PDA

View Full Version : tough decesions ahead for warriors, which makes a very interesting year

wardog fan
08-27-2007, 09:12 PM
after attending camp and tonights black and white game the future for the warriors is very bright on the ice. quinton howden is as advertised and more, his size and skating as a 15 year fit right in tonight and all weekend , cant wait for another year of maturing and size from this future star. not only howden but other 92 born players such as weal, pirio, macmaster, and goalie glover all impressed me alot. as for the team. i cut my team done to 5 goalies and 7 dmen and a astounding 17 forwards. our vet core of forwards will be the toughest choices for the warrior brass. youngsters such as smith, sommers, maylen, reinbolt(who totally impressed me tonight with his skating ability, mckay, and dman miller all should get a closer look during exibition season play. i would like to think the team will break into the regular season with one if not two or three of these guys. but then again with such a vet team it will be tough but these guys deserve to be in the dub. the euro sitiution is not clear for me , filo by far is the better of the two and i see some very big numbers for this kid, karpov is not ready but will the team send him back ??
our defense concerns me the most we are young and mobile but lack that consistant stay home guy. the goalies i think willows made a strong case tonight and last year during camp that he belongs, perricone and jory did not play tonight and will battle for number one during ex play , jebson and matthews i believe will battle willows for number two. but i dont think the brass will keep 5 goalies for ex play, and matthews will be the odd guy out .

the forwards look awesome, filo and knackstedt and holzapel stole the show for me all weekend. bast , calla, reese and nyren all looked great as well. delarande is going to be a great addition his size and skill and leadership helps out a ton. i think guys like prokop , reige (who looks good as well) , grecica and voytechek are guys fighting for spots on this team at the moment. grantham was tried out at dman but not sure if that will work and he will be forced to battle for a forward spot, and he has looked great as well but was hurt yesterday??? it is a good tough decesion here in the jaw, and let me say that lang and his coaching and scouting staffs deserve a thumbs up from this fan and many in attentence tonight as those kids on our protective list looked great . high expectations again in the jaw and i think we have one of the best offensive teams in the league hands down...if anyone wants to disbute that come and watch these guys play, this team should be able to send at anyone 3 soild 2 way , high octane speed and goal scoring skill with size.
very excited about the up coming year in the jaw......

Team White Beats Team Black 7-5 in Warriors' Black & White game.

Scoring summary/stats (unofficial)

First Period

WHITE: Martin Filo (Riley Holzapfel)

BLACK: Jordan Knackstedt (Brady Calla)

BLACK: Terrance Delarond (Tomas Karpov)

BLACK: Jordan Knackstedt 2 (Jason Bast, Brady Calla)

Second Period

WHITE: Riley Holzapfel (Jason Reese)

WHITE: Riley Holzapfel 2 (Martin Filo)

WHITE: Martin Filo

Third Period

WHITE: Riley Holzapfel 3

WHITE: Neal Prokop (Brad Reige)

BLACK: Jeff Lane

WHITE: Riley Holzapfel 4 (Jason Reese)

BLACK: Brian Sommers (Tomas Karpov)

WHITE

Holzapfel: 4-1-5

Filo: 2-1-3

Reese: 0-2-2

Prokop: 1-0-1

Reige: 0-1-1

BLACK

Knackstedt: 2-0-2

Calla: 0-2-2

Karpov: 0-2-2

Bast: 0-1-1

Delaronde: 1-0-1

Lane: 1-0-1

Sommers: 1-0-1

Team White Goalies:

Jebson: 3 GA

Glover: 2 GA

Team Black Goalies:

Willows: 3 GA

Matthews: 4 GA

wardog fan
08-28-2007, 11:55 AM
The Moose Jaw Warriors’ Black-White game didn’t clear up too many grey areas Monday night.
The annual intrasquad game saw a lot of players on the bubble putting in good performances as they vie to crack the WHL club’s roster. The Warriors made a round of cuts following the game, but as they exit training camp and head into the pre-season the decisions aren’t getting any easier.
“There are a lot of players in the system who are very good hockey players,” said Warriors veteran forward Riley Holzapfel. “It was really competitive out there all weekend.”
While there is room on the roster for some rookie defencemen and decisions to be made on both the starting and backup goaltending spot, the biggest battle is brewing up front.
The Warriors have 11 returning forwards. Add 20-year-old Terrance Delaronde, Europeans Tomas Karpov and Martin Filo plus a group of hopeful 16-year-olds — including first round Bantam pick Justin Maylan — and all of the forwards have been on their toes at camp.
“I was impressed with the way a lot of guys showed up,” said Warriors veteran centre Jason Bast. “The camp was really competitive. We picked up a lot of good players and we did push each other all week.”
The coaching staff had been very happy with the intensity and effort in camp during the weekend, but new head coach Dave Hunchak was disappointed in the way the players started the Black-White game.
“I wasn’t happy with that first period,” said Hunchak. “From the way the intensity and competitiveness was throughout camp I expected it to take another step up and in the first period it didn’t.
“We addressed it and full marks to the players for stepping up and raising the bar — so to speak — with what our expectations are as a staff as far as competing and the work ethic side of things.”
The tempo and intensity increased in the final two periods despite numerous penalties hindering the flow of the game.
White beat Black 7-5 in front of 598 people as Holzapfel tallied four goals and an assist. Filo added a pair of goals including one where he dove to block a shot at his own blue line and recovered quickly to score on a breakaway. The top line accounted for six goals and Jason Reese had three assists. Neal Prokop also scored for White.
Black took a 3-1 lead early as 20-year-olds Delaronde and Keith Voytechek scored along with Jordan Knackstedt. Karpov had a pair of assists including a nice feed to Brian Sommers for a goal. Six-foot-seven Whitehorse native Jordan Lane also scored for Black.
The Warriors used four goalies, with Kevin Jebson being the busiest of the bunch. He and Brett Willows each allowed three goals, while Todd Mathews allowed four as White poured it on in the second half. Brandon Glover, a 15-year-old taken 116th overall in the 2007 Bantam Draft, only gave up two goals and made 11 saves while earning the win.
While the chemistry experiments are just beginning, some of the lines looked to be clicking. Filo, Reese and Holzapfel’s numbers speak for themselves, while Bast and Knackstedt paired well with Brady Calla who had two assists. Karpov also centred the two 20-year-olds.
“One thing that’s a blessing for us right now is that we have options up front,” said Hunchak. “We have a variety of combinations we can put together with skill and grit. It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks here in regards to who works well with who and gives us the best chance night-in and night-out to win.”
The Warriors begin the exhibition season with a game in Prince Albert Wednesday. Hunchak expects to dress the youngest lineup he can to make a few more decisions before Friday’s first home exhibition game against Prince Albert.

Triton
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
Is Brett Slobodzian in camp?

wardog fan
08-28-2007, 01:01 PM
ya there was two of those players with that same last name on friday with the rookies. not sure what happened with them but they did not play in the intrasquad game

madman
08-28-2007, 04:21 PM
Does anyone have a training camp roster they could post?