PDA

View Full Version : Mike Cann

Brandonite
08-26-2007, 10:23 AM
Does anyone know where this guy has winded up? He played a bit last year for Red Deer before finishing off playing Junior B. Is he participating in any Dub camps or anything like that?

Triton
08-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Who cares. I mean this guy was brutal and one huge ass bust. It is unfortunate that things didn't pan out for him in this league. What is it with this team and busts. Topilko didn't do a lick until last season, Cann, Robinson, Hallick ect.

SectionNDeserter
08-26-2007, 11:50 AM
I am sure there have been bigger busts taken in the 1st round in the Bantam draft, but I don't remember too many being bigger than him. He had a pretty good release from the point, but his skating/conditioning and his positional play were so horrible that he often didn't look like he belonged out there. I have also heard that he had a pile of off-ice issues surrounding him as well.

Brandonite
08-26-2007, 12:23 PM
Yeah I gotta agree with Triton...he was a massive bust for Brandon and never worked out anywhere he went! I mean what like 5 teams in like 2 seasons, thats wild and something for sure had to be up! I didnt think he was as bad as everyone made him out to be but obviously something didnt work out because he played under McCrimmon here and Sutter in Red Deer and neither wanted him so obviously something didnt work to end up in JR B of all things! I still never woulda thought that....Brandon does seem to get the most busts....Topilko for sure!!

Brandonite
08-26-2007, 12:24 PM
I heard the off ice issues thing too...wasnt sure what they were but yeah I heard that too

Triton
08-26-2007, 02:21 PM
I heard the off ice issues thing too...wasnt sure what they were but yeah I heard that too

Million dollar body....10 cent head.

Brandonite
08-26-2007, 02:35 PM
lol Im lost on that one! Sorry man

RDRebelsfan
08-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I saw Cann last year both on the Rebs and in the HJHL (junior B league) since I work for one of the teams in the league. Definately wasn't suited for the WHL, he did look good for junior B, but even then there was some other junior b players who looked like they could've gone further than he did.

Brandonite
08-26-2007, 07:27 PM
and that is absolute brutal...words cannot describe how bad that is! He was a 1st round pick! Not a 10th..but a 1st!! Junior B is an embaressment to his career considering what shoulda been! I am very surprised to hear that he wasnt great down there neither, wow talk about a guy who literally hit the ground quick!!

neutral
08-27-2007, 08:34 AM
and that is absolute brutal...words cannot describe how bad that is! He was a 1st round pick! Not a 10th..but a 1st!! Junior B is an embaressment to his career considering what shoulda been! I am very surprised to hear that he wasnt great down there neither, wow talk about a guy who literally hit the ground quick!!

My response is relative to the draft in general, not the individual player. He was doing what he could, but the way the draft works puts unrealistic expectations of young kids who are drafted inappropriately.

In that particular draft year, there were 4 players drafted off of the same Bantam team in the first round. 6 - Swystun, 10 - Glass, 14 - McCrae, 18 - Cann. There may have been a couple of others in other rounds like 27 - McCue and 2 other late rounders. This Bantam team was amazing and may have resulted in several players being ranked too high as a rusult of playing with several other good players.

Also, defense is a tough position. Just look at all the posts asking for a good d-man. There are many examples of highly ranked d-men from this draft year that have struggled. Again, not necessarily their issue, but likely the result of drafting kids too young. Besides Cann, look at Panchysun, Mazurek, and Thunderchild.

Please, do not place emphasis on the names of these young players. My comments are about the draft in general. Predicting how a 14 year old d-man will play in the WHL as an 18-19 year old in a gamble at best.

Brandonite
08-27-2007, 03:32 PM
We are all fans and we all have the right to say what we want! Thats what fans do and thats how every sport is! We all know he never hit expectations and it gives us something to talk about! He just an example, if you wanna talk about other players struggling in their careers then go ahead and I might even join the convo but its just a message board, dont let it get you over worked!!! Hes a former Wheat King who never worked out so yes we are going to discuss it...thats just how it is!!

neutral
08-27-2007, 06:14 PM
We are all fans and we all have the right to say what we want! Thats what fans do and thats how every sport is! We all know he never hit expectations and it gives us something to talk about! He just an example, if you wanna talk about other players struggling in their careers then go ahead and I might even join the convo but its just a message board, dont let it get you over worked!!! Hes a former Wheat King who never worked out so yes we are going to discuss it...thats just how it is!!

You are right. We all have a right to say what we want. And that is all I did. I didn't even know I was "over worked", although I could use another week's vacation. Just sharing my thoughts which happened to be different from yours. If this got you "over worked", sorry about that. No offense intended.

Brandonite
08-27-2007, 06:56 PM
Must be hockey season!