PDA

View Full Version : Your take on inter-leauge play...

Fight Guy
01-15-2005, 03:38 PM
In the East, the OHL and QMJHL have some inter-league games between the two leagues. Well, I have always wanted to see some of the teams in the East play against the teams in the Dub. Of coarse there is the slight problem of distance between the East and West, but I think it would be great to see some of the other teams in the CHL as well. It was great to see Ottawa and Val'dor play in Regina during the Memorial Cup, and I got to see how some of the other teams played. You would be able to get an idea of the style of hockey the other leauges show. And there is always talk of how teams or players would do in other leagues, and this way everyone would be able to see. I liked when there was the inter-league All-Star games. I dont like the switch to the Canada-Russia Challenge. But anyway, thats my rant. What do you think?

a7x
01-15-2005, 03:52 PM
It's too bad the only time WHL fans get to see OHL and QMJHL teams play is in the Memorial Cup. And that is only if the Memorial Cup is in your city and/or you are lucky enough to get tickets.

It would be cool if one of the more western teams from the OHL were able to come play a couple teams in the WHL. I think Portland would be ruled out though because we're so far away.

The_Vulk
01-15-2005, 04:09 PM
It is because of the distance/travel that inter-league play with the WHL and the rest of the CHL will not happen, as it is on the shoulders of the individual team(s) to pay for the trip.

Thunderbird107
01-15-2005, 04:12 PM
In the East, the OHL and QMJHL have some inter-league games between the two leagues. Well, I have always wanted to see some of the teams in the East play against the teams in the Dub. Of coarse there is the slight problem of distance between the East and West, but I think it would be great to see some of the other teams in the CHL as well. It was great to see Ottawa and Val'dor play in Regina during the Memorial Cup, and I got to see how some of the other teams played. You would be able to get an idea of the style of hockey the other leauges show. And there is always talk of how teams or players would do in other leagues, and this way everyone would be able to see. I liked when there was the inter-league All-Star games. I dont like the switch to the Canada-Russia Challenge. But anyway, thats my rant. What do you think?

Actually, it's been a couple years. And even though they are in two different leagues, Ottawa and Gatineau, the last teams to do it, are right across the river from each other so it wasn't like a huge road trip or anything.

You could always get a satellite dish. ;)

Rebel66
01-19-2005, 12:36 AM
I would be against inter league play. Sure it would be novel and somewhat interesting but I feel that the dub is the best hockey league at this level in any case. I'm happy with what I get to see. Just my opinion.

Orv
01-19-2005, 11:51 AM
I'm not a huge fan of the inter-league idea. I like how the only time teams play other league's teams is in the Memorial Cup. It makes it more suspensful because the teams don't know what to expect.

IceMan
01-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Interleague play has ruined baseball, it would ruin junior hockey as well. There's been 2 world series already where the teams have played during the year. That sucks.

There's something special about the mystery of playing for the big bad ass title against teams that you've never seen before.

Tiger Trauma
01-19-2005, 12:27 PM
It would be interesting to watch teams like Rimouski and London play over here but I'm not in favor of interleague play...just dont like it!

Beaner
01-19-2005, 01:03 PM
No thanks. I only get to see Teams from the East Division once a year as it is.

Tinner
01-19-2005, 01:32 PM
...the WHL go to a balanced schedule, that is, play every team the same amount of games, home and away. Playing some teams 10 times a year is wearing thin on the fans, whereas playing the other 19 teams 4 games each, 2 home 2 away, would make for very entertaining hockey thoughout the year. I know that might not happen, but even playing each team outside your division 3 times, alternating odd/even years when you get 2 home games, and the teams in your own division the balance of the schedule would be an improvement over the current schedule.

Of course the teams complain about costs, but they must remember that fans in the rink pay the bills and if fans get tired of seeing the same team(s) all the time, they won't come. Season ticket holders change that theory to the extent the teams don't care because the season ticket base is the same for every game......but fans don't show up, buy less confections, beer and game day soveigners (spelling)

The_Vulk
01-19-2005, 02:50 PM
As rebel39 said, playing the same teams over and over again gets monotonous.

Then, the home-at-home games.

The only way to help curb the travel costs might be to have to go the way of the AHL (or to an extent, MLB). That is, having the same team stay in the city for a series of games.

But even that might not work, if the cost of a hotel for the team would be more than just traveling to the next city and getting the road trip over and done with all the sooner.

RunTheGoalie
01-19-2005, 06:44 PM
I'd like to see more balance in the schedule, but leave it unbalanced.

I dont like facing Red Deer ten times a year, while the American teams come to Calgary only once every two seasons, but so long as the playoff seeds are determined by divisional rank, then divisional play should have the highest priority.

On interleague play: no thanks. There is over 1000 KM in distance between Brandon and the nearest OHL team, nevermind the US and BC divisions. There is no money to be made in interleague play, and it does not offer much in the way of player development.

The money that teams would throw away on interleague play would be better spent on scouting, day-to-day operations and scholarships.