PDA

View Full Version : Camp Opens

dtnewbie_bronco
08-23-2007, 10:11 PM
How were the games tonight? Who looked good, who looked well... not so good? :turkey:

Big Ern
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
The games were great!

Who looked good? Dale Weise. Simply put, he was outstanding. He was in on six goals! He will carry this play into this season, and have an outburst. Matt Tassone also looked great. He has some new moves, and they're working for him. He skates very well. Also, the defensive pairing of Postma/McAvoy in the first game impressed me immensely! Paul Postma is ever-improving...skating like a charm, and his coverage is GREAT! Spencer McAvoy is a great surprise. Moving him back to defense has caused him to focus entirely on one role, and he sure grabbed my eyes out there. He skates with obvious determination, plays with an edge, and looks impressive on defense. Other kudos go to guys like Geordie Wudrick, Justin Dowling, Codey Eakin, and Phil Gervais. They were all very noticeable, and will compliment this team extremely well. There's more to mention..but it would be a thick book. With a balanced team like this, we should be great this season.

Who looked..well..not so good? There were one or two guys. But our team seems to have an amazing mentality coming in this season, and the wrong statement at this time could easily spoil that. So I will not mention anyone that didn't look so good today....it's not the time to do that as a fan. The guys that are here, should just keep chugging away. There is a chance for everyone. As for the mentality, it's just obvious. Guys are hungry for a great season, and are getting ready to do some damage.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow, and the weekend even more!

LET'S GO SWIFY!!!

Offsider
08-24-2007, 06:58 AM
Agree with Big Ern Weise look great and Tassone WOW looks like he is here to make this Team Played with lots of jump . A few of the other vets should take notice looked like some of them were playing BEER league Training camp or not make it look like you want to be on this Team . One big surprise Blue # 3 Macaulay looks like this Kid could be another Ian White GREAT skater handles the puck good plays with heart. kind of on the small size for the D but so was White . I would like to see him in a real game and see how he handles it. Lots of young talent , Some Vets better not look over there shoulder or they will get passed . Missed the 4pm game but everyone said Dowling ,Wudrick,Eakin looked very good

CrazyGeorge
08-25-2007, 11:56 AM
Any more updates from Broncos camp after another day of scrimmages and such?

Big Ern
08-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Today was a great day. It might seem so, because it's the first time I've watched hockey ALL day for a while. (Literally all day..from 7 AM 'till 10 PM!) It was awesome.

Game one was very entertaining. Dale Weise potted two goals and Matt Tassone looked awesome and sunk one goal as well, as Team Williams prevailed once again....6-5. Dale Weise and Matt Tassone seem to perform great consistently. These two are sending a clear message: They are hungry for success. If they keep this up, they'll find it. Good job guys! Other names to mention on this team are Taylor Vause and Phil Gervais. Gervais has a great all-around game and Vause showed signs of brilliance. Noteable performers on Team Trottier include David Stieler, Geordie Wudrick, Justin Dowling, Brady Leavold, and Derek Claffey also played exceptionally well. It seems the vets are stepping right up, which is what we need.

Game two was a joke...if you will. The final score was 14-10 in favor of Team Sakic. Every shot on goal seemed to go in at one point. Grant Toulmin scored FOUR goals...all on wicked wrist shots. Kris Foucault also had me checking my name sheet at times. He can sure maneuver out there, and get lightning quick shots on goal. On Team Ruskouski, the ten goals were mostly divided among the entire team. Kyle Bortis looked a lot better out there than he has in the last few days. It's great to see. 17-yr-old Scott Macauley looked himself too. He puts on a hell of a show for fans, and ends up scoring goals so pretty, it's almost unbelievable. Christian Magnus showcased some talent. And 18-yr-old Eric Doyle is looking exceptionally good...skating with confidence. The game got so out of hand offense-wise, it's tough to write a review on it. The wheels fell off.

The final day of the tournament is set for tomorrow. On-ice action starts at 10 AM sharp. See you there!

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!! :thumb:

CrazyGeorge
08-25-2007, 11:34 PM
When are the first round of cuts going to be?

Big Ern
08-26-2007, 12:04 AM
When are the first round of cuts going to be?

A few cuts will be made tomorrow night, and then more cuts after the Black/White game on Tuesday.

When they leave for the Edmonton tournament on Saturday morning, they'll be down to 30 players.

Broncs in RD
08-26-2007, 08:17 AM
Where can you find the schedule for the tourney as I have the weekend off and want to go to Edmonton to watch some games. Anyone from Swift Going?

Big Ern
08-26-2007, 09:42 AM
Where can you find the schedule for the tourney as I have the weekend off and want to go to Edmonton to watch some games. Anyone from Swift Going?

Here is the schedule:

Saturday Sept. 1/07 Prince George vs. Swift Current 7:00 Edmonton
Sunday Sept. 2/07 Kelowna vs. Swift Current 11:00 Edmonton
Monday Sept. 3/07 Kamloops vs. Swift Current 3:00 Edmonton

Going to Edmonton? It's the long weekend, and I am really giving it some consideration. Despite that, the drive is around eight hours. So far, distance has never stopped me. I'll see how things fall into place.

Broncs in RD
08-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I should be there for the sat. and sun. games. BigErn you can do it in 6 and a half.

Big Ern
08-26-2007, 01:20 PM
I should be there for the sat. and sun. games. BigErn you can do it in 6 and a half.

Which way are you thinking? I was told by Mr. Tassone (Matt Tassone's dad) from his experiences, the quickest, shortest, and most convenient way to go is: Straight up to North Battleford, and straight over to Edmonton on the YELLOWHEAD #16. Is that the route you would take?

Broncs in RD
08-26-2007, 01:48 PM
I take number 1 past brooks then take the drumhellar turnoff and then to stettler and end in ponoka,that takes me 5 and a half hours. Thats the way I take when I come home. Then its an hour north to Edmonton. If you want message me I will get you exact directions.

CrazyGeorge
08-26-2007, 02:41 PM
It's 4 hours from Swift to Northbattleford and 2.5 from North Battleford to Edmonton...roughly. That's not 4 lane traffic though...2 lane most of the way.

Big Ern
08-26-2007, 05:33 PM
I take number 1 past brooks then take the drumhellar turnoff and then to stettler and end in ponoka,that takes me 5 and a half hours. Thats the way I take when I come home. Then its an hour north to Edmonton. If you want message me I will get you exact directions.

Thanks. That seems like a tempting route to take too, because of the twinned #1 highway. I'll pull from a hat to decide which way I'm going. As for directions, I have MICROSOFT STREETS AND TRIPS 2006. It's the best thing that ever happened to me, and gives you exact directions to the address you want.

See you there. (Hopefully.....my plans could change until next weekend..but not likely.)

LET'S GO SWIFTY!!!

CrazyGeorge
08-26-2007, 08:57 PM
So tonight was the last day of the mini tournament. First round of cuts will be made soon eh? Any updates? I'm curious about a general update from Bronco camp. Howz our goaltending looking..will it be a battle between Curtis and Yonkman for the #1 job or has someone else stepped up and make an impression at camp? What about defense...are we are more mobile/puck moving defensive core, a physical type, or a good balance? Forwards...I think we lacked speed up front, is that going to be addressed? Will we have vets not making the squad and some more youth in our up coming team?

I'm dang excited for this season. It's tough not being able to be at training camp being about 4 or 5 hours away. I thank the Bronco fans on WHLFANS.CA for the updates and opinions.

Link Dog
08-26-2007, 11:03 PM
In my opinion, by the effort that was shown the last four days of games, there are at least eight new regular guys that could play this year, not including Curtis who will back up Yonkman. Macaulay and Martin looked good at the back along with others but these two stood out. Up front, Dowling, Dalecky, Eakin, Foucault, Hoban and Brown did enough to show they can play at this level I think. This leads me to wonder what the realistic goal for this year is? We should be in the top half of the league but a Memorial Cup contender? Not yet IMO. Right now we have seven 19 year olds on the team, Steiler, Yonkman, McAvoy, Smith, Nelson, Bortis and Weise. Which three will be our 20 year olds next year and which would be tradeable to make room for our younger up and coming talent. Can we pick up an 18 year old or two and plan on a big push for it all next year. From these eyes, management has a good problem of having a lot of quality guys and not enough places to put them all. Just my thoughts on camp.

CrazyGeorge
08-27-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm guessing there hasn't been any cuts yet today? If so, I'm curious who is left.

Flathead
08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I guess we can't find out anything on the Broncos web site either, as the last thing on it is from July 23.

I've only seen the Saturday evening scrimmage. Yonkman looked good. Eakin, Foucault, and Macaulay looked good for rookies. Toulmin stood out the most for me, I thought he looked very good.

BigErn, I would take the Brooks and then North route, it is the fastest way to get to Edmonton.

CrazyGeorge
08-28-2007, 07:51 AM
Seeing that the intersquad game is tonight, the roster must have been reduced. Just curious if anyone could provide a roster update? Thanks guys!!

Toswammi
08-28-2007, 10:17 AM
Seeing that the intersquad game is tonight, the roster must have been reduced. Just curious if anyone could provide a roster update? Thanks guys!!

Well you will get one in a few hours when you pick up a line up.

Offsider
08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
???

Scout
08-28-2007, 11:56 AM
Game time is at 7 p.m. and cost is $5.00 for adults.

Scout

Broncs in RD
08-28-2007, 01:31 PM
The arena the broncos play at in St. Alberta this weekend is also known as St. Albert multipurpose leisure center. On ticketmaster it is known as Sevus Credit Union Center.

CrazyGeorge
08-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I would if I was in Swift. I live 4.5 hours away...that's why I rely on updates from whlfans.ca.

Big Ern
08-28-2007, 11:31 PM
The arena the broncos play at in St. Alberta this weekend is also known as St. Albert multipurpose leisure center. On ticketmaster it is known as Sevus Credit Union Center.

It is the Campbell Arena, AKA TROY MURRAY MARK MESSIER ARENA, located at 300 Carnegie Drive in St. Albert.

Broncs in RD
08-29-2007, 03:55 PM
Make sure Big Ern the info I recieved was at 400 campbell road.

Big Ern
08-29-2007, 04:53 PM
Make sure Big Ern the info I recieved was at 400 campbell road.

HAHA. Well, either way, if it's in that general area, it can't be that hard to find.

When all hope falls short, you stop at a gas bar and ask. They should know. LOL

Broncs in RD
08-29-2007, 06:20 PM
All rinks are in the same complex 3 rinks and 3 indoor soccer fields. the one arena holds 2000 people. Have you found a place to stay?. I got some numbers and places if you need them. Safe trip Big Ern

Big Ern
08-29-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm extremely excited to go. But right now, I'm trying to find someone who will come on the trip with me.

I always go on these trips all by myself..cost is not a problem. But it would be nice to have company along the way...