PDA

View Full Version : Teubert & Eberle Named To National Men's Under-18 Team

nivek_wahs
08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1010

TEUBERT & EBERLE NAMED TO NATIONAL MEN’S UNDER-18 TEAM

This morning Hockey Canada announced that Regina Pats defenceman, Colten Teubert and forward Jordan Eberle have been named to Canada’s National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team at the 2007 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka, which will be held in the Czech Republic and Slovakia from August 14-18.

The 22 man roster made up of players born in 1990 or later, were selected
out of 40 who competed at the National Men’s Summer Under-18 Team selection camp, which ran August 4-8 in Calgary. Among the final cuts was Regina Pats Goaltender Jeff Bosch.

Six of the twenty-two players named to the team this morning are from the Western Hockey League.

"We are excited for both kids, that they will have the opportunity to represent their country at this prestigious event. We have had many of our players participate with the national team program in the past and it does nothing but make them better players through the experiences that they will have" commented Pats General Manager Brent Parker.

Fight Guy
08-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Excellent! Nice to see Pats being recognized on the national level again. I keep getting more and more excited for this season!

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Definitely not a surprise, as both players are already key parts of the pats team, and have bright futures ahead of them in hockey. I think Bosch would have made the team if he had more experience at a higher level of play, but thats the way it goes. Next season is more important anyways.

I guess I will have to live with the fact that ONLY 2 pats made the Team Canada's under 18 team....

Anyways, it should be interesting to see how they perform with the best of the best in their age group in canada(excluding Tavares, of course), while competing against the best players coming from the top hockey nations in the world.

I'm hoping we get a few games televised, but I doubt it is likely that will happen.

Fight Guy
08-08-2007, 10:53 PM
I think, but not sure, we will get the medal games...late at night...lol.

nivek_wahs
08-09-2007, 03:51 PM
I think it's crazy (in a good way) that 2 of the 6 players representing the WHL are Pats. I wish them both the best.

nivek_wahs
08-10-2007, 08:19 AM
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=19b47dd4-1fb5-4a1e-9e24-944354fe6bb1

Calgary pair boosts Canada's chances
Eberle, King heading to Eastern Europe

Allen Cameron, Calgary Herald
Published: Friday, August 10, 2007

When Dave Barr and his coaching staff started concocting Team Canada line combinations for the Ivan Hlinka Memorial under-18 tournament, Jordan Eberle of the Regina Pats and Steven Stamkos of the Ontario league's Sarnia Sting seemed like a dandy combination.

Eberle, the former Calgary Buffalo midget star, clicked almost immediately with Stamkos -- a pleasant surprise, perhaps, to the coaches, but not so much to Eberle.

"We have a little bit of history together," admitted the smiling Calgarian following Thursday morning's Team Canada practice at Father Bauer Arena; the team was scheduled to leave Thursday night on a flight to Europe in advance of next Tuesday's tourney opener against Sweden in Hodonin, Czech Republic.

"We played on a line together in peewee for a pickup team in Boston, and we did pretty well. And all three of us (including linemate James Wright of the Vancouver Giants) put up some pretty good points with our CHL teams, and, together, I think we should be a pretty good line."

That slick trio -- centred by team captain Stamkos -- is expected to lead offensively at the eight-team showcase for most of the world's top U-18 prospects, the majority of whom are draft-eligible next June.

The five-foot-nine, 170-pound Eberle was one of two Calgarians -- Kootenay Ice winger Kevin King is the other -- to crack the 22-man roster for the tourney, which is being co-hosted by the Czech Republic and Slovakia; Canada has round-robin assignments against Switzerland on Wednesday and the Czechs on Thursday.

Eberle is coming off a rookie campaign in which he produced 28 goals and 55 points in 66 games, while King, six feet, 185 pounds, tallied five goals and 14 points in 65 outings with the Ice.

"I feel I can play a power forward role and make the first good pass, and bang some bodies around," said King. "I'll try to bring some energy to the team and stay upbeat."

It's easier for King to feel upbeat after a couple of tense days earlier in the week wondering who'd make the cut to travel to Europe.

"I think I only got an hour and a half or two hours of sleep, maybe," said King, referring to the night before Wednesday morning's cuts. "It's a huge weight lifted off your shoulders. It kind of seems surreal at first; I didn't quite believe it until the team got together (Wednesday morning). And then you get on the ice as a team, and you see all the guys, it hits you.

"This process started three years ago when I was trying out for South Calgary (for the Alberta Cup) and now I have the chance to represent Canada; it's just unbelievable."

The Canadians will be gunning for a fourth straight title at a tournament that now resides on the must-attend list for NHL scouts.

"Even at this camp -- you look in the stands and there are a lot of scouts and agents sitting there. So it's a good showcase for everybody," said Eberle. "But you can't think too much about that; we just have to do what we can over there."

"It's always going to be on your mind, but it can't be the No. 1 focus," added King. "Your first focus has to be on the team; you can't change your team for the people in the stands. You have to do that got you to this point."

acameron@theherald.canwest.com

© The Calgary Herald 2007

agent
08-20-2007, 04:46 PM
Was there any games televised?
How did it end up and how did these guys do?

hobster
08-20-2007, 06:36 PM
Eberle and Teubert did absoulutley nothing at all expecially eberle maybe he's lost with out festerling hmmm maybe a sophmore jix we'll see

Bran
08-20-2007, 06:49 PM
Eberle and Teubert did absoulutley nothing at all expecially eberle maybe he's lost with out festerling hmmm maybe a sophmore jix we'll see
You watched all the games?

They were far from the only players who didn't produce as much as was expected. Don't worry about those boys, they'll be just fine.

Some_Arrogant_Jerk
08-21-2007, 12:36 AM

Your boy gillies still looks lost, even with guys like Mcrae on his line, but thats not the point of the post.

the international game is alot different from the game in the dub. Even alot of good NHLers cannot produce on the international surface, while they put up PPG stats in NA. Not that I am comparing these 2 to NHLers, of course.

Eberle may have a ton of talent, but the kid is small, isnt very strong, and on top of that, he isnt all that fast either. It isnt hard to neutralize him on a larger ice surface where the rules are different, and the linemates are different every game, but as someone else said, it wasnt just eberle who was not producing.

If Jordan can get faster and stronger, I could see him as a sure-fire first rounder. But like you said, wait and see.