PDA

View Full Version : Stars prepare to shine

nivek_wahs
08-23-2007, 04:29 PM
http://www.reginapats.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=1018

Stars prepare to shine

Greg Harder, The Leader-Post
Published: Thursday, August 23, 2007

Colten Teubert and Jordan Eberle plan to hit the ground running.

The Regina Pats' young studs returned home Sunday night after a fourth-place finish with Canada's under-18 team at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial tournament in the Czech Republic and Slovakia.

Following a brief reprieve with family and friends, they arrived back in Regina on Wednesday night to begin preparations for training camp, which starts Saturday in White City.

"I'm just excited to be with the boys again," a smiling Teubert said after arriving at the Brandt Centre. "I'm definitely excited about this year. We have high hopes."

Eberle agreed, although he admitted to some lingering disappointment about the trip overseas.

"Going there, you always expect the best," said the Regina native, who now resides in Calgary. "The (Canadian) team before us, with Nick Ross, won gold, so that's everyone's goal. Overall, it was a pretty good experience but we wanted something better than fourth place."

Both players were getting their first taste of international competition.

It was an eye-opener.

"We had very little time off," noted Teubert, a native of White Rock, B.C.

"It was strictly hockey, but it was definitely fun to experience playing other teams like Russia and the Czech Republic and Sweden, just to see the calibre out there in Europe. It was fun all around."

The only glitch was the end result.

Canada's fate was ultimately sealed by a shootout loss to Sweden in its first round-robin game of the tournament. Since the top team in each pool advances automatically to the final, one loss was enough to relegate Canada to the bronze-medal game, losing 5-4 to Russia.

"It was kind of heartbreaking," lamented Teubert. "Going for the bronze medal, I think we took it a little too lightly and they outworked us. We came from behind in the third period, outshot them 25-3, but their goalie stood on his head."

Teubert was used primarily as a shut-down defenceman and penalty killer. Eberle saw some time on the top line, finishing with one assist in four games. He had two goals and two assists in an exhibition win over Slovakia.

Overall, the experience should help both players start strong in training camp. Coming off stellar rookie campaigns, they'll be asked to accept even more responsibility in 2007-08.

"Based on the type of years they had, expectations are going to grow," said GM Brent Parker. "They're competitive kids and they expect a lot of themselves. They expect to be top-end players. That's why they have achieved any of the successes they've had to this point. The key for us is to make sure they don't put too much burden on themselves instead of just going out and playing."

With that in mind, Teubert isn't setting any personal goals, other than to continue developing into a better all-around player.

"I just want to be a solid D-man, play as much as I can and do my job, just be noticeable," said the No. 1 pick in the 2005 WHL bantam draft.

"We lose Kyle Deck this year and he was a big part of our D-core. That definitely opens up some opportunities for me to play a little bit more -- and the other D too. There will be more competition. It'll be fun."

Eberle, who scored a team-high 28 goals as a rookie, will be asked to help carry the offensive load. Like Teubert, however, he plans to stay away from setting any personal goals for the season.

"You don't want to look too far ahead," said Eberle. "Right now I'm just focused on having a good training camp. Everyone in the room is a year older so we should have an even better team than last year.

"I'm excited for the season to start."