PDA

View Full Version : toews to und

wango tango
07-17-2007, 11:36 AM
from the winnipeg sun

Less than two months after bidding farewell to Jonathan Toews, the University of North Dakota has landed his kid brother.

BROKEN WRIST

David Toews of Winnipeg has given UND a verbal commitment to play for the Fighting Sioux beginning in 2008. The 5-foot-11, 185-pound forward led Shattuck-St. Mary's prep team in scoring last season as a junior, despite playing half of the season with a broken wrist.

"I called coach (Dave) Hakstol and told him that this is what I want," the younger Toews said in a story yesterday in the Bismarck Tribune. "There's no reason to wait. I'm 100% committed to coming here. I've always loved everything about North Dakota. Jon had a great experience and I'm really excited to play there."

Triton
07-17-2007, 01:25 PM
Wow, nobody really wants to play in Brandon. How come?

Bully73
07-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Wow, nobody really wants to play in Brandon. How come?

This has nothing to do with not wanting to play in Brandon. Everybody in the WHL knew that he was likely going to follow in his brother's footsteps and go the college route, thus the reason he was a 5th or 6th round draft pick. Kelly took a gamble with a mid round pick that with being close to their home town, he might change his mind and go the Dub route.

At least it didn't cost us a first overall pick like Jonathan with Tri-Cities.

Triton
07-17-2007, 04:21 PM
This has nothing to do with not wanting to play in Brandon. Everybody in the WHL knew that he was likely going to follow in his brother's footsteps and go the college route, thus the reason he was a 5th or 6th round draft pick. Kelly took a gamble with a mid round pick that with being close to their home town, he might change his mind and go the Dub route.

At least it didn't cost us a first overall pick like Jonathan with Tri-Cities.

The Thomas Vanek thing, the Schenn deal, the Toews now..

zinger
07-18-2007, 06:09 AM
The Thomas Vanek thing, the Schenn deal, the Toews now..

and the Aaron Lewadniuk trade, I wonder if he is still set on the NCAA?

Bully73
07-18-2007, 08:12 PM
and the Aaron Lewadniuk trade, I wonder if he is still set on the NCAA?

There was a story in the local paper about a week ago on Aaron. It indicated that he is torn right now and is not sure whether he is going to stay with his college commitment or come to Brandon. He was to meet with Kelly while he was in town for a summer hockey tournament.