PDA

View Full Version : Only Giant games on the radio are Saturday and Sunday games

N.W. Bruin
08-28-2007, 04:13 PM
Monday to Thursday are on the websites of CKNW and sister stations but not broadcasted. Friday night games are on BCIT radio station which is only heard in Burnaby (see second following paragraph).

CFML-FM is the campus radio station of the British Columbia Institute of Technology in Burnaby, British Columbia, Canada. The station began broadcasting in January of 1982 on cable FM at 104.5 MHz. On March 7, 2006, the station became Evolution 107.9 FM upon the launch of its new location on the FM dial at 107.9 MHz.

The station's transmitter, located on the Metrotown towers in Burnaby, is licenced for 5 watts ERP. The signal can now be heard on cable and on the FM dial. Its FM signal reaches mainly within the Burnaby city limits at the moment. The music format is adult album alternative and consists mostly of independent, rock, and adult alternative. It is staffed by second year students in the Broadcast & Media Communications: Radio Program.

The station uses the on-air brand name Evolution 107.9.

Giantsfan
08-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I was just talkin' to a friend of mine who works at 730 & he was saying that even before the contract ran out, they were getting bombarded with callers complaining about traffic info they weren't receiving because the game was being broadcast, & the all traffic format is doing really good & they are sticking with it.
This is really LAME, considering they have been the most successful CHL team over the last 2 seasons, & they don't have a decent radio station who will carry all the games. For one of the largest cities in North America, Vancouver HAS TO BE the worst for radio whether it be on air staff or just terrible talk radio. I've mentioned this before, but the TEAM is unbearable, their complete lack of interest in anything other than Lions or Canucks is a joke, & Rick Ball has to be the worst broadcaster in Canada.

Priceisright
08-28-2007, 08:18 PM
I agree with previous post. For such a successful team and organization why in the world doesn't one station carry their games??

Quite shocking. Luckily I will be at most of them LIVE but none the less shocked about this business decision.

Whose at fault? Giants? Radio?

dondo
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Sadly, the Giants are making themselves look pretty low-rent here.

I believe its a combination of things, but primarily the fact that the Giants severely lack a qualified, trained and experienced marketing/PR person who would have these kinds of things first and foremost on their list, not way down the bottom under how many hot dogs to order for the cafeteria.

This exemplifies to me how poorly the Giants market themselves and the huge hole they have in that department. If they want to be taken seriously as a business they need to hire and pay real money to someone who does this for a living and is a professional.. not clerk number 4, an over-worked Joey and assorted goofs.

Giantsfan
08-29-2007, 12:53 AM
I agree with previous post. For such a successful team and organization why in the world doesn't one station carry their games??

Quite shocking. Luckily I will be at most of them LIVE but none the less shocked about this business decision.

Whose at fault? Giants? Radio?

I am season ticket holder & go to all the home games & many close road games, but how are we supposed to follow the team when they are on those Eastern & Central road trips with no station? Sure there is the option of the Web cast, but seriously, I don't want to sit in front of my computer watching every game. I have a life, & quite enjoyed listening to the games while puttering around the house & also, what about the games during the week? Is there going to be any pre & post game shows that you can actually pick up on the car stereo? It doesn't come in my car & I live in Langley.
I agree that this is a terrible decision they have made & does make them look cheap, which Toigo definitely isn't. I'm very disappointed in this decision & agree that this could have been marketed much better & does anyone know how long this deal is in place for?
This is appalling & for all the amount of marketing they did to pump up the Memorial Cup & to now have it down to a Metrotown radio station is such a slap in the face to the loyal fans who love listening to the post games shows after every game not just weekend games. They are making a huge mistake because you don't bring in new fans if they can't hear the product they are trying to promote. This isn't Chilliwack, (no offense to their fans) where their post game show is over before you get to your car. This is Vancouver, a HUGE market, & mickey mouse is running the radio. It's sad when Chilliwack a first year WHL team has better concessions than the Giants, who basically have the same food that the Canucks had back in 1995. I know the concessions are not the fault of the Giants, it is run by the PNE but it doesn't change the fact that it's just brutal! You can't be a first rate team just part of the time. Toigo has done great things for this team, from new score clocks & renos to a entire training facility. Most things are first rate but this is such low budget last minute half ass planning. They should have seen this coming last season, & if they didn't, this reflects poorly on them.

Section_Z
08-30-2007, 11:12 PM
I agree. Not having a decent radio deal sucks. It's bad for the team. Period.
On a positive note I can pick up Evolution in my Truck on the Westside and in Richmond. I can not on my home stereo however...So with a good reciever...maybe you'll get lucky.

Priceisright
08-31-2007, 06:49 AM
??? Evolution?? :spineyes:

What's that all about?

Thanks

Giantsfan
08-31-2007, 06:55 AM
It's all about a station that can't be reached. Brutal!

dondo
09-01-2007, 12:13 AM
according to scuttlebutt one of the contributing factors here is Toigo's loyalty to NW. The rumour is that a complete deal could have been done with some other radio station, but Toigo wanted to give NW whatever they could handle.

Frankly I think if NW can't take on the whole enchilada then the team needs to go elsewhere, but you've gotta admire Toigo's loyalty.

Giantsfan
09-01-2007, 12:56 AM
Dan Russell is the only talk host in Vancouver who talks Giants & WHL hockey at all. It's a complete embarrassment that the TEAM can't even get the player's names right when or if they even report the score.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Dan Russell is the only talk host in Vancouver who talks Giants & WHL hockey at all. It's a complete embarrassment that the TEAM can't even get the player's names right when or if they even report the score.
Russell is basically the only guy who doesn't talk down about junior hockey. The rest of them are NHL-or-bust, like discussing WHL hockey is beneath them. Moj kinda knows what's going on, but everyone else at the Team is clueless.

Giantsfan
09-01-2007, 03:57 PM
Yes exactly. Rick Ball will sometime mention that he was the Rocket's play by play guy for a couple of seasons but he NEVER talks jr. hockey & I don't think he likes it at all. He's a piece of sh*t, & should've been fired ages ago. Mojo talks about it breifly, & Lee Powell, did yesterday for a little bit. Russell knows what's goin on, & throughout the season, will have guests on from other Dub cities, & will talk about it anytime, not just when a tournament is on. The difference is, Russell cares about jr. hockey & doesn't kiss the Canuck brass's ass. There is a reason why he has the longest running sports talk show in Canada & a large reason why the TEAM's ratings are always in the basement.

Colin
09-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Despite being a BCIT student, I've never listened to Evolution for more than a minute or two... but I do know that you can listen to it online through their website - http://www.evolution1079.com/

sman111
09-16-2007, 06:12 PM
Dan Russell is a dumb ass I can't stand that guy, the less I hear of him the better. I don't kow what you guys are talkin about but Pratt and Taylor talk giants usually in the high 5 and every friday the have Don Hay on the show, obviously there could be more. My buddy used to work at CFML and I know that when i tried before to listen that I could barely get a signal in POCO so that is definatley a budget move to bring in a bunch of amatuers to call these games. Now are they gonna be broadcasting road games cause I can't see BCIT sending students to Moose Jaw.

GF71
09-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Dan Russell is a dumb ass I can't stand that guy, the less I hear of him the better. I don't kow what you guys are talkin about but Pratt and Taylor talk giants usually in the high 5 and every friday the have Don Hay on the show, obviously there could be more. My buddy used to work at CFML and I know that when i tried before to listen that I could barely get a signal in POCO so that is definatley a budget move to bring in a bunch of amatuers to call these games. Now are they gonna be broadcasting road games cause I can't see BCIT sending students to Moose Jaw.

Joey is still doing all the play by play...the BCIT station is just carrying the games.

Kassian
09-16-2007, 10:09 PM
Dan Russell is a dumb ass I can't stand that guy, the less I hear of him the better. I don't kow what you guys are talkin about but Pratt and Taylor talk giants usually in the high 5 and every friday the have Don Hay on the show

Compared to those two clowns Russell is a genius. Sometimes I disagree with Russell (and Wilms) but they do know their stuff when it comes to junior hockey.

dondo
09-17-2007, 01:58 AM
Russell seriously sucks at play by play .. I get very irritated listening to his voice

Giantsfan
09-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Russell is a good play by play announcer for hockey. He gets excited at the right times & really loves a good tilt. Compared to the rest of the pack, Russell is the Danny Gallivan of the DUB.

For the guy who said they like the TEAM, I don't know what you are talking about! Their sessions with Don Hay are about 2 minutes max, & they don't talk Giants hockey almost ever unless it has to do with Grabner, (Canuck's pick) coming to town. That station continues to be nothing but Canucks or Lions. They don't give 2 sh*ts about junior hockey & as Knuckles Muldoon said, it's beneath them.
Sman111, unless you love the Canucks & hate the Giants, why would you listen to the TEAM? They have some of the most uninformed hosts, & terrible predictable shows. Once they got the rights to the Canucks, it was like they entire staff did a complete ass kissing to everything & everyone on the Canucks hockey club. They won't be in any way controversial & it's sickening to listen to. At least Russell isn't afraid to ruffle a few feathers & he is about the only host to constantly slam the NHL & praise the WHL. He's refreshing, & doesn't hold back for his hatred for the "new" pussified No Hit Leaugue.

Kassian
09-17-2007, 02:47 AM
Russell seriously sucks at play by play .. I get very irritated listening to his voice

He's no worse than Peter Loubardias. Or half of the other play by play guys out there. pAt least Russell is pretty straight forward and he isn't afraid to speak his mind even if it isn't popular or politically correct. I'd much rather listen to someone like him than some of the idiots that work the NHL games.

C.F
09-18-2007, 03:05 PM
Though it is refreshing to hear a sports radio host talk about junior hockey, listening to Dan Russell spew the same pessimistic crap every single night is almost unbearable. Even when he does talk about junior hockey, he still has to incorporate his hatred towards the "new NHL" into the majority of his conversation. I agree with some of his points(though I am still an avid NHL fan), it gets tiresome after a while.

Besides a few oldtimers who's memories are too short to realize every single show of his is essentially the same, I didn't know there are still others out there that actually like him. :confused:

For the most part, the people who cover sports in this town are pretty bad.

dondo
09-19-2007, 08:35 PM
no I don't agree -- Dan spends most his time stumbling over names, and does not really have strong flow to his patter. Also listen to him call a game and watch the play, if he was doing it on radio only you'd miss half the game. Do the same with Joey, or even Shorty and the play pretty much reflects what is being said.

Russell is a lazy play by play guy imo.. and although Lombardias is not my favorite I still say he's better than Russell at being able to follow the flow of the game and reflect was in actually happening on the ice..

Its not an easy gig by any stretch and its an acquired skill, but I don't think its Dan's strength even though he's done it for years. I actually find it rather frustrating listening to Dan call a game.

Kassian
09-19-2007, 09:56 PM
Even when he does talk about junior hockey, he still has to incorporate his hatred towards the "new NHL" into the majority of his conversation. I agree with some of his points(though I am still an avid NHL fan), it gets tiresome after a while.

Well he's bang on regarding the NHL. I look at it from another point of view. It's nice to hear someone speak the truth and not drink all of Bettman's kool-aid on how "great" and "exciting" the new NHL is when it isn't. The game is a shell of what it used to be.

sman111
09-20-2007, 03:32 PM
Well he's bang on regarding the NHL. I look at it from another point of view. It's nice to hear someone speak the truth and not drink all of Bettman's kool-aid on how "great" and "exciting" the new NHL is when it isn't. The game is a shell of what it used to be.
I can't think of any talk show out there that "drinks Bettman's kool aid" all show bash him and say how he's let the league go to s***. Dan Russell just bash's the NHL because it past him by when the canucks hired Shorthouse as there play by play guy, and he's still bitter over that, that's why he hates the NHL. And while Im at it Neil McRae can shut up aswell.

rinkrat
09-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Dan Russell just bash's the NHL because it past him by when the canucks hired Shorthouse as there play by play guy, and he's still bitter over that, that's why he hates the NHL.

And you're just bitter cause you get sucked in to dropping C notes to watch crap hockey and listen to corporate rhetoric. :D

Kassian
09-20-2007, 05:25 PM
I can't think of any talk show out there that "drinks Bettman's kool aid"

Um...hello? For starters how about the TEAM 1040. Perfect example. I'm not saying they all praise Gary Bettman but they certainly pretend that the NHL is "great and beautiful" and how it's so "exciting" when the fact is the game SUCKS. It's never been worse. I'd rather see more clutching and grabbing than a whistle every 30 seconds for a weak "hooking" penalty. I won't even get into all the diving that goes on....

Dan Russell just bash's the NHL because it past him by when the canucks hired Shorthouse as there play by play guy, and he's still bitter over that, that's why he hates the NHL. And while Im at it Neil McRae can shut up aswell.

Maybe he is still bitter. I don't know. Either way I don't think that's the reason why he hates the NHL. He hates the NHL because the product is terrible. He's certainly not alone as far as that goes. The ratings speak for them self.

Giantsfan
09-20-2007, 05:37 PM
I highly doubt Russell is bitter about not getting the play by play gig for the Canucks. He's got a sweet gig that pays him well & the reason he speaks out against the NHL is because he knows it's run by an idiot, & knows the game played today isn't "true" hockey, it's speed skating on ice. The game has been ruined & Russell has the balls to speak his mind, whereas anyone else tows the party line about how great the NHL is, when it fact, the empty arenas show what the real truth is. Bettman can spew his lies about "these surveys" & nobody has the balls to call him on it, especially nobody on the TEAM. They think the game is as great as it's ever been when it fact it's unwatchable. If you like a game that is all skating, no body contact & full of Euros & power plays, then the NHL is for you. I don't support the NHL, because it's not real hockey. The DUB is what hockey is supposed to be, aggressive, full of rivalries, entertaining & affordable. The No Hit League isn't any of these.

sman111
09-20-2007, 08:35 PM
And you're just bitter cause you get sucked in to dropping C notes to watch crap hockey and listen to corporate rhetoric. :D
The only C notes that I spend on hockey tickets are for my Giants season tickets and I'm not bitter about that.
Which show on the Team supports Bettman cause from what I listend to I don't hear it. I guess that you guys just listen to more of the Team then I do.

Smalltime
09-21-2007, 11:59 AM
The only C notes that I spend on hockey tickets are for my Giants season tickets and I'm not bitter about that.
Which show on the Team supports Bettman cause from what I listend to I don't hear it. I guess that you guys just listen to more of the Team then I do.

Gotta agree with this one... I listen to the Team and I don't hear much love for Bettmen at all. I also don't think there's been a lot of praise for the so called new NHL. I get that they like the idea of a more open game with fewer obstructions and all that, but most personalities I heard were decidedly unimpressed with the defensive style of hockey that has become so dominant in the NHL.

Knuckles Muldoon
09-21-2007, 01:27 PM
I highly doubt Russell is bitter about not getting the play by play gig for the Canucks. He's got a sweet gig that pays him well & the reason he speaks out against the NHL is because he knows it's run by an idiot, & knows the game played today isn't "true" hockey, it's speed skating on ice. The game has been ruined & Russell has the balls to speak his mind, whereas anyone else tows the party line about how great the NHL is, when it fact, the empty arenas show what the real truth is. Bettman can spew his lies about "these surveys" & nobody has the balls to call him on it, especially nobody on the TEAM. They think the game is as great as it's ever been when it fact it's unwatchable.

1. Wrong. Russell was, and is, bitter about not getting the chance to be PBP man when Shorty got the job.
2. He's right about the NHL, IMO. It's everything he says it is, from circus-time to NoHitLeague. Anybody affiliated with the NHL won't say it, because they know where their bread is buttered. But Dan doesn't care. He's a maverick and doesn't have to kiss up anyone's backside anymore.

Giantsfan
09-21-2007, 02:25 PM
Gotta agree with this one... I listen to the Team and I don't hear much love for Bettmen at all. I also don't think there's been a lot of praise for the so called new NHL. I get that they like the idea of a more open game with fewer obstructions and all that, but most personalities I heard were decidedly unimpressed with the defensive style of hockey that has become so dominant in the NHL.

I disagree that they are unimpressed with the devensive style of the Canucks. As long as the Canucks are winning, everything is wonderful & exciting. The game couldn't be more boring. They will never admit this. They have admitted to not liking the Canucks uniforms, but this station doesn't look at the Canucks objectively, they only look at them 1 way, everything is wonderful. There also has been a TON of praise for the "new" NHL. All their hosts continually bash the "old" NHL, saying games used to take 4 hours & they make it sound as if before the lockout obstruction slowed the game down & it was out of control. What he doesn't mention, is that there are no rivalries anymore, no flow to any games because of the constant penalties called, & that games are no more higher scoring than before the lockout. They also slam anyone who is considered a policeman, such as Laraque, Brashear, Boogaard etc...always saying that the game has evolved & you don't need players like that in "today's" league. They also never mention about how empty the buildings are around the NHL, Russell always makes a point about that. House radio is garbage because there is no objectivity to the station hosts. They don't criticize Bettman almost at all. Mostly the callers do, while the hosts has his finger on the cut off button waiting for you to say something they disagree with. Pratt is the worst for that. They cut people off before you even get your full question out & then they slam you of course you have no chance to respond. Pratt is the worst for that, but Ball is brutal as well. He always mentions how terrible the game was before the lockout, but he fails to mention how empty the arenas are, & how the TV ratings are at an alltime low. He guests are brutal as well. Pierre Maguire & especially Ray Ferarro are so against any fighting that's repulsive to listen to. Two guys who couldn't lick a stamp constantly bashing fighting. I hate that station so much because they tow the party line & as media, they are brutal because they think the game has improved by leaps & bounds when in fact, it's as bad as ever.

Giantsfan
09-21-2007, 02:32 PM
1. Wrong. Russell was, and is, bitter about not getting the chance to be PBP man when Shorty got the job.
2. He's right about the NHL, IMO. It's everything he says it is, from circus-time to NoHitLeague. Anybody affiliated with the NHL won't say it, because they know where their bread is buttered. But Dan doesn't care. He's a maverick and doesn't have to kiss up anyone's backside anymore.

While Russell may have been bitter at one time, Shorty has been doing the job for about 8 or 9 years now. I'm sure his bitterness has subsided by now.

Also, Tom Larschied has to go. He's made a fool of himself trying to recreate his image by trying to be funny or hip. Singing about Luongo, & giggling like a school girl. Any respect I had for him is gone. Jim Robson was such a professional at his job, & it's a damn shame to see these incompetent goofs calling the games now but I guess it doesn't really matter because the game has been destroyed beyond repair & is unwatchable. I listen to many of the games on the radio when I am working at night.

dondo
09-21-2007, 08:21 PM
Shorty calls an excellent game, and Larschied is just thwe homer and goof we all expect him to be. If you are expecting hockey-related revelations from Larchsie then you really aren't getting it.

I like Joey and am very disappointed that the Giants are not being covered by a real station for the away games. I also think Joey should be the pbp guy for the Shaw broadcasts.

Last night I listened to Dan calling the game (KTY vs EDM) again and I tuned out for most of it. I just don't like how he calls games, never have and probably never will. Not a bad game all in all, although that last minute goal was beaucoup lame.... gave the home team a win they really didn't earn imo.

Smalltime
09-21-2007, 08:28 PM
I disagree that they are unimpressed with the devensive style of the Canucks. As long as the Canucks are winning, everything is wonderful & exciting. The game couldn't be more boring. They will never admit this. They have admitted to not liking the Canucks uniforms, but this station doesn't look at the Canucks objectively, they only look at them 1 way, everything is wonderful. There also has been a TON of praise for the "new" NHL. All their hosts continually bash the "old" NHL, saying games used to take 4 hours & they make it sound as if before the lockout obstruction slowed the game down & it was out of control. What he doesn't mention, is that there are no rivalries anymore, no flow to any games because of the constant penalties called, & that games are no more higher scoring than before the lockout. They also slam anyone who is considered a policeman, such as Laraque, Brashear, Boogaard etc...always saying that the game has evolved & you don't need players like that in "today's" league. They also never mention about how empty the buildings are around the NHL, Russell always makes a point about that. House radio is garbage because there is no objectivity to the station hosts. They don't criticize Bettman almost at all. Mostly the callers do, while the hosts has his finger on the cut off button waiting for you to say something they disagree with. Pratt is the worst for that. They cut people off before you even get your full question out & then they slam you of course you have no chance to respond. Pratt is the worst for that, but Ball is brutal as well. He always mentions how terrible the game was before the lockout, but he fails to mention how empty the arenas are, & how the TV ratings are at an alltime low. He guests are brutal as well. Pierre Maguire & especially Ray Ferarro are so against any fighting that's repulsive to listen to. Two guys who couldn't lick a stamp constantly bashing fighting. I hate that station so much because they tow the party line & as media, they are brutal because they think the game has improved by leaps & bounds when in fact, it's as bad as ever.

From what I understand, the enforcers they have a problem with are the ones who have no other skills in the game because they are too much of a liability. Unlike the Cowens and Bieksas. And I didn't mean to imply that they see the canucks as playing a defensive style necessarily. I mean the style that almost all of the successful teams play. It's sophisticated trapping and it's proven successful in New Jersey and Anaheim, etc. That's what takes the flow out of the game in my opinion... not the penalties. I think Canucks like Naslund last year got noticed for their so-called sacrifice of becoming more defensively responsable and thus not being able to put up bigger offensive numbers. It's not as exciting but it's more successful than the all-out offense of other teams.

The Giants just seem to be able to have it both ways. Good on them.

Giantsfan
09-21-2007, 11:13 PM
You say that they have a problem mainly with the enforcers that are there only to fight & have no skills?

To get to the NHL, these players have skill. You actually believe that say Colton Orr or Eric Godard with the amount of icetime Alex Burrow had last season, couldn't have had more than 3 goals? Burrows had 3 goals last season & is a complete *****. Sure he kills penalties but so can anyone if they get the opportunity. What kills me is the idea that Orr (for example) can't play the game! Hell, maybe he's not the fastest skater on the team, but neither were either of the sisters when they arrived. Guys like Burrows are a dime a dozen, & shouldn't be in the NHL. Godard or Orr, or whoever brings an element that none of the Canucks have. They can protect teammates & skate on a 4th line as well as anyone. How much icetime does a 4th liner get anyways? Maybe 3-5 minutes per game. Ya, so no one can convince me that a 4th liner whether it be Orr or Isbister is going to make any difference if the Canucks make or miss the playoffs. This is why I have such a problem with pacifists. They think that having an enforcer is such a terrible idea, yet the Ducks had by far the most fighting majors in the league & won the Stanley Cup. The NHL completely missed the boat. They should promote fighting & physical play because it's part of the game, & the most entertaining part of the game. Nobody is leaving their seats during a fight & MMA or UFC are the fastest rising sports & why do you think that is? Because everyone likes a fight!

dondo
09-22-2007, 01:30 AM
pretty much impossible getting a link or access to the BCIT radio station on-line. This really, really sucks. Anybody know if either the Giiats or BCIT is going to smarten up and make it conducive to accessing the games on the 'net or on the radio station?

GF71
09-23-2007, 02:56 AM
I posted this on the beat a few weeks ago. Not that it will change anything, but maybe it will shed a bit of light onto things??

I have been meaing to do this post for a couple of weeks, so sorry for the delay...

I like most of you am pretty upset with the radio situation for this coming season. I talked with a couple of people in the front office and here is what I was told in a nutshell...

We as fans have had it pretty good for the last few seasons with every game being broadcast on the radio, on 730AM. Firstly it was 730's decision not to renew the radio contract. They are experiencing quite a bit of success with the all traffic format and are not willing to deviate from that. In fact whenever there was a Giants game on the radio they would get a large amount of complaints from listeners. The deal with 730 was up and the Giants were left without a radio deal. 1130AM was approached and again, they were not willing to deviate from their all news format. Other stations were interested and approached but the coverage was not what the Giants were looking for. Team 1040 for expample was interested but would only air the Giants IF there was no canucks games, or no Lions games. This would also include pre and post game shows as well. But they would have streaming audio of all the games, which means you would have to sit at your computer, which sucks. (This is what Chilliwack's deal is with the 1040). We have to remember that Vancouver is a major media market and the Giants are pretty much third on the list, at best as far as joe average sports fan in Vancouver is concerned. (yes it hurts to say it, but it is the reality)Advertisers want to spend their money where the most listeners are...canucks games, lions games, all news, all traffic, etc.

So the Giants were in a bit of a pickle. They lost full radio coverage and now need to get exposure to as many people in the best way possible. There is not a bigger radio station in BC, than NW98. They by far and away have the largest reach. They were interested and the agreement that the settled on was to carry live all weekend games, (Saturday and Sunday) and all playoff games. They were unwilling to break into their all talk format during the week. So this gets the Giants on to more people than they have ever been to on the radio, but only on the weekends. Corus radio, the owners of many of the radio stations in Vancouver and a huge media outlet were willing to have streaming audio for all of the games. This is ok, so long as you want to sit at your computer to listen to a game. The best they could do to get REGULAR coverage of any non weekend games was to sign on with BCIT's station 107.9 FM. While the reach is quite limited (try to get it on your home stereo or in your car)it at least offers us fans the chance to listen to Friday games on the radio...if you can tune it in. The team knows that fans will be less than happy with the change, and that there will be some confussion while fans try to find games on the radio. They also know that some fans will be alienated by having weekday games available only by listening to them on the computer.

We are not like the smaller cities and towns in the league where the WHL team is the main sports property in town. The comparisson I was given was the Calgary Hitmen. They share a media outlet with the Calgary Flames. When the Flames are on the radio, or anything to do with the flames is on, the Hitmen are not on, plain and simple. So there are quite a few games where there is no radio coverage what so ever in Calgary.

So what we are now stuck with, could be a lot worse. Do I personally like the deals? NO. I am quite pissed off that I will not be able to listen to any game that I want on the radio and that I now have to deal with my computer and a static filled station to hear a game. But I do think that the Giants got the best deals that they could. It is frustrating that the Memorial Cup champions don't have a full radio deal, but what are you going to do? At least we have something. Maybe it will change back to the way it was in the future, but this is what we are stuck with this season.

OTHER RADIO NOTES: The team is looking into setting up a system similar to what the canucks have for the people that like to listen to play by play while they are watching the game live. It doesn't sound like it will be up and running to start the season, if it happens at all.

The WHL live format is also in the process of working out the logistics of splitting audio so that for example the Giants fans can choose to either listen to the house play by play or to Joey Kenward. So...no more PG announcers when they get it sorted out!!
Please note, although no boardcode and smiley buttons are shown, they are still useable

Giantsfan
09-23-2007, 03:27 AM
I approached Joey Kenward in Chilliwack & told him I was really pissed off with this new radio deal. I mentioned I knew it wasn't his doing, but none the less I wasn't happy that I couldn't get that station in my car nor at home on the radio there. His response, get a better stereo for my car. That is a joke of a response & an insult! He says he gets it in his car & at his house. Fine, but does he live out of the Vancouver area? Also, I love listening to the post & pre game shows on the radio, but can't do that anymore. This is inexcusable & they've had months to plan an alternate station. IMO, they didn't try hard enough to find a suitable station & they took the cheapest way out.

dondo
09-23-2007, 03:54 PM
had they had the proper people in place GF71, and hired real marketing directors who deal with that kind of thing well in advance they wouldn't be in this pickle -- to actually say we have had it pretty good as fans is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

And getting the BCIT station as a back-up option shows great lack of fore-thought, esp since the feed is non-existent right now. It is striking me that the administrators of this team are reactors. They don't do anything unless its a huge problem right in front of their eyes, and by then its too late.

Radio broadcasts keep fans excited and informed when the team is on the road. Its an advertising tool and something that the fans of a team should expect. To say we are lucky to get coverage is the kind of attitude that we all have been talking about.

Its arrogant, presumptuous and demonstrates a decided lack of regard for their fan base which sadly increased despite their poor marketing, and lack of respect for their fan-base. Had it dipped then maybe they would have felt that there was actually something wrong, but the Mem Cup at home just excited more fans which is good in some ways and bad in others.

GF71
09-23-2007, 04:06 PM
-- to actually say we have had it pretty good as fans is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.

:spineyes:
Why are you so bitter Dondo? Why can't you just be happy with what we have? No it is not ideal, but it could be much worse. At least some of the games are on the radio. Portland does not have any from what I understand?

Section_Z
09-23-2007, 09:23 PM
Why are you so bitter Dondo? Why can't you just be happy with what we have? No it is not ideal, but it could be much worse. At least some of the games are on the radio. Portland does not have any from what I understand?
Portland is a good comparison.....a team that has to compete for coverage with another Major league team....for ice time too....
The alternate arguement, of course, is that if Portland had a decent radio deal, then maybe more fans would get on the Winterhawk Bus.

dondo
09-23-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm bitter because the on-ice management is so good while the off ice management is beyond abysmal. You would think they would invest the same energy and care into the marketing and promotion of the team that they do in the team itself.

It saddens me to have so much wherewithal and latitude to make the off-ice product as good or better than the on-ice product, but they simply don't care. They make it abundantly clear with every promotional gambit they come up with, with the "programs" they present, with the way they treat their fan base.

That said I am happy that they do have a rockin' on-ice management team, as I'd rather carp about the off-ice product, rather than have to give up my seasons due to shoddy on ice product.

Now they need to hire a true off-ice professional and raise the level of the off-ice management team, give some respect back to the fans who support them and make the entire product as excellent as the hockey we all watch.

Swando
09-24-2007, 12:37 AM
I sent in my 2 cents worth by e-mail..I think a few signs up at the rink wouldn't hurt either..especially those close to the glass ..hint hint Dondo!

Smalltime
09-24-2007, 10:08 AM
You say that they have a problem mainly with the enforcers that are there only to fight & have no skills?

To get to the NHL, these players have skill. You actually believe that say Colton Orr or Eric Godard with the amount of icetime Alex Burrow had last season, couldn't have had more than 3 goals? Burrows had 3 goals last season & is a complete *****. Sure he kills penalties but so can anyone if they get the opportunity. What kills me is the idea that Orr (for example) can't play the game! Hell, maybe he's not the fastest skater on the team, but neither were either of the sisters when they arrived. Guys like Burrows are a dime a dozen, & shouldn't be in the NHL. Godard or Orr, or whoever brings an element that none of the Canucks have. They can protect teammates & skate on a 4th line as well as anyone. How much icetime does a 4th liner get anyways? Maybe 3-5 minutes per game. Ya, so no one can convince me that a 4th liner whether it be Orr or Isbister is going to make any difference if the Canucks make or miss the playoffs. This is why I have such a problem with pacifists. They think that having an enforcer is such a terrible idea, yet the Ducks had by far the most fighting majors in the league & won the Stanley Cup. The NHL completely missed the boat. They should promote fighting & physical play because it's part of the game, & the most entertaining part of the game. Nobody is leaving their seats during a fight & MMA or UFC are the fastest rising sports & why do you think that is? Because everyone likes a fight!

I don't think it's a terrible idea at all to have an enforcer. And I agree that a guy like Orr could score a few goals in a season given the opportunity. I guess I'm the only one who has seen NHL enforcers with no other skills that are developed enough to deal with the speed of the better players when no clutching and grabbing are allowed.

Kassian
09-24-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't think it's a terrible idea at all to have an enforcer. And I agree that a guy like Orr could score a few goals in a season given the opportunity. I guess I'm the only one who has seen NHL enforcers with no other skills that are developed enough to deal with the speed of the better players when no clutching and grabbing are allowed.

Keep in mind the enforcers weren't the players doing most of the clutching and grabbing. Shut down lines and even the star players themselves were most guilty of that.

Smalltime
09-24-2007, 05:22 PM
Keep in mind the enforcers weren't the players doing most of the clutching and grabbing. Shut down lines and even the star players themselves were most guilty of that.

Yeah, I definitely know that.

Kassian
09-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Yeah, I definitely know that.

Just making sure. That's another myth a lot of people in the media like to point out when it isn't true at all. It's just easier to stereotype the tough guys and use them as an example for clutching and grabbing.

RunTheGoalie
09-24-2007, 10:40 PM
We are not like the smaller cities and towns in the league where the WHL team is the main sports property in town. The comparisson I was given was the Calgary Hitmen. They share a media outlet with the Calgary Flames. When the Flames are on the radio, or anything to do with the flames is on, the Hitmen are not on, plain and simple. So there are quite a few games where there is no radio coverage what so ever in Calgary.

It is interesting that the Giants refused a system like what the Hitmen have with the Fan960. While it does kinda suck that the Hitmen don't have all 72 games braodcast over the air (they all are over the web, regardless of if they are on the radio or not), but at the same time, nobody is going to draw listeners against the Flames, so not being on the air when such a conflict exists is no loss, really. As it is, the Hitmen still have about 40-50 games broadcast on air.

And the thing about Fan960 is that you can get it pretty much anywhere in the province. In my car, I can get Fan960 in Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, and not too far outside of Cranbrook.

Ultimately, that is a better deal than what it seems the Giants are getting right now... which really sucks for you guys, though it sounds like they did the best they could.

N.W. Bruin
09-25-2007, 01:20 AM
It is interesting that the Giants refused a system like what the Hitmen have with the Fan960. While it does kinda suck that the Hitmen don't have all 72 games braodcast over the air (they all are over the web, regardless of if they are on the radio or not), but at the same time, nobody is going to draw listeners against the Flames, so not being on the air when such a conflict exists is no loss, really. As it is, the Hitmen still have about 40-50 games broadcast on air.

And the thing about Fan960 is that you can get it pretty much anywhere in the province. In my car, I can get Fan960 in Edmonton, Medicine Hat, Lethbridge, and not too far outside of Cranbrook.

Ultimately, that is a better deal than what it seems the Giants are getting right now... which really sucks for you guys, though it sounds like they did the best they could.

I have picked up Fan960 in the lower mainland on a radio quite regularly. Whether it has something to do with weather conditions, the mountains or whatever I am not sure but it comes in often enough so it isn't freakish.

rinkrat
09-25-2007, 08:20 AM
but at the same time, nobody is going to draw listeners against the Flames, so not being on the air when such a conflict exists is no loss, really.

In Vancouver the situation is alot different. There are two distinct fan groups. Sure there are alot of fans that follow both teams but there has been sellouts at both rinks on the same night.
The Giants fans are Giants fans first,not by default. (Of course there are exceptions to this rule.) In fact the Orca's/NHL have alienated a large group of hockey fans,myself being one of them.

Giantsfan
09-25-2007, 08:29 AM
In Vancouver the situation is alot different. There are two distinct fan groups. Sure there are alot of fans that follow both teams but there has been sellouts at both rinks on the same night.
The Giants fans are Giants fans first,not by default. (Of course there are exceptions to this rule.) In fact the Orca's/NHL have alienated a large group of hockey fans,myself being one of them.

Yes, very true. I am another who doesn't give a sh*t for the NHL post lockout. They have completely destroyed the game, more & more every season. Maybe if the NHL capped the Euros at 3 per team I would start watching again. If I wanted to watch European hockey I'd move to Europe.

RunTheGoalie
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM

I've noticed that, actually. The Giants fans I have met in the Dome, and at the Memorial Cup this spring have all been great. A stark contrast to the complete a-holes many Canucks fans come across as being - especially in this city.

The Calgary situation is also different in that the Flames own the Hitmen. It is not in their interest to have the junior team competing with the pros for listeners. Though it is a great situation for cross-promotion.

C.F
09-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I've noticed that, actually. The Giants fans I have met in the Dome, and at the Memorial Cup this spring have all been great. A stark contrast to the complete a-holes many Canucks fans come across as being - especially in this city.

The Calgary situation is also different in that the Flames own the Hitmen. It is not in their interest to have the junior team competing with the pros for listeners. Though it is a great situation for cross-promotion.
Well for what it's worth, the Flames fans here are no better.

One of my biggest pet peeves with some of my fellow Giants fans is the mindset that you have to be a Giants fan or a Canucks fan; not both. I don't see why we should have to pick one over the other, and quite frankly, I don't think there are as many that do than some Giants fans like to let on.

I love the Giants AND the Canucks, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :thumb:

old_time_hockey
09-27-2007, 12:05 PM
Didn't read the whole thread....But has the subject of what fan like myself can do that like to bring my little radio to the game to catch the pre-game show and intermission guests?

At the very least they could have a small FM transmitter in the building like the Nucks had to do when their new fancy scoreboard blocked out 1040's signal from outside.

scrunt
09-29-2007, 11:13 AM
Here's a blog that discusses the radio fiasco and has a few interesting points:

http://communities.canada.com/theprovince/blogs/dubhub/archive/2007/09/27/will-radio-kill-the-vancouver-giants-star.aspx

Steve Ewen keeps track of all that is WHL and also sticks his nose into assorted other sporting events.

Radio making waves for Giants

When the Vancouver Giants first announced that they wouldn't have radio broadcasts of their games Monday to Thursday, I honestly figured it wouldn't affect me.

That's a big fat wrong already. The Giants played their first non-radio game on Wednesday, visiting the Kelowna Rockets. We don't often go on the road during the regular season, and we didn't have much space to fill for a game story in today's paper, but I still wanted to keep up with what was going on.

I also had some errands for the new house my wife and I bought in New Westminster.

A season ago, when all the Giants games were on AM 730, that would have been simple double duty. I guess you truly don't know what you've got until its gone. All the way to Home Depot, I raced up and down my radio dial, trying to find a news station with some sort of update on the game. I was going crazy.

The Giants have some work to do to sell this new set-up -- Friday games on Evolution 107.9, Saturday and Sunday games on CKNW 980, everything else only on the internet -- to their fans and followers.

Much of this stems from Giants owner Ron Toigo being a loyal guy, and he's long had strong ties to Corus Entertainment. Neil Macrae and Bro Jake Edwards routinely are guest coaches for the training camp scrimmage, Rick Dhaliwal breaks more than his fair share of Giants stories and Toigo has great respect for the effort Dan Russell puts into covering the WHL.

You can applaud all that. Still, with rumours that the Giants had an 72-game offer from another station (rumoured to be CISL) and reportedly a 60-plus offer from the Team 1040, you wonder if they would have been better off going elsewhere, even with the overall drawing power that Corus brings to the table.

The radio deal could end up being one of the more interesting stories to watch this Giants season.

I speculated about this a while ago, thinking that there are so many radio options in the Lower Mainland that they could have gotten a full season deal elsewhere, and maybe there is some merit to that:

...with rumours that the Giants had an 72-game offer from another station (rumoured to be CISL)...

While loyalty is a good thing, it's too bad for us that Toigo's stronger loyalty is to Corus rather than us fans. Presumably the business ties he has with the big bad media puts more money in his pocket than the fans do...

dondo
09-30-2007, 02:59 AM
have to agree here --- we get a bastardised version of a "broadcast schedule", which is a hundred compromises rolled into one wad of goo, so Toigo can suck up to Corus -- gimme a freaking break .. go with the guys who will give you the most bang for your and your fans bucks.

Frankly I think it is an absolute tragedy that the ridiculous, lame and awkward schedule we are facing for broadcast this season could easily have been avoided and that if your guy isn't willing to pony up and make the commitment then they lose the deal. Simple isn't it.

The real losers in this are the fans, as they have to remember what station is on what day and hope against hope for a broadcast on that day somewhere. This brands the team in my mind as low-rent, it belittles the team in the eyes of potential fans, and I believe in the long run ruins the momentum that the Memorial Cup brought to the team.

Shame on you Toigo -- think of the fans before your side deals with friends who aren't willing to make a real commitment to the team -- is this who you want broadcasting your team's games?

Time for all of us to storm the walls with an e-mail barrage. Its time to tell the Giants that this kind of practice is unacceptable.

Priceisright
09-30-2007, 09:27 AM
I agree this radio thing is a fiasco. The more I think about it the more it bugs me. I have been a season ticket holder since the teams inception. There is no reason for this to happen. I really thought this was a first class organization but obviously I have a few doubts now.

Anybody have an email address I can send my concerns and thoughts? Last year they had different email addresses of the staff and now they don't.

Their website also sucks, nothing has changed from the past few years. No information worthwhile. I get most of the information via this board-thanks everyone!

An email address would be appreciated. I sent a few emails to the info@ and that falls on deaf ears. Not sure they are even read.

Thanks

Soundy
09-30-2007, 11:09 AM
One of my biggest pet peeves with some of my fellow Giants fans is the mindset that you have to be a Giants fan or a Canucks fan; not both. I don't see why we should have to pick one over the other, and quite frankly, I don't think there are as many that do than some Giants fans like to let on.

I love the Giants AND the Canucks, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. :thumb:

AMEN, BROTHER!

Actually, there's some of the same mentality over on lionbackers.com (not a lot, but some), football people who don't enjoy or just don't get hockey, and so seem to think that nobody else should either. Sorry, but some of us actually enjoy more than one sport, and more than one team! I know there's one or two of them that are probably ready to disown me as a Lions fan because I chose to attend the Giants game last night rather than the Lions game (hey, how many times does your team get to raise a championship banner? as I pointed out, if it was a choice between a Giants game or a Lions GC banner ceremony, I'd take the Lions in that one).

Oddly enough, there's plenty of controversy over there about radio coverage as well, since TEAM 1040 carries both Lions and Canucks games - if they overlap, one or the other will get bumped to 1410 CFUN, and the fact that it's actually the Lions game now and then causes no end of consternation. You wouldn't believe the hue and cry last weekend when the Lions post-game show was cut short to go to the Canucks pre-season game! Oh, the humanity!

Perhaps I'll point them all at THIS thread and tell them again they should be glad they actually GET all the games on the radio... things could be a lot worse!

Soundy
09-30-2007, 11:40 AM

This is something I keep pointing out to the folks on lionbackers.com who complain about the radio coverage (and keep in mind, EVERY Lions game IS on a strong radio station, either 1040 or 1410): we have it pretty good here, and it really could be a lot worse!

When I was in Chicago a few years ago, I tried to find somewhere to watch or listen to a Canucks/Blackhawks game... with no luck. None of the local TV stations carried it. None of the sports networks we could get carried it. None of the local radio stations carried it. I watched the news later that night hoping for scores - nada. I listened to the radio news the next morning - nada. I even listened to the local sports station talk college hoops for almost an hour, hoping for a score - NADA.

THIS IS AN ORIGINAL-SIX CITY, AND NOBODY HAD A SINGLE PEEP ABOUT THE BLACKHAWKS GAME! Now how hurting is that?

I agree, the current radio situation for the Giants is lame, but just remember, IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE!

dondo
09-30-2007, 01:29 PM
that's pretty sad Soundy -- I thought Wirtz only blocked home games from being broadcast on television I had no clue that it extended that far and that's extremely sad for what is supposed to be a progressive city, but really you've gotta look where you are now though.

Being in Chicago you would expect to see and listen to and have coverage of the Bears, the White Sox and Cubbies. There would be a riot if those weren't available on broadcast.

In Canada its hockey. Do the Hitmen have a broadcast deal? Do the Tigers? Hockey fans should fully expect to have coverage of their team available somewhere. The Giants had a nice radio broadcast deal and the fans had come to expect being able to listen to their team when at work on the road nowhere near a computer.

The station formerly carrying the games decided that the Giants weren't that important for their listeners or their programming and had teams like the Canucks and Lions ranked higher on the depth chart. However, according to recent hints the Giants actually did have a full 72 game deal offered to them, but not by a friend of Uncle Ronny so they decided to have a mishmash in the same year their STHs topped 5K. This makes no sense. If the regular provider isn't willing to satisfy your needs, then you go with a deal which will.

Lots of fans listen to the game, while watching the game.. lots of fans listen to away games on the radio to keep up with the team. The current deal insults those fans and hurts the team's visible presence in the city.

The Giants made great strides by hosting the memorial Cup by putting themselves on the radar screen in Vancouver, but this deal ostensibly is a path to destroying all of that awareness, by marginalising the team in the public eye and it sucks because this team is better hockey than they are watching at GM Place right now. It might not be as purely skilled, but it is better hockey and the Giants lost that momentum making a dumb deal like this, primarily because they refuse to hire a real professional to handle this kind of gig.

RunTheGoalie
09-30-2007, 01:53 PM
I agree, the current radio situation for the Giants is lame, but just remember, IT COULD BE A LOT WORSE!

Imagine if that mentality carried forward on the ice?

There is never anything wrong with expecting better.

dondo
09-30-2007, 03:15 PM
I am very happy that the focus for the team is on the ice, but if they were bring that kind of attention to detail to the other side, the Canucks might find themselves with some serious competition -- with the NHL getting too expensive and really not worth sitting in the stands even if you can afford to pay.

Blue collar money is going to be looking for entertainment and a good deal, which Giants most definitely are.

Its odd I'm not really a jersey wearer and usually felt a bit strange wearing a Canucks jersey, but the first time I put on Giants jersey it felt like a well-worn pair of shoes and I never feel self-conscious wearing the colours, in any city.

Maybe its just rooting for the under-dog, but they've got something really special here and the more they dilute it and marginalize it, the more frustrated I get. Mainly because they don't have to and because they have the opportunity to elevate the profile of the team and the game in the city, but they refuse to put the effort in to do so.

C.F
09-30-2007, 05:00 PM
edit.