelmen, Kyle McIntyre, Jeremy Rondeau, Jeff Kirwin, Bob Wilkie, Pat Nogier and Dave "Tiger" Williams.

Scout

Scout
07-22-2007, 07:41 AM
Courtesy Southwest Booster:

Broncos alumni turn out for Golf Classic
The Wellington West Capital Bronco Golf Classic was once again a success last Friday at the Elmwood Golf Club.

For the third straight year the event sold out the 144 spots and featured a number of former Broncos from numerous Bronco eras.

Since the Patenaude Schafer Group with Wellington West Capital revived the tournament in 2005, they have raised over $30,000 for the hockey club and given out significant prizes to participants.

One of the 25 alumni returning to Swift Current for the first time in many years was defenseman Bob Wilkie who played in Swift Current from 1986-89.

Wilkie, who tallied over a point a game in two of his three full seasons with the Broncos, has nothing but good memories of Swift Current.

"They were great times in a great community, and great hockey, it was nothing but fun."

Wilkie has won Air Canada, Memorial, Calder and Turner Cups and was on the first Calgary midget team to win the prestigious Mac's Invitational Tournament.

Wilkie, who dedicated his midget team's performance at the Mac in December to the memory of his four teammates killed in the 1987 bus crash, said it was a natural tribute.

"The 20 year anniversary of the crash was something that will always be a part of my life and I wanted to honor those guys and what we had gone through and figured that was a good way to do it."

For Wilkie hockey is still a way of life.

"I coach a major midget team so that takes a lot of time, and then I run a hockey pro shop. I always knew I was a hockey player and I guess i am going to be one for a long time."

Golfing with Wilkie was friend and teammate Pat Nogier who was a goaltender on the 1986-87 Bronco squad. Nogier concedes that his memories of Swift Current are still fresh in his mind.

"They are strong, I mean it is a chapter of life that you just do not overlook. Other memories go by but that one seems to stick for a number of different reasons."

"I am working in Saskatoon with a great family. I am a Sergeant with the City Police looking after the Criminal Investigation Division so it is all good, life is great," said Nogier

Nogier's appearance at the event was a surprise even to himself. A call from an old friend brought him back to the city where he played 42 Major Junior Hockey Games.

"None other then my good friend Bob Wilkie who I have not talked to for 15-18 years. He gave me a call out of the blue and said let's go golf and rehash some old memories and I thought it was an awesome idea."