PDA

View Full Version : Blades gear up for camp

Shortys
08-23-2007, 08:59 AM
Blades gear up for camp
Cory Wolfe, The StarPhoenix
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2007

Training camp doesn't open until next week, but the Saskatoon Blades have already made some cuts.

They've ditched rookie camp so they can get right down to business. Of the 74 players expected to hit the ice Aug. 30 in Martensville, 17 are returnees.

"Because of our depth, it's going to be one of the most competitive camps we've had," coach-GM Lorne Molleken said Wednesday. "We have 16- and 17-year-olds who have been on our list for two or three years and they deserve an opportunity."

In lieu of rookie camp, the Blades invited their top prospects to an evaluation camp at Schroh Arena in May.

"Having 80 kids in rookie camp was just too much and it was too long," said assistant GM Jarrod Brodsky, "We decided to go after certain kids that we really wanted here."

Players will be divided into four teams with scrimmages running Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Molleken plans to trim the roster to about 26 after Saturday morning's sessions. He expects to have at least "10 guys pushing for jobs."

North Vancouver defenceman Stefan Elliott, Kelowna forward Curtis Hamilton and Surrey goaltender Adam Morrison are among the 1991-born players who have a shot at cracking the Blades' roster this season.

Forwards Chris Durand and Michael Kaye -- both off-season acquisitions -- are the only 20-year-olds invited to camp. Molleken said he doesn't expect to add a third overager until after Oct. 11. That's the deadline for Western Hockey League teams to declare their three overage players.

"There's not an overabundance of 20-year-olds out there, compared to last year," said Molleken. "We're just going to have to sit and wait until teams sort through what's available. Some players are away at (NHL) camps and teams won't know whether they're getting them back. I think we'll be waiting to see what comes available Oct. 11."

BLADE BITS: Because the Blades plan to be down to 26 players by Sept. 1, the traditional intrasquad game has also been axed . . . Finnish D Jyri Niemi and Slovakian F Robert Brandis are scheduled to arrive in Saskatoon late Sunday . . . The Blades' first exhibition action is Sept. 7 in Prince Albert. The following night, the Regina Pats visit Credit Union Centre. The exhibition schedule also includes a Sept. 14 clash between the Blades and Raiders in Lloydminster.

cwolfe@sp.canwest.com

© The StarPhoenix (Saskatoon) 2007

hobster
08-23-2007, 11:30 AM
I personally like this what lorne is doing what he is trying to do is build team chemistry he knowes how he wants his team 26 players by september 1st is early but why delay the obvious

Shortys
08-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Exactly, I agree. I think he knows who he wants on the team already, with 17 returnees, and he says 10 guys pushing for jobs, I am sure he has a pretty good idea already who the 10 guys will be, so why drag it out. I like this that we will be seeing the just about full team playing in the exibition games, get the guys who will be there the whole year have a jump start on the season playing together. I expect blowouts in the preseason! I hope to see Inglis play the exibitions as well.

Trav
08-23-2007, 05:14 PM
It's good Molleken is going with a small camp of 76 players compared to having a rookie camp with over a 100 players and then a main camp of 80 players especially since there's a lot of veterans returning and the guys that were called up last year will likely make the move up, like Hamilton, Berg, Elliot, Toomey, Belyk and Braid. Morrison and Matthew Krahn from the Manitoba Midget AAA league will challange Zemlak for the backup spot but I think Zemlak will keep his job since he is only 18 and the two others are 16 and would be better off playing lots back in their leagues.

Possible lines

Gillies - Durand - Hulak
Kaye - McCrae - Brandis
Crowley - Pattersson - Hamilton
Wintoneak - Toomey - Belyk
Extra's Cameron, Braid, Klotz

Hmm, quite a few extra forwards so could see another deal coming unless Braid and Belyk for some reason arent going to come but they're 18 and did very well last year so id be surprised if Molleken has dropped one or both of them. Cuthbert I can't see making it, if he still with the Blades.

Defense

Funk - Overager
Neimi - Ward, still here so guess probably on the team. He better be a whole lot better then the last year two years.
Zahn - Klassen
Berg - Ellliot

Extra's d-men here to. I'm pretty sure Molleken will try and get an overaged d-man. Klassen could be on the outs. Elliot and Berg could be rotated in and out of the lineup.

Goaltenders

Holtby
Zemlak

Goaltending is strong, two starting goaltenders.