PDA

View Full Version : Another Tidbit

Scout
08-20-2007, 05:11 PM
Team by Team Overagers: Courtesy Alan Caldwell

Monday, August 20, 2007
Current overage picture
A look at the current overage picture around the league, with my picks for who each team will eventually go with when cutdown day arrives October 1:

Brandon Wheat Kings:
--------------------
In: Daryl Boyle (D), Tyler Dittmer (F), Theran Yeo (D)
Out: Codey Burki (F), Bryan Kauk (F), Dustin Kohn (D), Mark Louis (D), Tyler Plante (G), Ryan Reaves (F), Juraj Simek (F)

Reasoning: Burki, Kohn, Plante, Reaves, and Simek are gone to the pros. Kauk has informed the team he will pursue Jr A opportunities instead. That leaves Boyle, Dittmer, Yeo, and Louis for three spots and I don't think they'll go with three O/A defencemen. Louis is a decent guy but they need Boyle's offence and Yeo's toughness more.

Calgary Hitmen:
--------------------
In: Ryan Gillen (D), Dan Mercer (D), Riley Merkley (F)
Out: Brodie Dupont (F), Fredrik Petterson (F)

Reasoning: Dupont and Petterson are gone to the pros and Sweden, respectively. That leaves only three players for the three spots. The worthiness of Gillen to have a spot is debateable but until they cut him or get somebody else, it's his.

Chilliwack Bruins:
--------------------
In: Dylan Chapman (D), Nick Holden (D), Ken Petkau (F)
Out: none

Reasoning: No extras and those three make fine choices.

Edmonton Oil Kings:
--------------------
In: Alex Archibald (G), Michael Hengen (D), Karey Pieper (F), Bretton Stamler (D), Matt Swaby (D)

Reasoning: Again, no extras here since the Oil Kings are allowed five O/As this year.

Everett Silvertips:
--------------------
In: Dane Crowley (D), Dan Gendur (F), Brennan Sonne (F)
Out: Damir Alic (F), Brandon Campos (F), Ondrej Fiala (F), David Reekie (G), Jesse Smyke (F)

Reasoning: Fiala isn't coming back but the rest are. Slight chance Crowley could turn pro but I think he'll be back. Crowley and Gendur are shoo-ins, leaving one choice from the rest of the pack. No place for an overage goalie (they need to groom an eventual replacement for Leland Irving this year) so Reekie is out. Of the rest, I think Campos has some untapped potential, but Sonne has some grit to his game as well as being money in the bank in shootouts for some reason.

Kamloops Blazers:
--------------------
In: Ryan Bender (D), Dustin Butler (G), Brock Nixon (F)
Out: Brady Mason (F), Ryan White (D)

Reasoning: Nothing against Mason and White, but the other three are better. Nixon was the leading scorer last year, Butler (for all his inconsistencies last year) is the only returning goalie, and Bender is bigger and tougher than White, all else being equal between the two.

Kelowna Rockets:
--------------------
In: James McEwan (F), Kris Westblom (G)

Reasoning: They're the only two here so no decisions need to be made. McEwen could be the captain. If the Rockets want to fill the third spot, there will likely be some good candidates made available in the next month.

Kootenay Ice:
--------------------
In: Clayton Bauer (F), Steve DaSilva (F), Chad Greenan (D)
Out: Lukas Bohunicky (D), Paul Kurceba (D), Ryan Russell (F), Luke Wiens (F)

Reasoning: Russell and Bohunicky are gone, while Wiens was a one-dimensional tough guy who doesn't merit an overage spot. Since DaSilva (leading scorer) and Greenan (45 pts from the blueline last year) are pretty safe bets, that leaves the decision between the forward Bauer and the defenceman Kurceba. Got to think they'll go with Bauer's 50 points.

Lethbridge Hurricanes:
--------------------
In: Jacob Dietrich (F), Yashar Farmanara (F), Randy King (D)
Out: Tomas Kudelka (D), Nicolaus Knudsen (D), Lukas Vantuch (F)

Reasoning: Kudelka and Vantuch are gone. I think Dietrich and Farmanara are good bets, leaving King vs Knudsen for the defence spot. Probably King gets it.

Medicine Hat Tigers:
--------------------
In: Jerrid Sauer (F), Daine Todd (F), Kevin Undershute (F)
Out: Gord Baldwin (D), Darren Helm (F), Jakub Rumpel (F), Kris Russell (D), Michael Sauer (D), David Schlemko (D)

Reasoning: Baldwin, Helm, Rumpel, Russell, Sauer, and Schlemko are gone. That leaves the other three, who still make a good trio of O/A's

Moose Jaw Warriors:
--------------------
In: Terrance Delaronde (F), Joey Perricone (G), Keith Voytechek (F)
Out: Martin Grundling (D), Kurt Jory (G)

Reasoning: No need for two O/A goalies which means that Jory likely won't be back unless Perricone isn't for some reason. Perricone had a rough year last year but his play in the 2006 playoffs showed he can be a #1. Jory hasn't shown that. Delaronde and Voytechek fill the other two spots nicely unless Grundling does come back as an overage import, as some speculation has him doing. A decision is required in that case - but not until we see the whites of Grundling's eyes anyway.

Portland Winter Hawks:
--------------------
In: Nicholas Hotson (F), Frazer McLaren (F)

Reasoning: McLaren could have some pro potential (Los Angeles, I think?) but either way there are no decisions to be made here about cutting or trading anyone.

Prince Albert Raiders:
--------------------
In: John Flatters (D), Mike Gauthier (D), Jeff May (D)
Out: Jarrid Dowhay (F)

Reasoning: Three O/A defencemen? Unlikely we see that come true in the end, but Dowhay is clearly the worst of the four so at this point, Flatters-Gauthier-May are my picks.

Prince George Cougars:
--------------------
In: Real Cyr (G), Greg Gardner (F), Kalvin Sagert (D)
Out: Nick Drazenovic (F), Vladimir Mihalik (D), Curtis Patterson (D), Richard Rapac (F), Devin Setoguchi (F)

Reasoning: Drazenovic, Mihalik, Rapac, and Setoguchi are gone. Cyr is the starting goalie so he's got a job, while Sagert and Gardner are well ahead of Patterson in the pecking order.

Red Deer Rebels:
--------------------
In: Pierre-Paul Lamoureux (F)
Out: Martin Hanzal (F), Jason Lynch (D), Kirill Starkov (F), Brett Sutter (F), J.D. Watt (F)

Reasoning: Hanzal, Sutter, and Watt are gone to the pros while Lynch is leaving the WHL to go to university. There is an outside chance that Starkov may be returned to the WHL by the Columbus Blue Jackets, which is probably why the Rebels only drafted one Euro in the import draft despite having room for two. Rumours abound that Sutter (unlikely) or Watt (only slightly more likely) will be returned to the Rebels from the Calgary Flames minor league system, but like with Grundling, wait 'til they show up. That leaves only the versatile Lamoureux with a for-sure spot right now and it's not really very for-sure either.

Regina Pats:
--------------------
In: Troy Ofukany (F), Justin Scott (F)
Out: Kaspars Saulietis (F), Myles Stoesz (F)

Reasoning: Ofukany and Scott will be there, although Scott might not be there for long if he can't prove he can play on the top couple lines. Saulietis and Stoesz are less likely although both are possibilities. Saulietis is believed to be coming to camp but the Pats have two new Euros that he'd have to beat out. Stoesz could turn pro or could also be returned for another year in junior.

Saskatoon Blades:
--------------------
In: Chris Durand (F), Michael Kaye (F)

Reasoning: both these guys have been acquired by trade already this summer. There's room for one more.

Seattle Thunderbirds:
--------------------
In: Andre Herman (F), Scott Jackson (D), Ian McKenzie (F)
Out: Benn Olson (D)

Reasoning: Assuming Jackson doesn't earn a contract off an NHL tryout somewhere, this should be the three since Benn Olson is still rather one-dimensional. If Jackson doesn't come back though, Olson could be in luck.

Spokane Chiefs:
--------------------
In: Judd Blackwater (F), Chris Bruton (F), David Rutherford (F)
Out: Michael Grabner (F), Adam Hobson (F), David Linsley (F), Sean Zimmerman (D)

Reasoning: Grabner, Hobson, and Zimmerman are gone to the pros. Of the other three, Linsley's contributions are the smallest. That puts him on the outside.

Swift Current Broncos:
--------------------
In: R.J. LaRochelle (D), Brady Leavold (F), Michael Wilson (D)
Out: Daniel Rakos (F)

Reasoning: Rakos will not return as an overage import, leaving the other three to the spots.

Tri-City Americans:
--------------------
In: T.J. Fast (D), Erik Felde (F), Colton Yellow Horn (F)
Out: Tanner Gillies (F), Carey Price (G), Shaun Vey (F)

Reasoning: Tanner Gillies has retired and Carey Price will turn pro. Yellow Horn could/should score 50 goals one of these years so he's not going anywhere, and Fast is the lone defenceman on a blueline that can probably use some older players so he's probably sticking around too. Felde vs Vey for the third spot, tough call. Going to go with Felde because of Vey's history of injuries and inconsistency, but Vey will fetch a good price in a trade with somebody.

Vancouver Giants:
--------------------
In: Garet Hunt (F), Tim Kraus (F), Mike Wuchterl (F)
Out: Mario Bliznak (F), Cody Franson (D), Kenndal McArdle (F), Brendan Mikkelson (D), Blaine Neufeld (G)

Reasoning: Bliznak, Franson, McArdle, and Mikkelson are gone. That leaves only the other three plus goalie Neufeld but they don't need an overage backup goalie with the 18 year old Sexsmith being their starter. Kraus is in the Don Hay doghouse and could be trade bait but until then, he's got one of the spots. Hunt and Wuchterl are similar type players but Hunt isn't going anywhere.

rinkrat
08-20-2007, 07:39 PM
Good article,thanks for posting that. :D

HAF
08-20-2007, 09:43 PM
"Tri-City Americans:
--------------------
In: T.J. Fast (D), Erik Felde (F), Colton Yellow Horn (F)
Out: Tanner Gillies (F), Carey Price (G), Shaun Vey (F)

Reasoning: Tanner Gillies has retired and Carey Price will turn pro. Yellow Horn could/should score 50 goals one of these years so he's not going anywhere, and Fast is the lone defenceman on a blueline that can probably use some older players so he's probably sticking around too. Felde vs Vey for the third spot, tough call. Going to go with Felde because of Vey's history of injuries and inconsistency, but Vey will fetch a good price in a trade with somebody."

I must be the only one who would take Vey over Felde. Vey has had issues with injuries in the past but Felde's work ethic or lack there of would put him on the outside looking in if it were up to me. He seemed to be invisible for 10 games at a time last year and you never knew from day to day which Felde we were going to see. Sometimes you saw a rocket with the ability to break out at key moments in a game and camp out if front of the net looking for rebounds and other nights you saw the laziest guy on the ice.
Either way, Trader Bob will get good market value for either one which wil hopefully come in the form of some size and toughness.

Rebel Tiger
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Sutter and Watt are BOTH Calgary Flames property and will be back.
You think One sutter is gonna trade for an O/A player property of another brother without a promice he will be back?!
(Refering to Watt who we just picked up)
So more likely in Red Deer to end up maybe even like this...
Sutter Watt Starkov
If Starkov is not back then maybe we will talk about your sure fire pick to make the team.

RDRebelsfan
08-21-2007, 12:02 AM
yea his Red Deer predicition I don't Like. PP is likely gonna be gone, Watt will be a 20 I'm assuming this Ryan Fuller will be and I certainly hope Starkov does return. A nice 1st line would be Starkov with Sutter and Watt.

bruinsr#1
08-21-2007, 12:13 AM
just so u know dylan chapman is gone from the bruins he is gone to college

bruinsr#1
08-21-2007, 12:16 AM
wait , i think i was wrong i think johnstone went to college sorry!

AlanC
08-21-2007, 07:57 PM
Sutter and Watt are BOTH Calgary Flames property and will be back.
You think One sutter is gonna trade for an O/A player property of another brother without a promice he will be back?!
If Starkov is not back then maybe we will talk about your sure fire pick to make the team.

If you take a second and re-read what I wrote, you'd see that I actually did not say Lamoureux is a sure thing. As I said, "it's not really very for-sure". I expect him to be cut. The point is that at this point, since he hasn't been cut yet, he is the onlyoverage player that the Rebels have on their roster who is certain to be there.

As for Watt and Sutter, I know they're both Flames property. It says that in my post. And you don't know for sure that they'll be back any more than I know for sure that they won't. I think it's unlikely based on what has been said by all parties concerned so far, but I do concede there is a chance they could be. Starkov is far more likely to be sent back IMO than either of those guys and the fact that Sutter chose to take only one Euro in the draft when he could have taken two kinda indicates that he thinks Starkov's coming back too.

These picks are not intended to be who I think the overagers for each team will be on October 1. This is just who I think they'd be based on the rosters right now. Obviously there's going to be trades yet, and no-shows, and even some players nobody knew were coming to the league.

Rebel Tiger
08-26-2007, 03:31 AM
Rebels get overages that belong to calgary and year after year they come back and yet people still say 'IF" they come back, just have not figured it out i guess.

SectionNDeserter
08-26-2007, 06:36 AM
Only overage player that the Rebels had that was Flames property, that was even remotely close to being ready and able to play pro hockey was Dion Phaneuf--and he wasn't sent back. The Rebels do acquire their fair share of Flames prospects (due to the relationship between the management of the teams), but none of them are in the WHL because they were "sent back for Darryl's brother". Brett Sutter was pretty good last year, but he wasn't exactly tearing up the league, and reading the Vancouver board all year would lead one to believe that Watt still has some facets to his game that he still needs to "fine-tune".