PDA

View Full Version : Harding Generous

Bran
07-19-2007, 01:54 PM
From ReginaPats.com

Harding generous

Matthew Barton, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, July 19, 2007

Josh Harding's sister, Stephanie Le Bruno, believes she has two angels watching over her -- one on her shoulder and another on the ice.

Regina's Le Bruno was diagnosed with breast cancer in November while Harding was goaltending for the NHL's Minnesota Wild. He wasted little time in organizing a campaign to raise money for breast cancer research. He painted pink ribbons on his helmet and set up the Web site www.fundthefight.com.

On Wednesday, Harding announced his donation of $23,412 to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

"I wanted to show my sister how much she means to all of us," said Harding, "We're close and we'd do anything for one another."

Le Bruno, 26, said the diagnosis came as a surprise. She said it was hard to deal with but her family came together to support her.

"It was a tough day," said Le Bruno, "I went to the hospital by myself. After I found out I called my mom and dad and they came (to the hospital)."

As soon as the 23-year-old goalie found out his sister had cancer he and his father Tim knew they had to do something big.

"The personality (Josh) has ... I knew he was going to show his support," said Le Bruno, "I just didn't expect it to get this big."

Teammates began donating autographed equipment for an online auction. The pink-ribboned helmet sold for $3,500. A stick used by Wayne Gretzky sold for approximately $700. Harding's former teams, the AHL's Houston Aero's and the WHL's Regina Pats, began raising money immediately. Le Bruno said she received e-mails and support from the community. Breast cancer survivors also contacted her to help guide her through the illness.

Harding called her every day from the road, but he wouldn't mention cancer.

"I didn't talk about it," said Harding, "I avoided it. There were too many people to talk to her about it. We'd talk something else,"

His sister agreed.

"He knows exactly what to say," said Le Bruno, "When I was feeling down he'd pick me up. We even have a song."

Rascal Flatts' "Me and My Gang" seemed to play when Le Bruno needed it most. She endured three surgeries to treat the cancer. The song would play on the radio every time she was going to be operated on.

"It was really weird how the song would always come on," said Le Bruno, "Even though he couldn't be there I knew Josh was thinking about me at that moment."

The surgeries were successful and Le Bruno is moving on from the ordeal. Now, she goes for yearly check-ups to make sure the cancer hasn't returned.

Recently becoming pregnant, she feels lucky to beat cancer and have a fresh start.

"It's exciting to go to the doctor now," said Le Bruno, "It feels like I can move on to a new phase in my life."

Uncle Josh will be there to support his sister and spoil the new baby.

"People just see Josh the hockey personality but now they can see the Josh we live with," said Le Bruno, "He doesn't forget where he's from, or his family. It's hard to explain, to us, he's just Josh."

Harding's crusade against cancer has inspired the Pats to launch the Saves for the Cure Campaign. Next year, the Pats and individual sponsors will each donate $1 for every save and $25 per shut-out. Proceeds will go towards Harding's Fund the Fight campaign, with a goal of raising $20,000.