PDA

View Full Version : Edmonton Oil Kings Add to their Bench

ChilliwackFan
07-18-2007, 04:06 PM
Edmonton Oil Kings Add to their Bench
Created: Jul 18, 2007
The Edmonton Oil Kings announced today the hiring of Sherwood Park native Rocky Thompson as the Assistant Coach of Edmonton’s new Western Hockey League franchise.

Rocky Thompson began his Western Hockey League career in 1993 with the Medicine Hat Tigers before being drafted by the Calgary Flames in 1995 (3rd Round, 72nd overall). Rocky played a handful of games with the Flames before being traded to the Florida Panthers in 2000. Over the course of his career, Rocky played 25 games in the National Hockey League, and 566 in the American Hockey League. Local hockey fans will remember Rocky as the colorful Assistant Captain of the Edmonton Road Runners. Rocky wrapped up his AHL career with the Peoria Rivermen at the end of the 2006/07 season.

“Rocky is a significant addition to our hockey staff,” said Bob Green, General Manager of the Edmonton Oil Kings. “Steve Pleau and I wanted an Assistant Coach who could work well with younger players, and relate to them. We feel that Rocky’s background and experiences as a player at the pro ranks and in the Western League will be very beneficial to our team.”

“I am very excited to be joining the Oil Kings organization. The Edmonton area is home for my family and I, and the year I spent playing here with the Edmonton Road Runners was one of the most enjoyable of my career”, said Rocky Thompson, Assistant Coach of the Edmonton Oil Kings. “I am very grateful to Steve Pleau and Bob Green for providing me with this great opportunity”.

For more information on Rocky Thompson, please contact Stephen Slawuta, Marketing Supervisor, at (780) 409-3703.