PDA

View Full Version : Former Blade Joe Barnes.....

saskdevil
07-17-2007, 06:44 PM
Was traded today to The Rangers from Carolina .......
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app?articleid=334619&page=NewsPage&service=page
(It's at the end of the article)

Shortys
07-18-2007, 08:49 AM
From the Star Phoenix.

Broadway's bright lights beckon Barnes
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2007
Former Saskatoon Blades centre Joe Barnes is headed to Broadway.

The New York Rangers acquired his rights Tuesday as part of a deal that sees centre Matt Cullen return to the Carolina Hurricanes. The Rangers also landed defenceman Andrew Hutchinson and Carolina's third-round pick in 2008.

"It's a surprise," Barnes said Tuesday afternoon from Winnipeg. "I picked up my girlfriend from the airport and I got a phone call at 9 a.m. from (Carolina general manager Jim) Rutherford."

Barnes, 21, was drafted 64th overall by Carolina in 2005. He spent his first professional season with the AHL's Albany River Rats, but a serious concussion limited him to 15 games. The 6-foot-3 centre last played Dec. 9.

"After the big injury, I haven't done a whole bunch and I didn't think I was going to be traded, but it's part of the game and I'm happy to go to New York," said Barnes. "It's funny because New York was a team that was really interested in me before the draft when I was 18. Carolina hadn't talked to me, but they took me two picks before the Rangers (were scheduled to pick)."

While Barnes relishes a fresh opportunity with a new organization, he's also disappointed that he won't be going to training camp with his former Saskatoon teammate, Justin McCrae. The Hurricanes selected McCrae in the fourth round of last month's NHL draft and Barnes was one of the first people to phone and offer congratulations.

"I was all pumped," said Barnes, "but then this happens (Tuesday) so I just sent him a message saying, 'Too good to be true, I guess.' "

In his 15-game stint with Albany, Barnes registered two goals and an assist, plus 19 penalty minutes. He stalled his comeback bid with about six weeks left in the AHL season.

"I was training very hard and trying to get back, but headaches kept coming. (The Hurricanes) said that I had a bright future, so they told me not to push it and just to rest. I didn't feel any pressure from them, so the trade was a surprise and I guess they wanted Cullen back in Carolina."

Cullen was a key member of the Carolina team that won the Stanley Cup in 2006. He registered 18 points in 25 playoff games and then signed a four-year, $11.5 million contract with the Rangers.

BLADE BITS: The Atlanta Thrashers have re-signed former Blades D Garnet Exelby to a multi-year contract. Terms were not released Tuesday. The 25-year-old defenceman was a restricted free agent