PDA

View Full Version : Wudrick Hopes To Represent Canada

Scout
08-04-2007, 08:44 AM
Last updated at 10:02 AM on 03/08/07

Wudrick hoping to represent Canada at Under 18 tourney
STEVEN MAH
The Southwest Booster

Swift Current Broncos 17-year-old forward Geordie Wudrick is set to participate in the Team Canada U-18 selection camp in Calgary from August 4th-9th.
The 6’3’’ 200 lb Wudrick, who posted 13 goals and 11 assists in 67 games with the Broncos last season as a 16-year-old, will be one of 40 players in camp.
Wudrick is hoping that the camp is just the beginning.
“Obviously I want to go there and have a good showing and my goal going in is to make that team and be a contributing factor at the tournament in the Czech Republic.”
Wudrick will be competing for one of 22 spots on Team Canada, which will compete at the U18 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka (formerly the Junior World Cup), from August 14th-18th in the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Canada has won the tournament the past three years.
Dave Barr (Guelph, OHL) will be head coach of Canada’s National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team and will be joined behind the bench by assistant coaches Guy Boucher (Drummondville, QMJHL) and Jacques Beaulieu (Saint John, QMJHL).
“They are all coaches from out East and they have never seen me play. I just have to go there and have a good first impression in the first meetings with the coaches and obviously in the first ice times I have to be the best guy on the ice every time in practice and bear down on my shots and make the plays. Especially in the scrimmages is where it counts big time, so I have to be an all around player who can play offense and defense and show that I can fill any kind of role that they want me to play on the team. Whether it is, an offensive role or a defensive role, killing penalties, or blocking shots, just doing whatever they want me to do,” said Wudrick.
Wudrick admitted that he has been training hard all summer for this opportunity.
“I have been on the ice quite a bit lately and been training here in Vancouver at a place called Groundwork Athletics. I have been on the ice with an ex-NHLer, Ray Ferraro, for a couple of weeks, so he was giving me lots of pointers. Last week I was on the ice with a couple NHL guys, Jeff Tambellini with the Islanders, Shaone Morrison with the Capitals, and a bunch of AHL guys so it has been pretty great to play nice high-pace hockey to get ready and get my timing all ready to go. I feel in top shape right now and ready to go for the season.
As for when Bronco fans can expect to see Wudrick back in Swift Current for his National Hockey League draft eligible season, Wudrick hopes to be back after a long tournament run in the Czech. Republic with Team Canada.

Toswammi
08-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I hope for his sake he makes the team. This is a kid that didnt look out of place last year, imo he looked more like an 18 yr old than a 16 yr old rookie most of the time. Heck he will probably score 20 for us this year.

Flathead
08-06-2007, 06:50 PM
I agree that looked a lot more like an 18 year old than a 16. He's got good size, skates well, shoots well and plays both ends of the rink. IMO the only thing he has going against him is that not one of the three coaches is from the west. he should make the team though. Best of luck Wudrick!!