PDA

View Full Version : Competition at Bronco Camp

Scout
08-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Courtesy Southwest Booster:

Last updated at 9:39 AM on 24/08/07

Competition heats up at Broncos camp
The Swift Current Broncos were back on the ice on Monday afternoon at the Fairview Arena with the veteran and list skaters first to hit the ice. Main camp will begin Thursday with free agents joining the players who have already reported.

Head Coach / General Manager Dean Chynoweth expects the competition to begin immediately.

"The competition should be very intense. We have a number of players that are returning that have a lot to prove and we have a lot of young guys that are going to be close to ready to stepping in and playing. Come Thursday morning when we get fully started with the entire camp I expect it to be very competitive."

Chynoweth confirmed that a number of veterans will be fighting for their jobs.

"I think that that goes without saying. You have to prove yourself year in and year out. When you are in any type of sport you can't rest on your laurels."

One familiar face not at camp is Daniel Rakos who was not brought back by the team as he would occupy both a 20-year-old and a European spot.

"We wanted to take another guy and the only way that Danny would be able to come back was if the guy that we drafted decided not to come or there was interest in him throughout the league, and there was not, so there was no sense proceeding. If he would have played better last season then we would have explored that," said Chynoweth.

The Broncos blueline looks crowded with four 18-year-old returnees, two 20-year-old returnees, plus forward Spencer McAvoy who looks to become a full-time defenseman after seeing spot duty on the blueline last season. But Chynoweth believes that the blueline is not set just yet.

"There is room for someone to crack that position. The best scenario is to have someone force you to have to make a move. That would mean moving a veteran guy because the young guys played good. Those are all scenarios that I think are healthy for an organization and hopefully we are in that situation."

Among the players rearing to go is 17-year-old sophomore forward Geordie Wudrick.

"We are all really excited; we have all been talking on the internet and stuff. We obviously will have a few new faces as well as a bunch of guys who had a little taste last year. The wait has been too long from April and we are all psyched and ready to go right from training camp, exhibition, and an awesome start to the season."

19-year-old forward Levi Nelson admitted that it seems like yesterday that the Broncos were eliminated by the Regina Pats in the playoffs.

"I think that it was a good summer; it was a lot of hard work every day. It was a quick summer, it felt like just the other day we were leaving and now we are back here for registration. It is good to be back here to see the guys in camp this year and we should have a good team this year."

Nelson is coming off a call-up to the Providence Bruins of the American Hockey League to conclude last season.

"That really helped me to go out there and see the pro lifestyle. Just being around those type of players was a good eye opener for me just to be around that kind of stuff and hopefully I can bring it back to camp and use it this year."

19-year-old goaltender Travis Yonkman hopes to take over the starting reigns this season.

"Nothing is secured until they say so, so I am coming to camp well prepared and ready to work and hopefully I can secure that spot."

"The off-season went real well actually. I went down to Chestermere to work with a couple of guys and I thought that my game improved quite a bit and I can't wait to get on the ice," said Yonkman.

Broncos' 23rd overall pick in the 2005 WHL Bantam Draft, goaltender Ian Curtis, looks poised to challenge for a roster spot, but he admits that his expectations are modest.

"As a young guy coming in, I am even happy to be here right now. I would be happy to be a backup or whatever happens down the line I am really in no place to say what is going to happen. I am just going to come out every night and do my best and hopefully based on that performance I will get whatever is coming to me."

Curtis believes that his style in net has changed dramatically.

"I have changed my style quite a bit over the last two summers. I used to be a very aggressive 'make the player make a move' kind of goaltender. Now I just kind of sit back and am a lot more relaxed and have a lot more efficient movements. I have been working a lot with my goaltending coach on maximizing my space, my coverage abilities, and my size. I tried to calm everything down and become a solid goaltender."

Thursday the Broncos will be divided into four teams, Team Trottier, Team Sakic, Team Ruskowski, and Team Tiger, and will be practicing throughout the day on Thursday to Saturday with scrimmages at 4 and 7 p.m. each day.

Sunday will be the consolation and championship final at 10 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. respectively.

The Annual Black/White Inter-Squad game is slated for Tuesday at 7 p.m.

Scout
08-24-2007, 01:32 PM
Courtesy Southwest Booster:

Last updated at 9:39 AM on 24/08/07

Wudrick ready for pivotal season
Swift Current Broncos 17-year-old forward Geordie Wudrick has returned home after a disappointing fourth place finish with Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team at the 2007 Memorial of Ivan Hlinka Tournament.

Canada was chasing a fourth straight title at the event which took place Aug. 14-18, in Hodonin, Czech Republic and Piestany, Slovakia.

In the bronze medal game Canada lost 5-4 to Russia despite out-shooting their arch-rivals 38-18.

"Just from camp it was really good. I thought that I played really good in camp and obviously it was quite the honour to be on Team Canada. It was unfortunate that we did not have a better result, we only finished fourth. My role was not a big time role for Team Canada, but it was an unbelievable feeling playing for Team Canada and wearing a maple leaf on your jersey," said Wudrick.

Canada found themselves in the bronze medal game of the eight team event after winning twice and losing once in a shootout in Pool A action.

To open the tournament Canada lost in a shootout to Sweden 3-2.

On Wednesday Canada defeated Switzerland 3-2.

Thursday, Canada downed the Czech Republic 4-1. Wudrick assisted on a second period goal by Jordan Caron to give Canada a 3-1 lead.

During his rookie campaign with the Broncos, the 6'2' Wudrick had 13 goals and 24 points in 67 games to sit 10th in team scoring.

The Abbotsford native was one of 22 players, born in 1990 or later, who were selected out of a field of 40 athletes who competed at the National Men's Summer Under-18 Team selection camp, which ran August 4-8 in Calgary.

Wudrick, who is eligible for the 2008 National Hockey League Draft believes he is ready to handle the pressures of the upcoming pivotal season.

"I have kind of gone through that sort of thing when I was younger with the bantam draft. I just kind of take it as a challenge and I have had lots of challenges that I have played through in my life. It is exciting, you want to play well to impress the scouts, but first of all you want to have a winning team. If you are on a winning team and you are playing good and contributing to that team, then it just makes you look twice as good."

Team Canada featured eight players from the Ontario Hockey League, seven from the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League, plus six WHL skaters.

The WHL was represented by defenseman Colten Teubert (Regina), along with forwards Kyle Beach (Everett), James Wright (Vancouver), Kevin King (Kootenay), Jordan Eberle (Regina), and Wudrick.