View Full Version : Coaches get close to players

nivek_wahs
08-25-2007, 07:43 AM
http://www.heraldnet.com/article/20070825/SPORTS08/108250060/1004/SPORTS

Published: Saturday, August 25, 2007

Coaches get close to players

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT — Rookie camp has a slightly different look this year for the Everett Silvertips.

With fewer players in camp this year, there are fewer scrimmages each day. As a result, the Tips have been able to incorporate practice sessions into the program, allowing the coaching staff the type of hands-on work with the rookies not afforded in the past.

Previous rookie camps consisted strictly of scrimmages. With scouts behind the benches serving as coaches, there was usually little or no hockey-related contact between the coaches and players. The new format changes that.

"It's a teaching process and what we're trying to do is give them a little more personal contact with the coaches," Everett coach John Becanic explained. "I think it gives them the opportunity to see what we're like, and hopefully the players will get used to our temperment on the ice and what we expect from them."

The way it works is each of the three teams of rookies has one morning and one afternoon session each day. Two of the teams have one scrimmage and one practice, while the third plays two scrimmages.

"I enjoy it, personally," said defenseman Paul Sohor, who also went through the scrimmage-only rookie camp last year. "I think getting warmed up before a game, or even after a skate for getting the lactic acid out, is good. We learn more things and I really like it."

During the practice the coaches run the players through several of the drills the Tips use throughout the year.

Of course, learning the drills on the fly isn't always going to go smoothly. On more than one occasion players found themselves flying down the ice — in the wrong direction.

"This lets us see whether the the kids can think after being told to do something," Becanic said. "Can they get that information and translate it into how they play? It's always a challenge."

And what does Sohor think of the occasional confusion: "It's good. It tests our mindset and where our head's at. If we're not listening then we screw up the drill and that makes everyone look bad."

Local flavor: Every year a handful of locals are invited to rookie camp. This year that group includes forwards Brian Safstrom, Colin Hoffman, Kevin Spotts, Josh Twietmeyer and Ryan Doner, and defensemen Ryan Maul and Alex Tindall.

And every year the contriutions of the locals become more and more noticable.

"There were several local kids who I really think are representing themselves well," Becanic said. "I think that says a lot for Everett Youth Hockey and Seattle Junior Hockey, that they're starting to develop some good young players. I think that in itself is something positive because the stronger youth hockey is here, the more it helps both ourselves and the (Seattle) Thunderbirds.

In particular among the locals, Spotts showed great hustle and energy, while Doner flashed nice skills. But everyone looked like they belonged.

"I've been going to Tips games for a while," said Tindall, who resides in Edmonds. "It's a great atmosphere. The intensity that the Tips bring really inspires me to come out here and do my best. The way they've been winning the past few years makes me want to go out there and be a Tip."

California mining: Markus McCrae wasn't a marquee name when the 2007 bantam draft came around. His name went uncalled for more than five rounds, and even the Tips waited until their eighth pick to select the forward from Canyon Lake, Calif.

But based on the first couple days of rookie camp, it looks as though Everett may have unearthed a gem. McCrae has been an impact player during the first two days of camp, not bad for a sixth-round pick.

"I thought I wasn't going to do very well because of all these older guys," McCrae said. "But I kept my confidence up and I'm doing pretty well."

Day 2 notes: Byron Froese put on a show in Friday's afternoon scrimmage by scoring four goals, including one with seconds remaining that earned Team White a 5-5 tie against Team Red. The 16-year-old forward leads camp with seven goals and eight points. ... In the morning contest Kellan Tochkin broke out in the second half to lead Team Blue to a 7-3 victory over Team White.