PDA

View Full Version : The next wave

Sput
08-23-2007, 01:41 AM
care of www.princegeorgecitizen.com

Cats’ brass on the lookout for the next wave of offence

by JIM SWANSON, Citizen Sports Editor

No Setoguchi. No Hunter. No Drazenovic. No Walker, Durand, Mihalik, Redden, Rapac or Bowles.

Key parts of last year’s Cinderella playoff club are gone, particularly up front, but the Prince George Cougars are taking the approach that fresh faces and new blood will bring a new wave of scoring stars.

As training camp opens today at CN Centre, that’s the hope.

“We know guys like Seto and Hunter are gone, and we’re preparing like there’s no chance of getting (Nick Drazenovic) back from pro,” said general manager Dallas Thompson.

“If he gets sent back by St. Louis, it would be a great day for us. It would be a nice problem to have, but we’re moving forward right now.”

Training camp may be coming up too soon for some people, but head coach Drew Schoneck was anxious to get back at it shortly after losing in five games to the Vancouver Giants in the Western Conference final. Watching the Giants go on to claim the Memorial Cup only made him that much hungrier to get ready for battle.

“I’ve been ready for this since about two weeks after the playoffs ended for us,” said Schoneck, who gets his first chance to lead a WHL team through training camp, with sessions starting this morning at 8 at CN Centre.

“I took the two weeks to rest and relax, but I was itching to get back at it. It’s good to get to start from ground zero and have a full year to implement the things I want to see in place.”

First and foremost? Conditioning.

“We’re going to hammer on that, and our exhibition schedule allows that,” said Schoneck.

“We play in the one tournament where we have three games in three days, then we only have the two other games with Kamloops. Basically, we have 10 full days off before the home opener. We’ll do a lot of on-ice and off-ice stuff and we’ll continue that throughout the year. There is a misconception that you can’t do anything during the year because guys are tired, but things have changed. We won’t kill the guys, but there is a lot of work to be done all year long.

“The other thing is we’re going on a trip east early in the season, and that’s a key team-builder for us.”

The big question that will dog these Cats through training camp is where the offence will come from this season. Gone from last year’s totals are 135 goals and 304 points.

“You can place a system around creating offence, but positions get points,” said new assistant coach Wade Klippenstein.

“Look at every team -- everyone’s top two lines, everyone’s power-play guys, they get points. Teams worry about how they’re going to replace this guy or that guy, but people come in and step up and surprise people, it happens every year. There are jobs and opportunities for guys to come in and lead, and some of the guys who are coming back will get more time and responsibility, and they’ll be better.”

There have been few deals made around the league heading into camp, which Thompson finds unusual. Aside from the trade that saw ex-Cougars draft choice Tyler Swystun go to Portland for Thomas Frazee, precious little has happened.

“I am very surprised because I thought there would be more dealing going on,” said Thompson.

“We made one earlier in the summer (acquiring Alex Poulter from Red Deer) and there was the minor one the other day, but it’s been quiet. I’ve talked to other GMs and they all seem to want to wait and see how their teams look in training camp. We’ll do the same thing.”

n Two players who won’t be here for camp, and who likely will not play any exhibition games, are defenceman Ty Wishart and forward Dana Tyrell. The two NHL draft picks -- Wishart by San Jose in 2006, Tyrell by Tampa Bay two months ago -- are with Team Canada for the junior-version re-enactment of the famed 1972 Super Series with Russia. Wishart and Tyrell are already in Russia preparing for the eight-game battle that begins with Game 1 on Monday.

sbtatter
09-01-2007, 09:43 PM
Is Dale going to make the team this year?

habsfan12
09-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I dont really care that Bowles is gone, because that means that Cyr will get to play alot more games!!! It sucks that Seto and Drazenovic are gone because they were big assets to the team and so was Redden!! I hope they have another great year!! applause :p yeehoo

WestLEAFfan
09-02-2007, 07:27 AM
The COUGARS had a really tough time generating offence last night vs Speedy Creek. They managed to win the game with only 13 shots at the BRONCO net. Apparently, back-up goaltender Joel Danyluk was spectacular between the pipes for the Cats. Hopefully, the poor shot total was just a case of nerves and not a sign of things to come. :confused:

Cougar Guy
09-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Looking at our roster, I have an unfortunate hunch that it's a sign of things to come . . . LOL.

WestLEAFfan
09-02-2007, 11:19 AM
CYR was the goalkeeper vs Swift Current last night, not Danyluk. I just talked to his mom.

habsfan12
09-02-2007, 06:34 PM
thats awesome... i didnt get to listen to the game.... What were the shots like!! thats great that they won! :clap:

WestLEAFfan
09-02-2007, 07:33 PM
The game wasn't on the net, I got the info from CYRSIE's Mom this AM at breakfast!

WestLEAFfan
09-02-2007, 07:36 PM
I think they played again this afternoon. Anyone catch the results?

habsfan12
09-03-2007, 09:09 PM
o ok... well i heard that they lost today..